Author Topic: Guinness at six months (pre and post-surgery)  (Read 8125 times)

Yaz

Guinness at six months (pre and post-surgery)
« on: September 11, 2005, 03:36:05 pm »
Our beloved puppy Guinness had to have extensive emergency surgery performed on his eyes a few weeks ago due to a horrible case of ectropion, entropion that caused corneal ulcers. His eyes have not healed and the vet opthamologist says that more surgery is needed. It's been a rough month for our big guy - horribly painful eyes, surgery, three weeks of wearing an elizabethan collar. Yet his sweet temperment and good nature has remained unchanged. All the vets who have delt with him can not get over how patient and good he has been under all this stress and illness. Here's a few pictures of Guinn, taken a few days before his eyes became stricken and a few days after the surgery.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness at six months (pre and post-surgery)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:44:28 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry!!  Poor, poor boy!  Guiness looks so patient in his e-collar!  Please keep us informed on how he's doing! 

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
Poor Boy :'( My first rotti had ectropian and had the surgery done. It looks horrible. After three weeks. The difference was amazing. Fast healing Guiness ;)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 03:53:22 pm »
Poor baby Guiness. I hope that he heals soon so that he can get back to his old self! Our prayers are with you.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 04:03:35 pm »
oh well now you just went and made me cry again! 

im soooo sorry for your baby, and im so sorry for you!  god help you get through this!

we are all here!  stay strong, and kiss that baby every chance you have!  if you need me to, i will come there and baby him up for you!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 04:07:05 pm »
Poor little Guinness!  I am so sorry that this happened.  Heal quickly Guinness!

Yaz

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 04:15:37 pm »
Thanks, everyone for your kind wishes. The heartbreaking thing is that Guinness will most likely be going back to the breeder  :'(. The surgery was well over two thousand dollars and the opthamologist said a few more surgeries will be needed to fix his eyes. It was one of the worst cases of ectropion and entropion both he and our vet had ever seen. At this point his eyes are still blue due to the scarring of the ulcers. It's not certain how much vision he will retain. With a young family of five on one salary, we  can't afford to give him the medical attention he's going to need over the next few months to a year. The breeder  will take him back and replace him, but it's so hard to even think about another puppy when the one we want is Guinn.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 06:31:18 pm »
 :'( I am so sorry for you, your family and poor little Guinness. I am sure you will find a way to do what is best for the little guy.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 06:38:08 pm »
Oh poor Guiness! My heart is breaking for you  :'(
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 07:31:33 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about him.  Poor guy, that's gotta be tough.  What a hard decision to make, one on the whole family.  Good luck to you.

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 06:21:06 am »
Poor Guinness :'( Maybe the breeder can work something out so that he can stay with you.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 08:13:20 am »
Guinness you poor boy. I hope you stay your playful self through all of this. Get better soon and heal quickly.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 10:28:23 am »
That is so sad!!!  :'( My eyes hurt just looking at the pictures! Is that eye problem common in Saint Bernards? The poor guy, it must be so painful. I hate that such a young boy has to go through such hard times! :'( I hope something works out for him and for your family! :-[

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 10:31:51 am »
Our hearts go out to your family.Its good to hear you have such a good breeder,although who could replace Guiness?

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 10:37:53 am »
 :(  I'm so sorry to hear about Guiness's troubles.  Its hearthbreaking having furbabies and little ones sick and not being able to explain it to them.  I hope that everything works out ok.  Sending hugs and get well soon vibes your way.  *hug*

Moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.