Author Topic: A poor Pyr with an uneducated owner  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
A poor Pyr with an uneducated owner
« on: September 08, 2005, 11:00:13 am »
Today at the park I met a five old pyr girl who was the most beautiful little thing that I have ever met. After oohing and ahhing over the little fluff ball I was talking to her owner who made me want to spit fire. First he said that he had bought the pup at a pet store (I don't like this, but we can all have melt downs when we see their cute little faces). I was a little reassured when he said that he has been wanting one for a long time and he had to have her. We don't have many giant breeds that come to the park, so it is always nice to talk to another giant owner (that's why we all come to BPO!) but then he started talking about how he couldn't wait for her to go into heat because he wanted to breed her. She is only five months old!!!! :o He said that he could make so much money off of her because he payed almost $3000 bucks for her in the petstore (I don't doubt this because I know that they sell lab puppies there for $1500) She doesn't have any papers at all, and he wants to breed her in her first heat. He figures that they could make $15000 a year if they breed her. The worst part about it was they want to breed her to a BLACK PYR!!!!!! Someone at the park told them that we have two black pyr's that come to our park and he couldn't wait to meet them before his little one went into heat. It nearly made me sick. I wanted to point off in the distance and say LOOK OVER THERE!!!! and grab his puppy and run. I didn't want to sound like a know it all, but I told him that the only other pyr that came to our park was a cross, and that the two black dogs he was referring to were newfs ( I knew the names of the dogs that he was talking about and thank god they are both neutered and even if they weren't there owner would disagree to breed.) I also suggested to him that it probably wasn't a good idea to breed so young because she wouldn't nearly be mature enough during her first heat to produce a litter of healthy pups. As I was leaving I saw him approaching a shepherd cross owner who hasn't neutered his male because he believes getting the snip will make a dog not grow as much! I can only hope these two people don't get it in their heads to breed these two dogs together. Sorry about the long rant, but  irresponsible breeding hits a HUGE nerve in me. It just makes me sad to think that this beautiful little girl might be the breeding foundation for a BYB.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: A poor Pyr with an uneducated owner
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:40:17 am »
Yup, I'm sickened beyond anything mere words can express...Hope fully he'll find out how much work Pyrs can be & rehome her...One of the first things out of many people's mouths when they meet Samson & Pippin is "are you going to breed them" (thinking Pippin is a female) AAAAAAAARRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:40:52 am »
 :'( I wish there was a way to help this little girl.

Maybe you could give this guy the BPO site and tell him there is a lot of good information about Great Pyrenees.  Boy could we give him an ear full.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:02:36 pm »
That makes me sick. I hate people like that. You know he'll breed her anyway. That poor little girl is just a baby.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 12:07:30 pm »
of the first things out of many people's mouths when they meet Samson & Pippin is "are you going to breed them" (thinking Pippin is a female) AAAAAAAARRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Maybe if you stopped making him wear pink dresses....... .............. ...

:D
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 12:14:09 pm »
That is too bad!  People are such idiots....  There is a couple of "Breeders" who actually are knowingly breeding Newfs and Pyrs..  I found them on the web.  They are selling the pups from 300-800 dollars.  800.00 being for the show quality...lol  what idiots.

I get asked all the time if I am going to breed Willow.  People hand me their telephone numbers and tell me to call because they would be very interested in one of her pups...would never breed her!  one - she is not considered a standard color, two - she has an umb. hernia which maybe genetic, three - no way could I do all the stress involved in breeding pups, four - I could never sell the pups and would end up wigth like 10 dane pups...my yard isn't big enough.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:23:21 pm »
Question from the person who's researching breeds right now....

Isn't this animal cruelty?  I thought that there were laws about how old a bitch had to be to be bred. 

Or am I just naive, having only heard of what a puppy mills is in the last year??    My mom's Eskie is the first "purebred" dog anyone in our family has ever owned--we always got our dogs via the "Rover got out, we have these puppies" method!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:31:59 pm »
Saintgirl, I don't know how you made it out of that scene without punching that guy's lights out!!! And then making a run for it with the pup!!! I am about to go on a rampage and freak out on a rooftop with a machine gun at all the uneducated people who breed dogs just to make lots of money!!!!
 >:( >:( >:(
What can we do? How can we help prevent this? It seems like there is no way to convince someone not to do it if they really think they can make $15,000 a year selling puppies!
 :'(

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:48:41 pm »
of the first things out of many people's mouths when they meet Samson & Pippin is "are you going to breed them" (thinking Pippin is a female) AAAAAAAARRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Maybe if you stopped making him wear pink dresses....... .............. ...

