Author Topic: How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?  (Read 68791 times)

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 06:17:54 am »
I think because you have a female she will be smaller. How much did her parents weigh? I think Brutus was about 40lbs at 13 weeks. He will be 6 months on the 6th of Sept and he's pushing 100lbs. He is not overweight at all, just a big boy. His daddy was 200lbs.
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Go Crazy About Weight!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 06:24:55 am »
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*The Reason I Say this to you is molly is Big, yes But Our first Maggie was small, she came in at 14 pounds know she is at least 125 and only 10 mo and they Grow Till they are 2/1/2  /don't tell my Husband she could Eat!! she could be 175 easy!! molly is 45 at 15 weeks soooo how big will she be Let's just say,We Better Hit The Lotter  :PTonight!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)Love marylee :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 09:17:28 am »
Molly Dad is about 2.50 mom is 2.20 they say dad looks like a Bull!! That is Why i think molly will be.Huge,I Will stay in touch,she eats like a Bull!!!marylee!!

Offline bigdoghouse

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 09:34:14 am »
I had a male Saint that grew to 225 when he was younger than 5, then down to a lean 200 between 5 and 7.5 years.  I fed him puppy chow for large breeds until he was about 2.5 years old, since that was about when he quit growing.  He got to eat as much as he wanted and was never fat--he was a slow grazer thourghout the day when it came to food.  He ate a VERY large mixing bowl of food until he was about 2.5 years old, then down to about 3-4 cups a day of Kirkland basic dog food from Costco (he was a lazy dog and didn't expend a lot of energy). I also started him on chondroitin/glucosamine (which I bought at costco) when he was about 4 just to help keep his joints lubed before he had any problems.  At 7.5 years old, he had no health problems, no joint problems or any sign of arthritis/dysplasia when he died of unnatural causes. 

Offline Fly-Fast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 12:18:04 pm »
please post LOTS of puppy pics!!!!

Offline Jen and Rick

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 09:11:45 am »
Your puppy sounds very normal to me. I can hardly wait to see the pics!

With giant breed dogs, it's crucial to feed them carefully for the first 2 years since their bones can literally grow faster than their bodies can handle.  Eagle Pack Natural is a great food for giant breed puppies.  Here is a good article to read on the topic.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/do_i_need_to_use_a_puppy_food.htm

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 06:41:10 am »
I also feed the kirkland brand from Costco...It has the proien and fat and calcium levels right in the range that it should be for a saint.We feed the lamb and rice.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 06:52:17 am »
Not to sound off but why does your dog need to weigh a certain amount...as long as she is healthy should be what matters
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 08:20:39 am »
I was thinking the same thing Babs. 

She might be big or she might be on the smaller size.  Are you showing her?  Are you concerned with reaching weight goals for that reason?  I don't even know what the average weight is for a female saint, but if she's just a pet, just love her.  Hey, it worked for Clifford. :D
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How much a Saint Bernard puppy should weigh?As Much,as Us!!!!!1
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 10:21:26 pm »
:-*She is doing really Good,!! she is 4,mo,and went to the vet,yesterday and weigh's 66.pound'sshe is fed Eagle pack,just as her sister.and lot's vit,min's and supment;s  ::)nothing but the best! oh and her farther is 250 ;) and mother is 200 :DAnd let me tell you she eat's we also add fresh Beef cooked Grilled only and Chicken and on a Really Cold Day a bowl of soup After all they are Human's Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) 8) :Dlove maggie ;)Molly ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 12:34:51 am »
just got back from the vet. wow. nikki's seriously small.. 9 months now, only 75#s. i figured avg 10# per month putting her target by ~90# by now... she was the runt of the litter but this is kinda... scary small for a saint, no?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2005, 09:59:46 am »
Not to sound off but why does your dog need to weigh a certain amount...as long as she is healthy should be what matters

IMO there is nothing wrong with monitoring a pup's weight and growth patterns. I find it fascinating and fun to compare weights of different pups of the same age. I have collected a bunch of reference charts with the growth patterns of different breeds, I consider it a study and a fulfillment of curiosity. You wouldn't question a parent who wants to make sure thier human kid was growing at a healthy rate and weighed a good amount, now would you?

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 10:01:46 am »
You missed my point...A pup isnt going to be exact weight as another saint pup...I too chart both my growing pup and it is very interesting but saints have a big varitey in adult weights...as long as the dog is healthy and happy is what truly matters
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 10:19:36 am »
BabT-  :) yes let's be thankful everyone is healthy and happy!

TonyC- in Nikki's pawprint profile it says she weighs 90 lbs... what are you trying to pull on us here? ;) Which is it, 75 or 90?  ;D
She might just end up being one of those low 100's female saints, or maybe her growth will take years and she'll eventually achieve hugeness!! I have studied some Saint Bernard growth since Nigel is part Saint, and you probably have a pretty healthy situation on your hands if she is growing nice and slow.  :)

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 10:10:08 am »
Im sorry Nikki, i was so tired last night i did get back to you it wii take two years for her to get full grow anyway,? what is she eating let me know i can help,? first how big are her parent's ? that will tell you her size so if her farther is 200,? and her mom 125she might be 100 so don't worry and she is still a pup!!! has a lot of growing please what are u feeding her? We Use Eagle pack high in vit, we chop meat in they love it and eat about six cups a day molly is 5 mos 75pounds,maggie is 11mos 120 will post a new pic of soon!try new thing!!! a choper is great!!!love molly&Maggie!!!!!