Poll

do you think it is save to ship a dog by flying them?

yes
1 (25%)
no
3 (75%)
don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: September 12, 2005, 07:55:48 pm

Author Topic: to fly or not to fly that is the question  (Read 15917 times)

Offline Boxerbuddies

• Ankle Biter
  • Jazz at 3 weeks
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ttchest.com
to fly or not to fly that is the question
« on: September 10, 2005, 07:55:48 pm »
I might have my new puppy shiped to my by plane and want to make sure that it is save.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: to fly or not to fly that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 08:09:15 pm »
I do not believe that it is safe to fly animals. The only condition I would ever consider flying a dog in would be if they were small enough to ride in a carrier under my seat and the airline allowed them to travel with me under the seat (some airlines do allow this).

I would never let my dog on an airline that flew them as cargo. Cargo holds are not temperature controlled, recieve no oxygen during the flight, and are not monitored by crew. A frightening number of pets are injured or killed during flights.

If you want to read a proffesional article about pets on flights, go to http://www.sfspca.org/advocacy/pdf/pdf_airplanes/final_report.pdf It is a long read, but even skimming the beggining will shock you.
RIP former BPO

Offline Boxerbuddies

• Ankle Biter
  • Jazz at 3 weeks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 08:16:43 pm »
the airline they are useing has them in with the people but in the back and in carriers.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 08:55:05 pm »
Maybe you could just double check....I brought Chester home to L.A. from San Antonio on American Airlines.   The weight limit is 20 pounds and Chester was a bit over 18 pounds.  He was in my lap almost the entire way.  I would just worry if he was out of my sight. 

Offline Boxerbuddies

• Ankle Biter
  • Jazz at 3 weeks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 09:01:35 pm »
well the big thing is he will be flying to me. And they will only use one airline that they trust. but if i ca go get him i would. but sence i can't i wanted to make sure that he will be save be himself.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 09:07:30 pm »
Okay!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, 'k?  Let us all know that he's here, safe and sound and send pics!!!!  I miss puppy breath!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:15:34 pm »
How long in the flight.  If you can get a direct flight it is much better, it may have to be a red-eye flight due to the heat.  Both Sugar Bear and Dixie were flown in on Delta.  I had the breeder put a sign on the top of the crate with their name, my name, and a note saying they were babies making there first flight to their new home.  I even has some of the flight crew tell me how cute Sugar Bear was. 

Lisa

well the big thing is he will be flying to me. And they will only use one airline that they trust. but if i ca go get him i would. but sence i can't i wanted to make sure that he will be save be himself.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 09:50:19 pm »
Gunther flew in to me via flight.  He also was flown regular flight with people.  He had a bunch of info sent with him, including emergency numbers in case there was a problem.  He was lucky enough that there was a weim puppy on the same flight so he wasn't so lonely.

I would also try to get a direct flight if possible.  I found out after he was on his way out that he had multiple connecting flights.  I wasn't too happy about it, but it was a last minute decision to fly him out that day, so I didn't have alot of notice.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 08:02:48 am »
I do not believe that it is safe to fly animals. The only condition I would ever consider flying a dog in would be if they were small enough to ride in a carrier under my seat and the airline allowed them to travel with me under the seat (some airlines do allow this).

I would never let my dog on an airline that flew them as cargo. Cargo holds are not temperature controlled, recieve no oxygen during the flight, and are not monitored by crew. A frightening number of pets are injured or killed during flights.

If you want to read a proffesional article about pets on flights, go to http://www.sfspca.org/advocacy/pdf/pdf_airplanes/final_report.pdf It is a long read, but even skimming the beggining will shock you.

As a former Flight Attendant, and having flown NUMEROUS dogs by air over the years, I have to disagree with you on several important points.

