Author Topic: a purebred saint? not so sure...  (Read 10103 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
a purebred saint? not so sure...
« on: August 29, 2005, 10:12:04 am »
Well we all know how much fun it is to play on Petfinder.com. .. And well I guess I keep finding myself looking at Saint Bernard babies...
Anyhow I found this girl, and granted she is adorable, but a purebred Saint Bernard? That's what they are claiming. I don't consider myself an expert on purebred dogs or anything (I don't even have one!) but this puppy looks strange to me. What do you guys think? If they are claiming she is purebred the adoption fee is $350.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5005897&adTarget=&SessionID=431331c97cae8b9e-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: a purebred saint? not so sure...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:14:43 am »
She looks like a Shep mix to me, but it could be very likely that she's a purebred saint.  Just from a line of very poorly bred dogs.  In Danes, we've seen dogs that have pedigrees way back but that doesn't mean that they look like a Dane.  It's why, in my opinion, it's so important to prove your dog, to keep the integrity of the dog intact.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:15:29 am »
I can almost say for sure that she is not a pure saint, she doesn't seem to have the characteristic markings. But I am no expert, but from seeing all the pics of the saint owners on here she doesn't look like any of them. could be a saint mix

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:19:30 am »
pretty dog...but I see a lot of German Shep...too.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:38:42 am »
sure doesn't look like one... at $350 no less :(

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:44:36 am »
I was just reading the breed standard and she doesn't look that a pure breed acording to the standard. She has the black in her coat on her back, she should only have the dark color on her head.

She is still beautiful.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Blair

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 11:47:41 am »
I think more shepherd then anything. She has that same Saddle that GSD have. Why do places charge more for purebreds? Our Humane Society charges $70 for dogs but if they are purebred they charge $200  ???

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 11:55:58 am »
She really looks like a mix to me. 

If she is purebred - you should be able to track down her AKC registration.  If they have her registered with another organization - forget it - it's likely not right.

With AKC - you can track the lineage - way back.  Not for free, of course, but what is free these days?

I have raised and bred Saints for a number of years now and currently have two that are registered.  One is not show quality, but of good stock, and her pups go for $600 limited and sometimes twice that for full registration.    The other one is still a pup - about 4 months - but she is show quality - lineage is from champions, and she was $2300.    There is quite a price gap between your pup and most purebreds, although you can buy Saints for around $500 on some bulletin boards.  Just be careful.

If you don't need a purebred - those photos show what looks like a very nice dog, but kind of high priced for a mix. 

But - I have to say that there are a great number of Saints that have been poorly bred - sometimes a breeder registers a litter where more than one sire got to the bitch.  It's against the rules - but some are just not playing by those rules.  And it hurts everyone.

If you can wait - our dam was just bred to a sire from good lines and should whelp around Oct 4.   Our pups have been placed all over the nation - some in CA, others in NY, VT, among other states,and even one in Canada.  We don't ship until they are 8 weeks old, and only on Continental because they control the temp in their cargo for pets. 

But, I'm not trying to sell you a pup.  Just letting you know.  You may end up with the sweetest dog - one that you will love forever with the girl you are now looking at.  There is so much more to owning a Saint - or a Saint-mix, than just being a purebred.  I also have a couple of 'mutts' and I wouldn't trade them for the world. 

Good luck with your decision.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 12:10:56 pm »
Sorry no way that's a Saint pup.

Unfortunately many shelters/rescues are playing these games now. From listing mixes as purebreds to listing less desired purebreds as other breeds/mixes.
Example.....So rry this is a Pit not a Vizsla or a GSP or a mix of them in any way shape or form.
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4679856&adTarget=&SessionID=431348b94c0ca6be-app5&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=

We see this alot in our rescue. People email us to tell use about a "Purebred Vizsla" they saw listed at a shelter, 9 times out of 10 its a Rednose or mix of one. When we contact the shelter/rescue to inform them of their "mistake" we are told... if we list it as what it really is it will not got adopted.

Fine , great its a nice dog your trying to find a home for but lets look at the flip side of this...

A family adopts what they think is a Vizsla when its really a Pit. That family happens to live in a city that has a BSL (as mine does) they take their new dog home only to have neighbors question them on the dogs breed. The neighbor then calls the AC who comes out to see what is clearly a purebred Pit. The dog is taken and PTS. (This has happened many times in my neighborhood)

Or..

Family does not live in a BSL city, but one day their home owner insurance company pays them a visit (something these companies do from time to time without warning no they do not come in your home they do an outside assessment).
The dog is outside and the caller sees the dog....this company does not allow Pits or charges extra for owning a dangerous bred (as mine does). Now the family is left to pick... pay higher insurance rates (something they may not be able to afford) or take the dog back to the pound.......
or....
Family does not live in a BSL city or have a homeowners that cares. They however adopted a dog that was suppose to be a purebred Vizsla therefore it should carry typical Vizsla traits not Pit bull traits. This family does not have the skill or ability to properly own and train a dog with Pit bull traits and drive so they dog is returned to the pound.

