Author Topic: Article About Katrina Animal Rescue  (Read 5391 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Article About Katrina Animal Rescue
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:16:47 pm »
This is the first article I have seen about Katrina that is solely about animals. I thought BPO might want to see it. Please post with other articles if you find any about animals.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-03-katrinapetrescues_x.htm

Animal welfare groups rescue abandoned pets
By Anita Manning, USA TODAY

Animal welfare groups, which have been barred from entering most flood-affected areas of the Gulf Coast because of safety concerns, have finally reached parts of southern Mississippi and Louisiana to set up shelters and move hundreds of imperiled dogs and cats to safety.

Rescue teams from the Humane Society of the U.S. on Friday moved 120 dogs and cats from Gulfport to a staging area in Jackson, HSUS president Wayne Pacelle said Saturday. Another 500 are being moved from St. Tammany Parish, just north of New Orleans, he said. "The needs are enormous," he said.

While Hurricane Katrina's impact on people remains a "national and international trauma," Pacelle said, "the animal situation is another massive saga that's still unfolding."

About 200 animals drowned after the Humane Society of South Mississippi's shelter in Gulfport was destroyed in the hurricane, he said. In Harrison County, rescuers found one woman who took refuge in an evacuated structure with seven dogs and eight cats afer her own house was destroyed, Pacelle said. "There's a dead man on the roof," he said.

Best Friends Animal Society, working with Jefferson Parish Animal Control, picked up more than 100 dogs and cats found wandering the New Orleans streets on Friday and moved them to a shelter in nearby Tylertown, Miss., said Best Friends director Michael Mountain.

A team of animal experts from Best Friends, which operates a huge animal sanctuary in Kanab, Utah, (www.bestfriend s.org) was arriving Saturday at the St. Francis Animal Sanctuary in Tylertown with food, generators, fencing, satellite phones and fuel, he said.

St. Francis is sheltering about 600 animals, Mountain said. "They cannot accept any more until our team arrives from here with supplies of all kinds to build out the sanctuary."

From there, animals will be reunited with their owners, place in foster homes or be put up for adoption.

The Louisiana SPCA was to begin going house-to-house today in New Orleans to rescue animals stranded when their owners evacuated the city before the hurricane, and other groups also are hoping to start moving into the city, as security concerns diminish.

Animal rescue groups have gotten calls from pet owners desperate for someone to rescue animals they'd left behind. "People are frantically calling and telling us their cat is on the third floor of an apartment in New Orleans, or their horses were left in a pasture," Pacelle said.

In many cases, owners evacuated, but left animals inside homes or garages with food and water because they expected to return in a day or so. "Who would have thought they won't be able to pump water out for 90 days? Who would have thought New Orleans would be depopulated?" Pacelle said.

Animal lovers across the country have poured out support, offering everything from dog toys to cat food and volunteering to help in the rescue or to provide foster care for displaced pets. They've donated $3.5 million online at www.hsus.org, far more than has been given in any previous disaster, Pacelle said.

Funds are needed not only for immediate rescues, but also long-term rebuilding and support of shelters throughout the region.

HSUS does not own or operate shelters, but focuses on education and advocacy. It also has been active in disaster relief for a decade, Pacelle said, and has dozens of trained staff members along with hundreds of trained volunteers in the flood region already or prepared to go there.

Other animal groups are also helping:

• The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, www.aspca.org, is helping local animal groups in Austin, Texas, which are housing pets of flood evacuees who are in a Red Cross shelter. It is sending teams of veterinarians and technicians to Jackson, along with a mobile vet clinic.

• The Houston SPCA, www.spcahousto n.org, is housing more than 600 animals evacuated from flood areas.

• The American Humane Association, www.americanhu mane.org, has received 2,000 requests for animal rescues from the flood-ravaged region and has sent its Animal Emergency Services rescue rig to join other responders in Mississippi.

The organizations say donations of money and supplies are needed, as are volunteers to help in disaster relief, to provide transportation for animals and to offer temporary or permanent homes for animals.
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Article About Katrina Animal Rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:50:20 pm »
Here's another article about the pets in Katrina. This one made me want to cry  :'(

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/05/katrina_evacuees_distraught_over_lost_pets/

Katrina evacuees distraught over lost pets

By Mike Stobbe, Associated Press Writer  |  September 5, 2005

ATLANTA --As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from a New Orleans hospital, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs. She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday. They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

Such emotional scenes were repeated perhaps thousands of times along the Gulf Coast last week as pet owners were forced to abandon their animals in the midst of evacuation.

