Author Topic: Does your Gr. Pyr retrieve?  (Read 3296 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Does your Gr. Pyr retrieve?
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:58:59 pm »
I'd read somewhere in my research that if your Pyr shows any retrieving interest at all to encourage it because normally they don't do this...Samson will play fetch with me when he feels like it & bring the ball or toy back for me to throw again...He's not overly enthusiastic about it but he does it for awhile...Pippi n doesn't seem to understand the game at all...Does anyone elses Pyr fetch?

Kiahpyr

Re: Does your Gr. Pyr retrieve?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 04:10:43 pm »
Fetch? What's that? I try to get Kiah to fetch, but she just looks at me all confused.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:14:13 pm »
"You throw, you get it " Sugar Bear
"You throw it, I get it, it's mine" Dixie Darlin
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 04:37:44 pm »
Warrior does Chelle.  A lesson I guess he forgot to teach his son...lol

And for others reading this... it is rare that a Pyr will do that.  It's a silly game and they are too serious to be silly...lol

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 04:41:28 pm »
Warrior does Chelle.  A lesson I guess he forgot to teach his son...lol

And for others reading this... it is rare that a Pyr will do that.  It's a silly game and they are too serious to be silly...lol

Jackie
That's interesting... You send Warrior here now to teach his son!...I promise to send him back...hehe!...I am surprised that Samson does it because he usually is pretty solemn & serious...Pipp in really is more playful...I think maybe Samson thinks he is keeping me entertained with my stupid human games or maybe he thinks it a neat trick that he can get me to keep throwing it if he brings it back! :D

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 06:20:55 pm »
Rocky will do it in the living room so it's only a few feet. I think his stepbrother (Max the cairn terrier) taught him because he is very compentative w/ him.

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 07:06:12 am »
I know Pyr's are not Labs, but last night Sadie went about 10 rounds with the tennis ball in the backyard.  I thought my husband (the Lab lover) was gonna fall over.  But alas, she gave up!  It was an interesting site though!
Rachel

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 07:39:13 am »

It's a silly game and they are too serious to be silly...lol

Jackie

Mojo is not a pyr, so I hope that I'm not butting in.  However, when he was younger I was worried that I'd never teach him to fetch.  Since he really seemed thought it was too beneath him to participate in.  I swear his expression said the same thing as that quote!  I was forever fretting, because its required in competition obedience.   :-[

Finally I tried clicker training!  Yahoo, it worked and we both saved face.  lol  Now Mojo thinks that fetching is "working" and not just a silly game.  ;D  It took baby steps, but now he'll pick up just about anything I ask him too. 

This is the order I taught the steps, if anyone's interested.  I never moved on to the next one until he fully understood the one that we were working on.  We started with "front" & "touch" and moved on to "hold", "drop", "pickup", "take it", "go" and finally "get it".
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 07:00:19 am »
SnowFlake has taken to retrieveing her little bear (stuffed animal)  We make a game of it.  Tug and war.  Then I throw it and tell her to fetch.  She brings it back so we can play.  Very smart,  I have not had to retrieve it tt much myself. ;D