:D

Who oh why do I never see that coming?...LOL!

Offline Astrids mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 12:48:50 pm »
I love it when people just decide that they are going to breed dogs ??? Hopefully this is just a pipe dream for this person but sad enough he most likely will breed this poor puppy! People can be so ignorant it really makes you wonder. Someone who is even remotely qualified to breed dogs would know about the breed and not have to be told that the "black pyrs" are newfs!! All I can say is Wow what a complete ignoramus!!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 12:49:31 pm »
Every time people talk about making money by breeding dogs I tell them about Sanity's mother and father.  Woman thought she could make tons!  Plus Danes often have really big litters (Like his :P consisting of 21 puppies) so more money for her right?  Well put the puppies in the paperat 7 weeks, and she sold 2, both to the same family.  Then she was left with 19 puppies who needed food and were loud and stinky and they were 12 weeks old and no one wants them that big!  All her dreams of dollar signs flew out the window.  I hate to imagine what would have happened to them if Sanity's father's breeder didn't come to take them back.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 01:06:30 pm »
Question from the person who's researching breeds right now....

Isn't this animal cruelty?  I thought that there were laws about how old a bitch had to be to be bred. 

Or am I just naive, having only heard of what a puppy mills is in the last year??    My mom's Eskie is the first "purebred" dog anyone in our family has ever owned--we always got our dogs via the "Rover got out, we have these puppies" method!

NoDogNow, Dogs are considered property, and can be bred whenever they are capable of being bred, no matter what the age. Is it animal cruelty..I think so. I also think that it is irresponsible and should be criminal to breed that young, but what I think doesn't matter much.

Congratulation s, Saintgirl, you managed to contain your anger in the face of that idiot. Some people should have been drowned at birth.
Stella

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 01:40:32 pm »
I think it's impossible for us to understand people like that.. Animals are commodities and that's about it.  They don't stop to think that the animal beside them has fear, gets happy, sad, etc.. and dreams just like we do.  Of course these probably don't think at all. 
I pity these people because they will never experience what we have, when you open your eyes just a bit to see that hey, there is a living breathing being inside that fur, that has good and bad days just like I do.

We've been woken up a couple of nights lately because Bava has had some nightmares, and you have to love on him and tell him its ok, it was just a dream, etc.. I truly don't want to understand people like that, I'll stick with my view :)

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 01:40:40 pm »
How sad for this puppy. I really wish you could have just grabbed her and run off with her. 
I've had the ' we want one of his pups ' comments  and I usually ignore them. One guy was adamant about using Moose as a stud and when I simply said that he's been neutered the guy actually got mad at me and started cursing.I don't even know the guy, had never seen him before, he didn't even have a dog with him! I told him,  I won't be responsible for a litter , not with my dogs and not with my cats, they are all fixed.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 02:34:07 pm »
I cannot believe that guy!!  What an idiot.  He claims to have wanted to get a pyr for quite some time, yet doesn't know they don't come in black?!  What, does he have an IQ of about 5?

I, too, have had several people ask about studding out Gunther.  His body shape is almost perfect, but he does have some behavioral issues that I would not want to pass along to any puppies.  Plus, I just don't want to deal with all the humping and marking at this point in my life.  Eventually, I would like to breed, but that's at least another 10 yrs down the road, and I haven't picked out the breed yet (although I have narrowed it down).

There's another web group I am in that sometimes has people asking about breeding, and I just want to slap them upside the head.  Wanting to breed a mixed breed dog; breeding their dog, then asking what to do; breeding at first heat; etc, etc.  Why are there so many stupid people out there?  Saintgirl, you controlled yourself very well in that situation.  If it was me in your shoes, I would have made it known how idiotic he is, and let fire and brimstone rain down on his parade.