1) the Cargo area is ABSOLUTELY climate controlled. It gets the same air you do in the passenger compartment. The ENTIRE aircraft is pressurized for comfort and safety at altitutude. The cabin floor will not maintiain pressurization . ALL cargo bins are DEFINITELY climate controlled. The ONLY exception is in a pressurization emergency in certain aircraft. The rear cargo bin on certain aircraft is called the "dead dog bin" because IF there is an emergency loss of pressure, that bin will NOT be climate controlled. Animals are not placed for shipment in these cargo bins.

2) the real enemy when shipping dogs are hidden health issues (heart or breathing issues), and heat. Dogs who are crate trained and comfortable in their crates, who are not shipped in hot weather, generally ship just fine. I do not ship dogs when the outside air temp is going to be above 75 degrees on either end of the flight. Heat kills dogs during shipping before or after takeoff and landing, when the cargo area is NOT cooled adequately.

I also take special care in making sure crates do not open during shipping. I am generally shipping large dogs, so I put cargo straps around the crate, so it looks like a package with ribbon on it. These keep the crate from accidentally ( or purposefully ) opening.

I put a BIG SIGN on the top of the crate that says something like:

My name is ********. This is my first flight, and I might be scared. (I put this even if the dog has flown before). Please speak kindly to me, and handle my crate gently. I am heat sensitive, and I appreciate being in the shade. Please do not put my crate on any conveyer belts.

I have shipped at least 10 times and never had any issue, but I'm careful.

If your breeder is also careful, and if the pup is used to a crate, you should have no issues.

I would caution that it is ALWAYS dangerous to ship short faced breeds such as bulldogs, pugs, bostons etc, and these dogs should fly inside the cabin with their owners.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 09:36:29 am »
I have seen too many cases of animals getting out of their crates & getting lost at the airport...I have even seen where the pet owners were not allowed to look for their pet...Unless my pet was right with me at all times my personal feeling is no way!

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 09:42:00 am »

That is one reason why I strap my crates really securely.

I do not rely on the bolts to keep a sky kennel together.

You have a whole other set of issues if you have a Rottweiler escape during shipping.

They do not take apart cargo bands to get inside a crate. ;)

The sign on the top really helps too. I have observed ramp personell smiling and talking to every dog I've ever shipped, because they know the dog's name.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 09:46:58 am »

That is one reason why I strap my crates really securely.

I do not rely on the bolts to keep a sky kennel together.

You have a whole other set of issues if you have a Rottweiler escape during shipping.

They do not take apart cargo bands to get inside a crate. ;)

The sign on the top really helps too. I have observed ramp personell smiling and talking to every dog I've ever shipped, because they know the dog's name.
Excellent advise Red!...The cargo straps serve double duty then really! ;D

Offline Boxerbuddies

• Ankle Biter
  • Jazz at 3 weeks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 01:40:20 pm »
Thank you all. For the info. I will take everyone reply in consideration. Thank you so much.

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 04:55:30 pm »
 :)
Hi,
just wanted to say that I traveled with my dog in cabin when I picked him up at the breeder's house and recently had him travel in cargo. The advice you got from people so far was really good and if you want to do more research you can check on a government website where airlines now have to publish accidents with pets.
www.airconsume r.ost.dot.gov/reports/
I would like  to know at this time which airline is recommendable. My dog is crate trained and not sensitive to noise and did well with his recent flight. It's just me, I was deeply disappointed by Northwest Airlines about the prices they gave me on the phone and the difference in charge later. Beside me I learned that some other people of my dog club had the same false pricing experience. Just for this reason I would not recommend NWA.
The lady who worked as flight attendent, which airline did you work for?
Hedda

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 05:00:19 pm »

I worked for Piedmont Airlines, a southeast regional carrier that became Nationwide and International before it was bought by UseLess I mean U @ss, I mean sorry, oops, USAirways.

I quit shortly after the merger. I just could not stand to stay around and watch them ruin my company.

They are almost done running it into the ground (no pun intended) now, 15 years later.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com