Author Topic: How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?  (Read 68648 times)

SaintBernardLuver

How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?
« on: August 30, 2005, 11:34:50 am »
Hi...I have a 13 week old saint bernard puppy..Her name is megzy and she is a female.Wheneve r I take her out I get comments on how small she is for her age.Shes 13 weeks and weighs about 25 to 30lbs.Is that normal weight for a saint puppy her age and will she groow tp be a 70lbs dog by 7 months like I see most saints are?Help!

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:53:31 am »
I think because you have a female she will be smaller.  How much did her parents weigh?  I think Brutus was about 40lbs at 13 weeks. He will be 6 months on the 6th of Sept and he's pushing 100lbs.  He is not overweight at all, just a big boy.  His daddy was 200lbs.

SaintBernardLuver

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 11:59:58 am »
Her mom was about 140lbs and the dad I think was 200lbs.Do u think she will be atleast over 140lbs when shes full grown? O0o and I heard when saints turn 6 months they go through a big growth spirt and they grow and get real ugly someone told me they call it the stump uglies is this true?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 12:08:41 pm by SaintBernardLuver »

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 01:02:14 pm »
My chart says at 13 weeks that a female Saint should be 38.8 lbs and a male is 40 lbs.  These are averages and I found were often low.  At 13 weeks Maxwell was 47.8 lbs.  The website to find the chart is www.acay.com.au/~dissi/sbc/weight.htm 

Now don't panic.  These are average weights in the 1950's.  Saints have been bred bigger and bigger and that is why I think Max was on the high end for every week.  When he was a baby my husband and I weighed him every week and marked his progress next to the rows on the chart until we could lift him no more.  We stopped doing it at 21 weeks.  He was 76.3 lbs and the weigh ins were harder as he would be struggling to get out of Mark's arms.  We really had fun with it but don't be too alarmed if your dog is off.  If she looks healthy and her ribs aren't too prominent, she's fine.  Anyway, you want your dog to grow as slowly as she can.  That way her joints and bones aren't too distressed.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 01:06:09 pm »
http://www.acay.com.au/~dissi/sbc/weight.htm

For some reason the link won't work but if you type this on your browser, it will work.  I tried it today.

SaintBernardLuver

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 02:12:13 pm »
She is about 30lbs i think i havent weighed her for 2 weeks but even if shes a lil smaller will she grow up be over atleast 130lbs do you think? and will she hit a growth spirt at 6 months and gain more i just want her to be over 130lbs?

awo

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 05:33:07 pm »
I think your puppy is on the right track, however I'm wondering what food you feed her and how much?  Does she have a big back yard or a crate to sleep in and how much play time.

awo

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 05:48:08 pm »
I'm sure she'll be 130 at least.  Maxwell's Mom was 150.  Do you have any pictures of her?  You should post some.  The females can be a bit smaller then the males.  The growth spurts are constant and will happen all year long.  You'll notice it weekly and other people will notice it more if they haven't been seeing her everyday.  At a young age we brought Maxwell to obedience and his classes were once a week and the other owners were shocked at how he grew every week.  He went from one of the smallest dogs in the group to the largest in 8 weeks.   Maxwell is about 160 now at 1 and he's tall and a bit lanky still.  He's getting over the teenager look and is starting to fill out a bit.  I figure 40 more lbs and he'll be full grown.  I'm going to try to keep him on the slim side if at all possible. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:06:53 pm »
I think that she sounds perfectly normal. With saint bernards, you want to try and have them grow slowly to protect their hips, and at that age, your goal should be about 3lbs of weight gain a week. That doesn't mean she won't grow to be huge, just that it will take a bit to get there.

At 13 weeks, my Zoey weighed about 33lbs and now she is 130 at 14 months.
RIP former BPO

SaintBernardLuver

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 09:45:49 am »
Thanx guys for all your help.I am feeding her pedigree puppy about 4 times a day and 1 and 1.2 cups everytime.Is that enough or any suggestions on what I should feed her..im sorry for all the questions.Im just a new mom to a saint and im scared im going to do sumthin wrong or sumthing.Any advice you guys can give me on anything is much welcomed.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 02:36:11 pm »
I would recommend a different kind of food for your little one. Pedigree puppy isn't great for a giant breed dog. A better suited food would be one that was made for large breeds or there has even been alot of discussion about feeding adult food to our large babies. Pedigree could make her grow too fast (even though she isn't doing that now- her time will come) and this could cause some major health problems down the road. Good luck with your saint!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 03:09:37 pm »
Just to give you a suggestion for what to feed your Saint. We feed Brutus Eukanuba Large Breed Formula.  It seems to be doing a good job.  And don't worry if your Saint is a little off on that weight chart.  Brutus was 10lbs. heavier at 4 months and 5 months then the chart indicated.  He's getting weighed tonight so it'll be interesting to see if he remains on the same curve.

Offline saints4life25

• Gnawer
  • Some of my very saintly crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 01:15:09 pm »
i feed diamond large breed puppy to my pups until they are 5 weeks old then they are moved to diamond large breed adult
i woul dnever feed my pups pedigree food at all

Jamie, brian, colton, nicholas, cassie, and the saintly crew whos names are: Budwieser bigmouth, saint polly girl, miss taqiula rose, hillsides tank of beer, hillsides keep n' the faith, connie fannie, beefy, jigsaw, poppy. oh yeah dont forget the horses and the geese and all 15 birds

SaintBernardLuver

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 01:45:54 pm »
well where I live they dont have Diamond so ill switch her to eukanewba or however u spell it lol....and ill get the adult kind....but saint4life you are a breeder is my puppy a good weight shes 13 weeks and weighs 35lbs do you think she will be over 130lbs or so...?

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 06:17:28 am »
I think because you have a female she will be smaller. How much did her parents weigh? I think Brutus was about 40lbs at 13 weeks. He will be 6 months on the 6th of Sept and he's pushing 100lbs. He is not overweight at all, just a big boy. His daddy was 200lbs.
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!