Author Topic: I'm really worried about Zoey's hips =(  (Read 6660 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I'm really worried about Zoey's hips =(
« on: September 03, 2005, 05:38:17 pm »
I am really worried about Zoey. We have known for awhile that her hips aren't great - she was 'bunny hopping' one day as a puppy so we took her to the vet and had her hips checked. The vet told us that her hips weren't terrible but certainly not good either. We have been following all of the vet's directions to try and protect zoey's hips and the vet said that there was a chance zoey wouldn't even show much sign of pain even though her xrays were bad. She also said that zoey's hips were urting her more because of a growth spurt and sure enough the bunnyhop dissapeared shortly after... until today. We took zoey to the dog park today and eventhough it turned out to be empty we decided to stay so she could run around in the fenced in park. Well, she had no interest in running around and when she finally did, there it was, the dreaded bunny hop. Also, the other day she wanted to get on the bed with me so I helped her up, and then when she wanted to get down, she couldn't - she went over to the edge and looked and whimpered and was too scared to jump down so she ended up spending the whole night on the bed even though there wasn't really room. She has also fallen in the house more often lately (it's every couple days now but now we have started babygating and not letting her run in the house to try and protect her). The past two times I have seen her fall she yelped in pain. I also feel like she is taking longer to stand up.

Overall she is very happy and healthy other than her hips, but I am really really worried about her now. It's to the point where every single day I worry about her hips. She's only 15 months old. It's not fair! We thought we got her from a reputable breeder but we have since learned that it was more like a puppy mill. We can't afford hip surgery. I can't even bare to think about what could happen if her hips get worse. I love her SO much and I am worried sick  :'(
RIP former BPO

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Re: I'm really worried about Zoey's hips =(
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 06:18:36 pm »
Did the breeder you purchased her from provide you with offa hip evals on the parents?  Or anything?  I am very sorry she is having trouble.  I agree with you it is not fair at all.  To Zoey or to you....  There seems to be quite a few members with hip trouble, it makes me angry to think people are breeding dogs without the appropriate health screens.  Good grief!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 07:29:01 pm »
Did the breeder you purchased her from provide you with offa hip evals on the parents? Or anything? I am very sorry she is having trouble. I agree with you it is not fair at all. To Zoey or to you.... There seems to be quite a few members with hip trouble, it makes me angry to think people are breeding dogs without the appropriate health screens. Good grief!

No, at the time I did not know about OFA certificates so the only thing I had to go on was her word. Zoey is my first dog and I have learned everything I can since we decided to get her but unfortunately I was too trusting when we bought her - I knew all the questions to ask, I just didn't know to be more skeptical of the answers...I did meet the parents and they seemed good, but because of what I have since learned I don't even neccessarily know that they were even the parents. After I had Zoey and learned about her hips, I met a vet tech who had worked at the boarding kennel that the breeder also ran and she told my horrible things. I love zoey with all of my heart but I do regret that she came from such a horrible woman (that seemed good at the time). I would do anything to have Meadowrock Kennels Connecticut shut down  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 07:59:21 pm »
I hope that she is alright. Our prayers for out to you!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 08:14:27 pm »
It would be best if you got Zoey to a VERY good vet. orthopedic surgeon to have her evaluated.  You don't always have to do surgery;  I know there are many on this site who have had tremendous success with various food additives, exercise, etc.  It's best to know what you are dealing with, though.  Even if it is dysplasia, (the worst possible scenario!) you should know what you are dealing with.  What you know is not as bad as what you fear.  I did have a Newf with HORRIBLE dysplasia and the surgeon gave us various options.  I think you'd feel a lot better if you have her evaluated.  Is there a vet. training school anywhere near you?  They have the most experience and will have the best prices!  Good luck!  I've got all fingers and paws crossed here!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 08:25:10 pm »
It would be best if you got Zoey to a VERY good vet. orthopedic surgeon to have her evaluated.  You don't always have to do surgery;  I know there are many on this site who have had tremendous success with various food additives, exercise, etc.  It's best to know what you are dealing with, though.

