Author Topic: Since Spike taking a walk has not been the same!  (Read 3098 times)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Since Spike taking a walk has not been the same!
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:58:14 am »
I was thinking about that last night when we were on the 2nd walk of the day ( he gets 2 one at 5 a short one just to let some energy out when I get home and one around 7:30 when it has cooled off and we can take our time and walk near the water there is a little quarry by my moms house) anyway I was just thinking we cannot walk out the front door without having to stop.
I have noticed some things all kids want to touch Spike but the smaller the kids the less nervous they seem about touching Spike the older they seem to hesitate a little and the kids always seem to just know he is a puppy when adults for the most part think he is full grown. And kids want to hug and get slobbers adults want to ask questions and anyone with a dog seems to want to get me let their dog play with Spike even people with tiny chis seem to want to see Spike and their dog play Now Spike does have his friends I let him play with as much as possable
Zak (german Shepard) and Snowball ( not sure the breed but somekind of scottie)  And he has to stop and play with both of them. But everyone seems to think it is amazing that he is a Great Dane and just seem to have to touch him. I don't mind the questions cause then people will see the breed for the loving lap dogs they are and he loves it but I would like everynow and then to be able to just walk me and him. He is just my baby to me I really don't think of him like this powerfull massive regal purebreed he's just my little booger who likes to eat socks and the occasional kitty litter treat. Does anyone know what I mean?  Sorry this is not a rant but just my thoughts. Im bored at work!LOL

Rachael and Spike aka the kid magnet

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Since Spike taking a walk has not been the same!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:07:58 pm »
He is just my baby to me I really don't think of him like this powerfull massive regal purebreed he's just my little booger who likes to eat socks and the occasional kitty litter treat. Does anyone know what I mean? 

Rachael and Spike aka the kid magnet

Heh heh, Ranger is not a purebred dog, but I know exactly what you mean at least about the difference between how other percieve your dog and how you do. 

When Ranger was in his special "reactive dog" class he was very uncomfortable with the situation at first, and acted a lot more aloof than he usually does, especially with the trainers.  They would always say things like "Oh, Ranger is so regal"  "He is so dignified looking".  I would always think "Have you MET him?"  I could not believe they were talking about MY goofy dog.

Then on the last day of class, when he was finally relaxed enough to show his true self, and spent the whole time with his tongue hanging out the corner of his mouth, showing people his belly and demanding them to RUB IT!, the trainers finally said "Oh yeah, we see what you mean".   ;D

(Heh heh, maybe Ranger needs a t-shirt that says RUB IT!)

I feel the same way when I look at Babs' dog Zero.  He is so majestic to me, and so regal and dignified that I am in awe of him every time I see his picture.  But I know that to her, that is just her baby!   :)  I would probably be one of the annoying people pestering her with questions, when she just wants to take a walk!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 12:32:50 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:14:35 pm »
At least three times a week I walk my crew after dark, or before 6 AM. It is cooler, and the hordes of people are either in the house or unwilling to approach such large dogs in the dark. Those are the only times that I can do a serious training walk without a bazillion interruptions.
Stella

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 12:29:24 pm »
I know exactly what you mean!  lol 

I used to be extremely shy before I got Tenchi, however taking him out in public has sort of forced me to deal with his attention "issues".   ;o)  I'm still pretty quiet, but I've learned to be more comfortable when out with him.  I guess that Tenchi gets noticed easily because he is bright white and spotted,  and also he is kind of tall at 38" at the shoulder. 

The two absolute worst times(for me) was at the 4th of July fireworks in my hometown of Naugatuck, CT and at the Memorial Day parade in Lee, MA,  both this year.  During the parade, the people IN it were stopping and pointing at us on the sidewalk.  I felt like crawling behind Tenchi or hiding under a rock somewhere.  Then at the fireworks everyone was yelling and hollering "OMG  what a BIIIIIIG DOG!!!!"  and either shrieking and moving away or running over to him to pet him.  Luckily for Tenchi, he can't 'hear' the chaos that he causes, but he sure does bask in all the loving that he gets.

I'm with you though, I love bringing him places since he's so laidback and friendly but sometimes I wish that I could go out in public without getting accosted by dozens of people.  :ox  However I use it as good publicity for deaf or deaf/blind dogs making great pets.  So in the end I guess its worth the inconvience for me if it opens up some peoples eyes and hearts.  Though that doesn't mean I still don't wish for anonomynity sometimes.  ;o)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

smohr

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 02:17:19 pm »
So Spike likes the occasional kittie litter treat too, hummm?   :D  I got a covered cat box, turned it away facing the wall with just enough room for our old cat (gave her some privacy too - since the dogs were so curious about what she was doing in there) and then they couldn't get to the "treats".  Ha.