Author Topic: Hi, New here - Need help in deciding if I belong here on "Big Paws!"  (Read 24405 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, New here - Need help in deciding if I belong here on "Big Paws!"
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 04:11:52 pm »
I do not know too much about dogs, so I can't really help you. But I did want to welcome you and tell you she is big, beautiful and definently belongs here!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 04:43:03 pm »
What a cutie! Labs usually like the water. She could also have some Hound in her. Hounds are very vocal. Dozer talks and moans all the time. I can also see where there could be some Rhodesian Ridgeback. It doesn't really matter what breed she is. She looks like a Sweetheart to me.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 04:46:21 pm »
By looking at her, I'd say Rosie is either 95 or 100% lab.  She may have a bit of a mix in her but labs do differ a lot in looks.  My guess is she's a purebread sans papers.  She's a doll.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 04:47:22 pm »
She's very cute.

I would say Labrador Retriever too.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 06:08:58 pm »
She looks like a Lab to me.  There is the English (stocky) type and the American.  The English is more like the Labs you see in the dog shows that are more blocky.  They tend to be more on the laid back side from what I have seen.   The American tends to be more leggie and don't have the big block head like the English.  They are bred for hunting and are very energetic.  I have seen many different looks to the American type.  Maybe because the breeding is for hunting purposes and not conformation, I am guessing. Thus people breed the dogs for what they do and not what they look like and you may not get the "typical" Lab look?  Im no Lab expert...but I worked for a Animal Shelter that had every type of Lab and Lab mix imaginable. I was amazed at what a variety I saw on a daily basis within just one breed.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 07:03:28 pm »
Actually, I think the distinction is not vs. English or American "type", it is bench vs field type.

A good bench dog will do well here or in the UK.

The field type dogs look NOTHING like a bench dog. They are VERY big, and VERY tall, and without the chunky head.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 07:26:18 pm »
I agree with the last few folks.  My first instinct was a lab/ golden retriever mix.  Too me she has the body and face of a lab, but the coloring of a golden.  She is beautiful.  I love her golden coat.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 08:05:18 pm »
LOL about the snoring!  Yes, Betti snores louder than anything I've ever heard, too.  It's like a rhinoceros lying in the room...some large Jumanjee beast shaking the walls all night long.

About your pup's heritage...I recently read something that made a lot of sense to me.  It was about mixed breed dogs and how it is extremely difficult to tell exactly what "many" are mixtures of, because many mixed breeds come from a very lengthy lineage of other mixed breeds.  Does that make sense?  I have a rottweiler lab mix.  I saw his mother and she was a short, English-style black labrador.  The father was reputed to be a large male rottie that ran around the neighborhood.. .kind of a gigolo so-to-speak....obviously!!!!!!

But, I found that interesting to ponder the aspects of mixed breed heritage and how far back the mixing can occur, making it nearly impossible to pinpoint the exact mixture of specific breeds that make up the genetic material in one particular dog.  It makes sense to me after I thought about it.

And, like the silly example of "brown eyes are dominant" that they teach in entry level biology at community college...four generations of brown-eyed parents can quite likely have a grey-eyed offspring.  Genetics are funny that way...with certain traits lying dormant for many cycles, until, finally something pops up that resembles some feature of one g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandparent long ago...such as the ridgeline of a Rhodesian ridgeback or the curled tail of a husky, or the wrinkles of a shar-pei...or the combination of such a bouillabaisse ends up producing an individual that appears to be mixed purebreds that he/she is, in fact, not. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 01:02:48 am by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 09:48:14 pm »
Hi there, I am my no means a dog expert but my looking at her she is mostly if not all lab. she could have something else in her not sure what. I have a lab mix that I got from the SPCA. I think Harley is mixed with shepard. Rosie for sure has the Lab ears. Lab tails are also a little fluffy and they almost stick strait out from the body, they don't curve up. Sorry hard to explain what I mean. I'll post a pic of my girl and you can compair. My lab is a yellow lab, but she has some shepard ( i think  ???) coloring and her tail curves, and she is more broad in the shoulders but other than that she has the looks of a lab.
Your Rosie is super cute, and welcome to Big Paws ;D Oh have you found it easy to train Rosie? When we go Harley I was amazed at hoe fast she picked up comands, almost scary at how smart they can be.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 09:51:12 pm »
Sorry for the awful typing, I should really proof read before I post. :-\

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 01:26:19 am »
Sorry for the awful typing, I should really proof read before I post. :-\

Nina

Please dont........ That will make the rest of us look real bad lol....... As long as you can by a longshot figure out what word it is, I think it's okay, hmmmmm could it be because of my own very messed up words I think this way  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
first of all, YOU BELONG!!! She deffinatly looks like either Ridgeback, (i think someone already said that, but i agree.)Pointer, or Visla. she really could be exactly half lab, half Visla. she is certainly a beautiful dog! WELCOME TO BPO!!!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007