Author Topic: Sam jumped out the van window!  (Read 5034 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Sam jumped out the van window!
« on: September 02, 2005, 10:40:51 am »
My hubby & I took the dogs to town as we always do...We stopped at a gas station & I took Pippin out to potty in the grass not 10 feet from our van while my hubby was in the store...I wasn't 4 steps from the van & Sam was out there with me too!!...I didn't close the window thinking he would stay put if I was right there where he could see me...I was wrong!!...This gas station is right above Walmarts parking lot & right next to a busy highway...It scared the crap out of me & freaked Sam out too!....IĀ  never before & never will again leave the window open even if I am right there!...I see people with dogs on the back of their trucks & the dogs stayeven when they go into stores...My dog jumped out the friggin' window & I was 3 feet away!!...My dog is 'tarded. :-\
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:34:27 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Sam jumped out the van window!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 10:43:19 am »
Lady did that once at Rite-Aid.  :)  they just want to be with you.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 10:50:08 am »
Omg, isn't that petrifying!   :o I'm so glad that Sam's ok.  We had a similar experience last year.  My heart was racing for like an hour afterwards, I can imagine how you felt!

I had brought my car in for an oil change, and nearby they have a railtrail(those paved biking/walking paths), so I brought Tenchi along with me to walk with while waiting for the car to be done.  The garage was on the corner of a busy intersection, so I rolled up the windows a bit before going in to give them the keys.  Mind you, Tenchi had never jumped over anything in his life...   :-\  I go in and shut the door behind me, all of a sudden the guy at the register shouts, "Look at that huge dog!!!"  I turn around and Tenchi(who is deaf) had lept out of one of the rolled up windows and luckily had ran right to the door where he had seen his mommy enter.  I grabbed him quickly, thanking God that he was a mommy's boy and had run to me instead of exploring or going behind the car RIGHT INTO TRAFFIC!  Yikes. 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 12:58:13 pm »
heh... COOL!

1 time, my old newfie X FLEW out of my Miata when i had the top down....

i guess i turned too sharply? i mean.. it's a miata, you're s'pose to drive it like you stole it..   :-\

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 01:06:44 pm »
My guys are too lazy to actually jump out the window.  My Dad likes to say that the gas fumes of riding in a car put both me and my dogs right to sleep.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
that is a great place to sleep!  Lady and Grace sit in the back and fart.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 01:46:47 pm »
OMG! How scary Gypsy!! Good thing you were not moving.

When Bear was little he ddid this. Michael was driving down the street and barely passed the dog park at about 5mph to get a soda before going there. Apparently Bear did not like the fact that they passed the park so he jumped out of the moving car in to the street. Michael slammed on the brakes, and luckily no cars were nearby, and scooped up baby Bear (4 mos. old) and then called me. I thought I would have a heart attack. No bruises, cuts or scrapes- just heart failure and a good case of shock and "never do that again" hit him.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 04:25:29 pm »
I had my sisters little cocker "Cookie"  in my car in the front seat.  Had the windows down...  I was at a syop light in front of a park in the middle of rush hour and out cookie goes throught the window...I almosr died.  Threw the car and park and ran around to get her..thankfull y I got her before the light turned green.  Vegas drivers don't even stop for people let alone dogs....  Very scarey!!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 06:00:58 pm »
So many car jumpers! I would have been most scared in jabears shoes - the thought of a puppy jumping out of a moving car terrifies me.

When Zoey was smaller she jumped out of the car window too! She was like 3 months old or something and we had taken her to visit family. I was in the house saying my goodbyes and Dan went out and put Zoey in the car  with the windows half down. Then he realized he forgot something so he went back in the house. When I got outside a minute later, Dan was standing in front of the door trying to get inside. Because of that we never leave the windows down more than a few inches when she's in the car.

RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 06:19:04 pm »
It's so scary when they jump out of cars!  I do have to admit that these stories reminded me of another one--and gave me a bit of a laugh.

When our first newfie, Molly, was about a year old I drove to Dairy Queen to get some ice cream.  I parked near the door and went in.  The window of my tiny Toyota Tercel was completely down.  In the middle of ordering, the girl behind the counter looked toward the door, her eyes opened wide, and her face turned completely white.  She said "is that your dog?" and pointed.  Sure enough, Molly had jumped out of the window and pushed open the door to Dairy Queen.   ::)  She came right up to the counter with an expression like "don't forget to order me some too, mom."   ;D  The poor girl at the counter was terrified.  Molly really enjoyed her ice cream, though!  ;D

Jessica

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 08:58:03 pm »
Sorry..no pics Kook!...I FREAKED!...You have to understand that a VERY busy highway with Walmart traffic going onto it was WAY too close for comfort!...I COULD NOT believe that my 110# dog had come out the window & was now panicing & heading down over the hill to Walmart!...When I yelled "SAM"! he thought he was in trouble & started to take off!...I got it together quickly & started telling him it was o.k. & I knew he was scared & mama was scared too...He stoped then & I approached him VERY slowly & was able to grab his collar...I was shaking in my flip flops but managed to keep the presence of mind to praise him to high heaven for stopping so I could catch him...I never forget for a second what I learned in my research before I got my 1st dog. (Samson) It is phrased in the form of a joke but it is no laughing matter & it goes like this: Q: What do you call a Great Pyrenees off leash...A: GONE!!! :-\ :'(

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 10:13:02 pm »
Q: What do you call a Great Pyrenees off leash...A: GONE!!! :-\ :'(
Another answer to the same question. Dis-a-Pyr

Earl and Kendra stay leashed in the back of my SUV (for short trips) I leave the leash clipped with a carribeiner to the luggage tie-down build into the floorboard. With the 6' leash they have they can jump down, but can't run away.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 10:34:03 pm »
Q: What do you call a Great Pyrenees off leash...A: GONE!!! :-\ :'(
Another answer to the same question. Dis-a-Pyr

Earl and Kendra stay leashed in the back of my SUV (for short trips) I leave the leash clipped with a carribeiner to the luggage tie-down build into the floorboard. With the 6' leash they have they can jump down, but can't run away.
Pupdaddy, have you ever known a Pyr that could be trusted off leash?...I know my boys aren't the ones..lol...bu t I am curious...The rescue I was trying to work with when I was considering a 2nd Pyr said people that think they'll get the Pyr that can be boundery trained but can't is the # 1 reason for them being put into rescue....When we are in public & people admire Sammy & Pippin & express their interest in having "one" it is the thing I stress the most...A close 2nd is the barking matter. :-\ :)