In one example reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from one little boy waiting to get on a bus in New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

Valerie Bennett left her dogs with the anesthesiologi st, who promised to care for about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," Valerie Bennett recalled, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital.

On Saturday afternoon, she said she saw a posting on a Web site called petfinder.com that said the anesthesiologi st was still caring for the animals.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some evacuees refused to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,'" Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition center.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciat ed cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?'" he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.

They moved to Slidell, La., in July when Valerie took a job at an organ transplant institute connected to Lindy Boggs. Lorne, a former paramedic, is disabled since undergoing a liver transplant in 2001.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.

They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.
RIP former BPO

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:00:12 pm »
that is so sad. I was wondering what happened to the animals I asked one day while at work just kinda speaking out loud and people looked at me like I was crazy but honestly I don't thin I would have left with out at least one of my dogs.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 08:49:13 am »
oh - I can't handle any more of these stories!!!  It makes me so sad!

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 09:20:37 am »
I can't even read that second story.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 09:40:15 am »
There is supposed to be a story in the Wall Street Journal about the families I helped this past weekend. I don't know if it's today or tomorrow, but if anyone subscribes to the online journal can you please send it to me: lotzapets@earthlink.net.  She was going to interview me, too, but the phone lines are so screwy here right now no one can get through easily and I didn't get her e-mail 'til yesterday afternoon so it may have been too late. I hope she mentions our Humane Society, though.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 10:08:28 am »
Jeanne, we are so glad to hear from you today and know that you are okay.  Everyone has said it a thousand times, but I will say it again.  You guys are angels...   :)

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 11:18:31 am »
Ive been thinking of those poor animals since this happened. People are able to "try" to help themselves animals cant. I keep thinking how could I prepare so I might be able to save my animals if something ever happened here. Oh the crazy thoughts that run thru my mind.  My husband said whatever I choose to donate to an animal fund I have to match to a human charity.
I cant bear to read the stories, my heart goes out to all. Thank God for all the people trying to help.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 12:10:55 pm »
Here's another article about the pets in Katrina. This one made me want to cry  :'(

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/05/katrina_evacuees_distraught_over_lost_pets/

Katrina evacuees distraught over lost pets

By Mike Stobbe, Associated Press Writer  |  September 5, 2005

ATLANTA --As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from a New Orleans hospital, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs. She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday. They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

Such emotional scenes were repeated perhaps thousands of times along the Gulf Coast last week as pet owners were forced to abandon their animals in the midst of evacuation.

In one example reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from one little boy waiting to get on a bus in New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

Valerie Bennett left her dogs with the anesthesiologi st, who promised to care for about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," Valerie Bennett recalled, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital.

On Saturday afternoon, she said she saw a posting on a Web site called petfinder.com that said the anesthesiologi st was still caring for the animals.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some evacuees refused to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,'" Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition center.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciat ed cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?'" he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.

They moved to Slidell, La., in July when Valerie took a job at an organ transplant institute connected to Lindy Boggs. Lorne, a former paramedic, is disabled since undergoing a liver transplant in 2001.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.

They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.
Does anyone know what happened to the animals left in the hospital room?...I woke up last night thinking about them & couldn't sleep anymore...I am praying somehow they got help. :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 12:41:51 pm »
I just don't think I can read any more of these horrific stories!  I can't imagine how distraught people must be thinking about their animals.  The only thing that can make me cry are animal stories and I swear I'm in tears almost once a day on this site (and why do I come back, I question myself????) reading about members losing their best furfriend and to read about Katrina animal victims is just too much!  I can't tell you how grateful I am to all those people that are out there on the front lines trying to rescue as many as they can.  Not once, in this whole horrendous week, did any animal pick up a gun a zero in on a rescuer!!!!  They deserve to be saved, every last one of them!!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 12:44:46 pm »
I just don't think I can read any more of these horrific stories!  I can't imagine how distraught people must be thinking about their animals.  The only thing that can make me cry are animal stories and I swear I'm in tears almost once a day on this site (and why do I come back, I question myself????) reading about members losing their best furfriend and to read about Katrina animal victims is just too much!  I can't tell you how grateful I am to all those people that are out there on the front lines trying to rescue as many as they can.  Not once, in this whole horrendous week, did any animal pick up a gun a zero in on a rescuer!!!!  They deserve to be saved, every last one of them!!!!
HERE HERE NEWFLVR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:30:15 pm »
Here's the article from the Wall St. Journal. It doesn't mention the rescues I did 'cause she didn't get my info. in time, but it's still a wonderful article about all the other rescues going on out there:

Animal Groups Save
Scores of Lost Pets;
'Rescue Rig' Arrives

By AVERY JOHNSON and RACHEL EMMA SILVERMAN
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
September 6, 2005; Page A12

Rescuers are racing to save some of Hurricane Katrina's most vulnerable
victims: pets.

