Author Topic: I am very proud of Maia  (Read 5568 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
I am very proud of Maia
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:51:51 am »
Maia has done very well with the move into the new house, getting used to a new person living with us, and having people in and out.  She has gotten startled twice and barked and hid but I am still proud.  I had a friend from Cincy in this weekend which I thought would throw Maia off but she got so excited to see Andrea and was just trying to follow her around all weekend. 
Maia now goes willing and quietly to her cage at night instead of barking for an hour like she did the first two nights that I put her back in her cage to sleep.  If the TV is too loud or my roommate and I are moving around too much she goes and hangs out in the basement.  Rocco of course has to stay in the middle of all the action and get in the way.  When the doorbell rings she automatically goes to the basement (I put them down there when it rings as not to scare the neighbors). 
She even got loose from her tie out (we don't have the fence yet because it is like 2 degrees and snow covered ground) and didn't run she just came and stood by me like "Hey. can you fix this so I can continue to butt my head into the snow then cry because it is cold".

Our next hurdle is teaching her it is ok to turn her back on other people (she is fine with me), good things happen when you turn your back.  Then we will work on not barking because someone is walking down the stairs, they are not really trying to get you.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: I am very proud of Maia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:09:04 am »
You go Maia..... ;D What a good girl she is, I am not sure if I am just getting old and forgetful or what lol. But I cant remember that I had heard you had those kind of problems with her before.

It is always really hard to take the fear factor out of dogs that has for some reason gotten into their heads that it is super dangerous. It sounds like you and Maia are on the way to a really good and not too afraid future  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:11:06 am »
She was always a little afraid of new people but after we moved she took to barking and tail tucking whenever she saw any people, even if they were miles away.  I got some advice and worked with her with getting her to look to me for instructions when she was afraid and it really worked. (at what it costed, it better have worked.)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 10:18:37 am »
Way to go Maia! I'm so proud of the strides she's making. Good for you mommy.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:36:42 am »
Way to Go Maia!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 03:13:18 pm »
Whoohoo!! You go Maia!  Keep up the good work, and soon you'll be a model citizen.   ;)