Author Topic: DEW Claw Removal or NOT?????  (Read 10662 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
DEW Claw Removal or NOT?????
« on: September 01, 2005, 09:26:58 am »
Asking advice, getting mixed reviews from Vets.  Should I have my Great Pyrenees Double Dew Claws removed or not? 
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: DEW Claw Removal or NOT?????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:36:16 am »
HMM I have heard that it is not necessary to remove them, just keep them trimmed, IF you are ever going to show him ir her then you can not get them removed. It is a breed standard.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:56:08 am »
You have hit on my pet peave here..lol  NO!  Please do not remove the dewclaws!  Why would you?  Some idiot vet that knows nothing of the breed, or some well intending person is saying "they may catch on something and get torn"..   So let me give you some facts from the other side of the coin and you decide.

First off, double dew-claws are an indication of a pure-bred.  Second off they have a purpose.  The experts are not sure what they are but Im going to offer my opinion here.  They help stablize the foot when they push off from something or make a wider foot for tramping through the snow (remember your dogs history, they are a mountain dog and a working dog).  Second off, removing the dew claws is a major surgery.  And your dog will go through a lot of pain.  And thirdly, I have raised strictly Pyrs for 20 years now and have yet to see one torn and my dogs are working dogs.

Hope this input helps you decide.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 11:11:53 am »
I'll chime in with Jackie here.  IF the dew claws are removed (on any breed as far as I know), it's usually done in the first FEW weeks of life, before they're even released for sale to other owners.  It IS major surgery.  And like Jackie said, they are there for a purpose to work for the dog and his unique physiology.  Just keep up on trimming them.  And since your little one is still a puppy, now is the BEST time to learn good grooming manners.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 11:20:41 am »
The only reason to trim Dews on a dog is if they're loose.  And I have seen what happens when they rip off and it's NASTY.  That's on the front legs though, I've never heard of it happening on the back.  But I do agree that it's major surgery when they're older because its all bone.  But I don't know ANYTHING about Pyrs.  I'd take Jackie's advice here  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:22:13 am »
You have hit on my pet peave here..lol  NO!  Please do not remove the dewclaws!  Why would you?  Some idiot vet that knows nothing of the breed, or some well intending person is saying "they may catch on something and get torn"..   So let me give you some facts from the other side of the coin and you decide.

First off, double dew-claws are an indication of a pure-bred.  Second off they have a purpose.  The experts are not sure what they are but Im going to offer my opinion here.  They help stablize the foot when they push off from something or make a wider foot for tramping through the snow (remember your dogs history, they are a mountain dog and a working dog).  Second off, removing the dew claws is a major surgery.  And your dog will go through a lot of pain.  And thirdly, I have raised strictly Pyrs for 20 years now and have yet to see one torn and my dogs are working dogs.

Jackie
I'm with Jackie 110% here!!!!....I made the mistake that I regret daily of having Samson's hind dewclaws removed at the advise of my vet...IT IS NOT A SIMPLE SURGERY!!!!...Samson ended up with EIGHT stitches on each foot & I don't mean tiny little stitches either!!!...The site was huge!!!...My brother called him "Frankendog" :'( It was truley horrendous!!!...I only wish I'd taken pictures but, when I saw what I had done to my poor baby, I just wanted it to go away!!!!!!!!!!!...The dewclaws on a Great Pyr are more attached & a bony protrubance... They aren't just hanging there!...Ann saw what it looked like because I was so upset I took him over to her house & I will ask her to chime in here on what she saw...Dewclaw removal should never be done after a pup is 3 days old as before that (they say) the central nervous system is not developed enough for th pups to feel it...Same theroy as a male child's circumcision.. .PLEASE please do not do this Dyson...I promise, if you do, you will regret it. :'(

ann

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 11:44:40 am »

i did   see  samson after his were removed and it was terrble chelle  was  so  upset , please listen to the advice from those who know..

good luck

POOP NAZI

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 03:45:47 pm »
We had Seamus' removed at 4 months when he was neutered, per the advice of our vet.  I once saw my friend's dog rip hers and it was really painful for her.  That combined with the vet's advice we removed them. 

He recovered fine, but he now has these VIOLENT scars on his legs.  It makes me feel bad everytime I see them.  He also has some scar tissue built up a little, and I think it might irritate him.   I totally regret removing them!
Take it from someone who knows, it isn't really worth it. 

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 07:02:25 pm »
NN      N        OOO      !
N  N    N      O       O    !
N    N  N      O       O    !
N      NN      O       O    !
N        N        OOO       .

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:53:11 am »
Thank you all so much.  Dyson will definitely keep his Dew Claws and I will pass this information to his brother and sister's owners to let them decide.   My wife and I were on the edge side of NO, thanks for pushing us over....   :)
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Jen

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 09:34:50 am »
Hi Jackie,

Also, didn't I read somewhere (I read alot on Pyrs) that the Pyrs double dew claw is more of a paw
with a much different bone structure than another breed with singles.  Maybe thats why with Pyrs it is NOT simple surgery.  I was appauled that my vet wanted to remove them.  I switched vets.  Also I really want to stress to the breeders out there that they should explain the facts of the double dews to the people that are going home with a puppy.  I really have to question the breeder that doesn't.

Jen

Jackie

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 11:57:47 am »
Thank you all so much.  Dyson will definitely keep his Dew Claws and I will pass this information to his brother and sister's owners to let them decide.   My wife and I were on the edge side of NO, thanks for pushing us over....   :)
I'm glad you decided no!...I am all about choices but dewclaw removal on Pyrs is, in my experience, not the right choice...I seriously regret it every day.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 12:17:05 pm »
I've never heard of a problem with back Dewclaws being ripped off.  The only problem I ever heard was that they can grow into the skin if not clipped often enough or properly.  I've had to help clip lots of dogs and cats that have had that happen.  Poor critters. 

Front dewclaws however, do get ripped off.  I had a greyhound rip his off, it was horrible and took forever to heal.  Luckily they normally do it when they're only a couple days old, then its no problem.  However when they get older, it becomes much more complicated.  Especially if they're not just a loose flap of skin.

I think you made the right decision for  him.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 04:13:40 pm »
NN      N        OOO      !
N  N    N      O       O    !
N    N  N      O       O    !
N      NN      O       O    !
N        N        OOO       .
And don't EVEN get me started on circumcision!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 04:16:49 pm »
I vote no on dew claw removal, ear cropping, and any other form of mutilaton!!