Animal-welfare groups have stormed the beleaguered Gulf Coast with
mobile veterinary units, holding pens for large farm animals and traps
to ensnare frightened pets. They've been running high-risk missions to
rescue stranded creatures, transport them to shelters on safer ground,
and reunite them with their owners, many of whom were forced to leave
behind their pets when fleeing the storm.

The efforts have drawn a motley crew of rescue teams from all over the
country. Some groups, with highly skilled veterinarians and seasoned
animal-rescue pros, are decked out with fancy vehicles and equipment,
while others are composed of little more than die-hard animal lovers
sleeping in the back seats of their cars.

The American Humane Association dispatched an 82-foot, blue "Animal
Rescue Rig" from Denver, which costs $6,000 a day to operate and comes
with an ambulance that can be driven into the back, three rescue boats,
showers, and enough fuel and water for a month. A group called Code 3
Associates from Longmont, Colo., has a 77-foot tractor trailer that
weighs 74,000 pounds and has a horse trailer and veterinary triage
center.

Another outfit, Noah's Wish, has been plucking dogs and cats from houses
and rooftops in Slidell, La., outside New Orleans, and is even
bottle-feeding a baby squirrel there. Meanwhile, Dr. Kent Glenn, an
Aledo, Texas, veterinarian, raised $1,250 from his clinic's clients on
Saturday morning and the next day headed out to Hattiesburg, Miss., in a
Dodge pickup hitched to a 20-foot cattle trailer, to help out.

The hurricane's fury left an estimated tens of thousands of animals --
including pets, livestock, zoo and aquarium creatures -- stranded in
muddy waters and dilapidated buildings. Many human refugees fleeing the
storm did not have space or money to take their animals with them. Those
survivors left in New Orleans often weren't allowed to take their
animals into the city's makeshift shelters at the Superdome and the
Convention Center -- or on some of the evacuation busses, boats and
airlifts out of the city -- forcing many pet-owners to leave their
creatures behind.

As a result, animal welfare charities and message boards are being
inundated with anguished calls and emails from Katrina refugees
searching for their pets. "My birds are dying in new Orleans I need
help," reads one appeal on a message board at Web site, Petfinder.com.
"Urgent plea for help, lost 4 dogs, everything," says another.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, as of
yesterday, had logged nearly 600 calls from frantic owners. Patricia
Mercer, the president of the Houston SPCA, where many of the homeless
pets are being housed, says that her 10 disaster phone lines have been
constantly busy since the evacuation effort began, with calls from
worried pet owners and volunteers. (As of yesterday, she had reunited 27
owners with their pets.)

Two such desperate parents are Linda and Robert Kocher, who are trying
to get to their animals, as the time ticks down on the amount of food
they left for them. The couple departed their New Orleans home about two
weeks ago on a vacation to Iowa, and left their two dogs outside in the
yard with an automatic feeder, and their two cats inside with plenty of
water and food. They fear that the food may have run out over the
weekend.

"I could rebuild my house, but if given a choice between my house and my
pets, I would choose my pets. They're alive. They have personalities,"
says Mrs. Kocher, a 55-year-old who's lived in New Orleans her whole
life, and whose neighborhood was spared the flooding. She worries that
someone might have broken into her yard and taken the two big Catahoulas
-- Louisiana's native dogs -- to participate in the dog fights that can
be common around the South.

It's not easy reaching many of the stranded creatures. Most animal-aid
groups were only allowed into New Orleans proper over the weekend and
are having trouble getting to buildings that are surrounded by moats of
water. At the Superdome late Sunday night and into Monday morning, the
Louisiana SPCA found many animals already dead from heat or dehydration
-- they did manage to save between 30 and 50 dogs including a mother
with 11 puppies, and plan to drop traps for more. Some teams are also
facing shortages of fuel, air-conditioned vans, animal cages and vet
supplies. In addition, there's a chance that the rescuers could find
displaced and frightened alligators and poisonous snakes -- if the
reptiles don't find the homeless pets first.