No matter how it plays out the family and dog lose due to the shelters/rescues lie.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 12:18:55 pm »
Sorry no way that's a Saint pup.

Unfortunately many shelters/rescues are playing these games now. From listing mixes as purebreds to listing less desired purebreds as other breeds/mixes.
Example.....So rry this is a Pit not a Vizsla or a GSP or a mix of them in any way shape or form.
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4679856&adTarget=&SessionID=431348b94c0ca6be-app5&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=

We see this alot in our rescue. People email us to tell use about a "Purebred Vizsla" they saw listed at a shelter, 9 times out of 10 its a Rednose or mix of one. When we contact the shelter/rescue to inform them of their "mistake" we are told... if we list it as what it really is it will not got adopted.

Fine , great its a nice dog your trying to find a home for but lets look at the flip side of this...

A family adopts what they think is a Vizsla when its really a Pit. That family happens to live in a city that has a BSL (as mine does) they take their new dog home only to have neighbors question them on the dogs breed. The neighbor then calls the AC who comes out to see what is clearly a purebred Pit. The dog is taken and PTS. (This has happened many times in my neighborhood)

Or..

Family does not live in a BSL city, but one day their home owner insurance company pays them a visit (something these companies do from time to time without warning no they do not come in your home they do an outside assessment).
The dog is outside and the caller sees the dog....this company does not allow Pits or charges extra for owning a dangerous bred (as mine does). Now the family is left to pick... pay higher insurance rates (something they may not be able to afford) or take the dog back to the pound.......
or....
Family does not live in a BSL city or have a homeowners that cares. They however adopted a dog that was suppose to be a purebred Vizsla therefore it should carry typical Vizsla traits not Pit bull traits. This family does not have the skill or ability to properly own and train a dog with Pit bull traits and drive so they dog is returned to the pound.

No matter how it plays out the family and dog lose due to the shelters/rescues lie.

Well Said! I have a foster dog right now and I have given all the good points and bad of this dog. I don't want him to be adopted out only to be brought back, because he doesn't get along with dogs when I said that he is great with dogs( just an example, he really is great with dogs) Why do people lie it isn't doing the dog a favour, it is harming it in the end.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 12:26:20 pm »
I agree that that pup does not look like a pure St.  It simply does not look clumsy enough to me, and is too well proportioned at such a young age.  No big feet from what I can tell.

I also agree with shelters being WAY off on what they say alot of their dogs are.  Around here, every dog at the shelter is either a pit/lab/aussie/rottie mix. Doesn't matter what the dog looks like, that is what they will say it is.

I went there awhile ago just to see what they had.  I come up to a cage which at first I thought was a heeler mix.  At closer look, it was a blue merle corgi mix.  Do you know what they said it was?  Pit mix.  Now I'm sorry, but how can you confuse a corgi with a pit?  It had a corgi head, the coloring was corgi, and the body and hair type was corgi.

I think they really need to hire people who know their breeds and can give an educated guess as to what they are.  Many pit mixes I have seen are actually what I believe to be American Bulldogs or Mastiff mixes.  They are simply too big to be pits.  Okay, I'm done with my rant.  Carry on........

Blair

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 12:35:56 pm »
Down here I see a lot of those rare chocolate Weimer.  ::) When they are really liver GSPs, and purebred. I have contacted a couple of shelters to let them know. Everyone I contacted emailed me back and thanked me for letting them know and has changed their website.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 12:41:39 pm »
When I was still working at a vet clinic, I met a guy who had a chocolate dog.  I asked if it was a weim or viszla mix.  He claimed it to be a mix of a weim and viszla.  That was before I knew GSP's came in solid chocolate.  If I had known that then, I would have enlightened him.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 12:51:38 pm »
I think more shepherd then anything. She has that same Saddle that GSD have. Why do places charge more for purebreds? Our Humane Society charges $70 for dogs but if they are purebred they charge $200  ???

Our humane society charges the same for purebred. When I was looking for a pyr the humane society had a pyr mix (was listed as such) and still charged the $200. I couldn't believe it. People are willing  pay those prices. The humane society said no kids under 10 because of the size. I thought that was ridiculous when there are so many unwanted dogs. I don't have any problems with my pyr and my two year old.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 01:15:48 pm »
Down here I see a lot of those rare chocolate Weimer.>>>

LOL Yes we get chocolate Vizslas also and Vizslas that have those funny black noses ::)