Author Topic: All Goofy Newfies in the water! Alright, all dogs in the H2O!  (Read 16155 times)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Ok, now let's see some water pictures everyone!  You gotta start somewhere!  Year one, our pups were  big chickens except for the baby pool!  Now we can't get them out of the bay.

Enjoy!

Anita from NJ
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 08:29:08 am by pitas »

Jen

Re: All Goofy Newfies in the water! Alright, all dogs in the H2O!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:28:33 pm »
Anita,

I got the slide show it was great!  Looks like loveladys LBI to me.  Anyway about the water...Thunde r our Pyr is so afraid of water as are most Pyrs.  When we want to teach him not to do something we use a water spray bottle or hose.  Now I am well aware of Newfs and thier love of water but since we got our first newf Sasha last week I can't water my flower garden because every time I go to spray the flowers with the hose Sasha sticks her head in front of the stream!  It's so funny!  I have to water the garden in secret!!!  Thunder thinks Sasha is sooooo BRAVE!  I have to get a picture of it.  We are getting est. for built in pools but so far they were all with a liner I think we have to go back and get est on cement.  Are newfs OK in pool water or is it super bad for them?

Jen

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 01:22:33 pm »
We let Bear get into the pool but only with permission and for short periods of time. It can be bad for the coat if you don't rinse well and long after they get out of the water. He learned to dive- kinda but it still a bit scared of it. I'll have to post the sequence here because it is sooo funny!
Mostly though, he'll just walk in from the steps, do a turn or two and get out refreshed!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:33:09 pm »
Jen,

Glad you enjoyed the slide show.  I sent it to Jaime too, she enjoyed also.  I can understand your watering troubles.  Kelso, the 9 month old is nuts about the hose.  If he even sees you walking toward it, it's all over! The big guys usually wait til I say it's ok before drinking from the hose.  I am sure the fun will begin soon enough when it gets hot enough for a few days to put the kiddie pool out for them.  Last year, late Sept. the pup was young but, wanted no part of the water with his siblings.  You are close that is the Barnegat bay pic near the boat launch in Ship Bottom.  Our house is in Ship Bottom. 

I am sure your Sasha is loving life in your house!  Maybe once she continues to get playing with the water the Pyr will too.

Keep those puppies happy!

Anita from NJ

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 12:25:58 pm »
Here are a few pictures of Bear our newf playing in the pool. He still doesn't know how to jump into the water so you'll notice in one of the pictures how he slides in - he didn't really like that entry just won't try it again. He will however climb in really fast by the steps!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 05:20:11 am »
Adorable!  Watch out Olympic diving team!  Looks like he is having fun.  I can't wait til our pool is finished to see if our 3 will get in.  The 2 big pups ( 2 yrs. old) swim in the bay, not in the ocean, they are too chicken.  Our little 9 mo. old pup was afraid of the water when he first came home last September.  We shall see if he starts getting in the water this season. 

Anita from NJ

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:05:10 am »
That looks like so much fun!  I haven't had my fur babies swimming yet, we'll be taking them as soon as the water warms up. My 2 mixed breeds don't do well off lead, so I'm afraid to take them swimming cause they may run off. Finn doesn't go more than 5 feet from me, so I can trust him to stick around. He doesn't mind the bath at all, so I think he'd like swimming. Any word on IW's and swimming?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 05:45:59 pm »
You know what's funny...our water dog loves swimming in a pool, lake or ocean but absolutely detests the bathtub! So much for an all-around water lover huh?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:27:37 pm »
Aidan loved the water from day one, I have a small pond in the front of the house and drained it almost empty when he arrived, was soooo afraid he would jump in and drown all 10lbs of him at 6weeks old! Once he got a "little" bigger )hahaha) he just got right in and that became his favorite palce to sit!    HAHA, Beauty "likes" the water but prefers to watch the children and join them when she feels they are needing a little extra guarding!  Beauty loves bath and likes  getting in the shower, Aidan on the other hand HATES being bathed!  to see a 120 pound puppy cry like that is hard to bear!  Yet they both swim in their pool we set up in their kennel!  Go figure!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 08:20:38 pm by kildeskennel »
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 07:47:11 pm »
I don't even have to tell you how adorable Aidan is in that watering hole.

Offline gwen n sadie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 08:08:32 pm »
Awww Anita,

They might be chickens, but the are they have puppy eyes make me want to cry! Cry of happiness! I don't know they're just darling.

Gwen

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 08:22:18 pm »
Oh I agree totally!  He already tried to sit his ever growing behind in there this year, I wish I had my camera at that moment!  It was the funniest thing I ever saw!  His bottom is bigger that the hole now!  LOL ::)
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline gwen n sadie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 08:27:02 pm »
LOL  :D :D

Your Kuvasz must have remembered! He must have been confused and thought that mom changed it to a bucket. :)

Gwen

Jen

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 11:56:33 am »
I am so happy there is a Kuvasz in the group.  They look so much like the all white Pyrs like my boy Thunder.  Who by the way will not go near water!

Jen

Jen

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 01:02:01 pm »
Oh these are the greatest pictures!  We are planning a pool and I have a question; Do you need a cement bottom with the dogs?  The inground pools here in the NE PA mountains usually have liners, the pool builder told me it's because cold temps can crack the cement.  I know if I get a liner I'll have to replace it after a while anyway,  my husband thinks now that we have a water loving newf we NEED a cement bottom. I hope he is right because a prefer cement opposed to slippery liner.

Jen

Here are a few pictures of Bear our newf playing in the pool. He still doesn't know how to jump into the water so you'll notice in one of the pictures how he slides in - he didn't really like that entry just won't try it again. He will however climb in really fast by the steps!