Aid-workers have had to launch their maneuvers under some
stomach-turning conditions. Early Saturday morning, before dawn, a
coalition of rescue groups raided a Gulfport, Miss., animal shelter,
which had been flooded with nearly three feet of water and sewage,
because it had been located between the water and the town's waste
treatment plant.

When the team of rescuers arrived at the shelter in the middle of the
night, the stench of rotting carcasses and human and animal waste was
overwhelming, says Warren Craig, director of communications and
logistics with Code 3 Associates, one of a number of organizations that
participated in the rescue.

Still, a convoy including many animal-rescue groups managed to pull
about 130 animals from the wreckage alive. Several dozens more died in
the part of the shelter that had completely flooded. The survivors are
now being cleaned, given veterinary care, and shipped to shelters in
Birmingham, Ala.

Not all the animals have been so lucky. Late Friday night, a team from
the Louisiana SPCA took a 16-foot air-conditioned Ryder truck from
Gonzales, La., to a town outside New Orleans called Metairie, to save
some 50 dogs that had been boarded at a local animal hospital.

On the hour-long ride north, though, the air conditioning failed in the
van, and when the staff opened the back door they found the animals
dead. Only one dog, a bichon, survived, says Laura Maloney, executive
director of the Louisiana SPCA.

In New Orleans, Dr. James Riopelle, an anesthesiologi st at Lindy Boggs
Medical Center, spent part of the week holed up in the hospital, which
was surrounded by water, accompanied by a menagerie of some 41 dogs, 16
cats and two gerbils.

The animals were left in his care by hospital staffers who had evacuated
the city to tend to patients. Dr. Riopelle volunteered to stay behind
with the pets; his colleagues had left him bags of food, pet feed and
water.

On Sunday night an attempt to airlift Dr. Riopelle and the animals was
stymied when the rescue chopper sent to pick him up tipped over. (Only
two crew members were on board, and they were safe.) The pickup attempt
was being resumed Monday.

Lisa Lupin, a 37-year-old emergency-room nurse at the affiliated
Memorial Medical Center, escaped the hospital late last week with three
dogs but still fears there are some 35 pets left there, in cages with
food and water. She and other staff paid a garden truck $1,000 to take
them and their pets out of New Orleans when the busses refused to
transport large animals.

Animal-welfare groups are also grappling with the logistics of housing
and feeding hundreds of suddenly-homeless animals. The Houston SPCA
estimates that it will have received about 900 refugee animals by the
end of the day yesterday. About 400 of them had been smuggled by their
owners onto busses out of New Orleans -- only to find that pets weren't
allowed in the Astrodome.

In Austin, Texas, the Austin Humane Society had received nearly 75 furry
storm survivors by Sunday. Most of the animals' owners had been
airlifted to the city over the weekend and were being housed at the
Austin Convention Center, which wasn't permitting pets.

An animal control vehicle met pet owners at the convention center to
transport any animals to the humane society, where the pets could stay
temporarily and receive medical care.

Lynn and Jud Shelton arrived at the convention center on Saturday with
their two dogs, Li'l Bit and Belle; a black cat named Sammy who was
nestled in Mr. Shelton's backpack; and a cockatiel named Trixie, housed
in a cumbersome two-by-three foot metal cage that the couple had been
carrying around for nearly a week. When the Sheltons fled their house,
one of the first things they grabbed-- besides their animals--was a
large plastic bag full of pet food.

The Sheltons, who had lived in New Orleans all their lives, decided to
wait out the storm, seeking refuge in their attic. A fishing boat and
then a rescue plane finally got the couple and their four animals out of
the city, nearly a week later.

"There was no way we would leave them," says Mrs. Shelton, who is 60
years old. "Everything else was gone."

Write to Avery Johnson at avery.johnson@wsj.com and Rachel Emma
Silverman at rachel.silverm an@wsj.com
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 04:56:05 pm »
WOW!!!!  Incredible story!  I just am still having trouble realizing the magnitude of the problems of getting them out, cleaned up, healed and re-homed!  WOW!  Thanks for ALL you are doing!  I wish I could be there with you!

awo

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 05:27:37 pm »
Well I have some good news for you all.  We received a 1000 people here in Colorado and Dumb Friends League is holding all the animals that people brought with them.  There is still hope out there for atleast some of the animals.

awo

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 05:55:43 pm »
YEA!!!!  Thank the Dumb Friends League for their generosity!  What a magnificent thing for Colorado to do!!!!