She was evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon at like 6 months. She has two vets; her primary vet which we saw last week who didn't say anything about her gait or anything, and then we also take her to the tufts vet school hospital when she has an emergency or a major problem. We have been following the vets advice since we first had her evaluated; we are controlling her growth to make her grow slowly, supplementing with glucosamine, limiting jumping and have a pet step to get in/out of the truck, we do excersize, limit stairs the best we can, have multiple cushioned beds, etc. The vet basically told us that our only real options were to to surgery which we can't afford, or take all the prcautions we can and basically hope for the best, which is what we have been doing. She has been doing really excellent since then and I was hoping that she was going to be one of the lucky one who doesnt have problems even though their xrays aren't great, but now that i'm seeing her have more and more problems lately i am worrying about her constantly  :-\ I don't know what else I can do to help her since we have been doing everything that the vet and various article told us.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 08:41:22 pm »
Do you have her on Cosequin?  That seems to be the very best formula of glucosomine and chondrotin for dogs (according to various vets and breeders that I've spoken to....it's available at www.vetdirect. com).  It sounds like you are doing every thing you can...just stay in touch with Tufts.  If worse comes to worst, talk to them about perhaps doing a reduced rate surgery if vets-in-training can observe.  It couldn't hurt to ask!  My Newf, Otis, had hip replacement surgery at a year old and he was GREAT (after recovery....TH AT'S a tough one!) for the rest of his life! Start trying to establish a relationship with a vet a Tufts who can be your champion!  Things DO work out!!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 08:59:22 pm »
I am going to look into cartrpohen and also cosequin. Right now we use 'k9 liquid health glucosamine/msm/chondroitin'. I am also planning to get a dremmel soon since we do the best that we can to keep her nails short but she HATES having her nails cut and it is a really huge struggle with the clippers.

It is reassuring to hear that Balu is doing well without surgery. I hope that zoey will do as well as him. I am trying not to stress out too much since i always tell people not to worry about things until they actually happen, but i can't help but worrying about her hips right now. We take regular short walks around the park but I feel like we have to limit everything that makes her happy because her hips - she's not allowed on the bed after the other day, she's not allowed to play chase anymore, no running in the house, we probably won't go to the dog park again, etc. Everything we do with her I worry about the consequences to her hips before I decide whether she is allowed to do it or not. It's very frustrating.  :-\
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 09:02:31 pm »
Try massage....it can't hurt...she'll love it and you'll feel like you are doing something positive!  It will also increase the blood flow in to the area.  Have you thought about accupuncture?  It might relieve some of the pain....

I'm just trying to think of all the alternatives we've used....

I hate it that you and Zoey are going through this!  Maybe it's just a "tweak" and a week or so of taking it easy may get rid of some of the symptoms...

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 09:07:52 pm »
Did you get a health guarantee with Zoey?  I agree that in any litter, even if the pedigree's back generations look good with clearances you can have a dysplastic dog, however the incidence is seriously decreased.  This MeadowRock kennel site say's they offer health guarantee, is their guarantee to only replace your dog?  I am not fond of some of the wording in some of the health guarantee's, basically makes it impossible for you to get any help from the breeder financially, and gives you the option of "replacing" your much loved friend with another one!  It just does not happen that way, what a deal huh?  I hope everything turns out ok...Keep us posted!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 09:29:42 pm »
Did you get a health guarantee with Zoey?  I agree that in any litter, even if the pedigree's back generations look good with clearances you can have a dysplastic dog, however the incidence is seriously decreased.  This MeadowRock kennel site say's they offer health guarantee, is their guarantee to only replace your dog?  I am not fond of some of the wording in some of the health guarantee's, basically makes it impossible for you to get any help from the breeder financially, and gives you the option of "replacing" your much loved friend with another one!  It just does not happen that way, what a deal huh?  I hope everything turns out ok...Keep us posted!
Yes we did get a health 'guarentee' but it is really worthless. It says that if zoey has health problems we can return her to the breeder and get a new puppy. Like I would ever do that! NO WAY! And to make matters worse, the most disturbing thing that i heard from the vet tech was that the lady who owns the place has bred dogs that were returned for defects and the forged the akc papers to say another dog bred them!  :o She is the devil.

I am hoping that zoey is just having a bad week and i am overreacting to be so worried. We did a little doggy massage a few minutes ago and right now she looks pretty happy playing with her tire toy  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 10:22:26 pm »
I really hope that you can find some way to help out poor Zoey. Massage, sand work, water work...hopeful ly these things can help. I totally agree with you about the health guarentee- like you would ever do that. Maybe the breeder could give you a 2nd pup for the trouble you are having now though.  ;D

As for the news from the vet tech- that is the devil herself speaking! What a demon!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 07:44:31 am »
Yes we did get a health 'guarentee' but it is really worthless. It says that if zoey has health problems we can return her to the breeder and get a new puppy. Like I would ever do that! NO WAY! And to make matters worse, the most disturbing thing that i heard from the vet tech was that the lady who owns the place has bred dogs that were returned for defects and the forged the akc papers to say another dog bred them!  :o She is the devil.

I am hoping that zoey is just having a bad week and i am overreacting to be so worried. We did a little doggy massage a few minutes ago and right now she looks pretty happy playing with her tire toy  :)
From what I now understand forging AKC papers is not at all uncomman...The re are even non pure dogs registered...I am sending prayers for you & Zoey...I can't imagine the stress you must feel over this!...I hope she will be o.k. & live a long & happy life...My uncles dog has him problems & arthritis...Sh e is an almost 11 yr. old mix...He gives her glucosamine supplements daily & she gets around just fine! :)