Author Topic: Agility with Big Paws?  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Agility with Big Paws?
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:28:02 pm »
Sanity had so much fun yesterday I'm seriously considering putting him in agility.  I know Big Paws do it, there's even a Dane agility site ( www.morgandane .com), but I was wondering if any one on here did it personally.  I wasn't going to do it for competition, just something to keep him occupied and build up his confidence.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Agility with Big Paws?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:46:07 pm »
Hehehe...it is funny that you mention that Ang. I know that when we saw a fly ball contest at our vet's Bear was so excited. I think the most agile he could be is to cheer for those running around.  ;D He gets so excited that he barks and barks in a high pitched voice and is so cute! I would love to see Sanity in agility!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 05:24:01 pm »
Aidan does very well in agility, hoops, tires tunnels and jumps.  He enjoys it very much.  We do not compete yet, but now that I have been promoted and have what we call "gravy" hours, my evenings are free for the dog club here that does this.  We are looking into it right now.  I think it ism more fun anr way more satisfying than conformation, it is you and your dog, not who is prettier !
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 05:50:56 pm »
I love Agility.  We did it with Araby for a while.  She took a bad spill (Off the catwalk ironically) and after that she just didn't want to do it anymore.  I was just wondering about doing it with Giant breeds, like when is it OK for a Dane to start doing jumps?  It won't be till he gets his CGC, a new requirement at our training center before you can do any of the fun stuff :P  It's a good idea because previously we had wild uncontrollable dogs running around trying to do agility, freestyle, herding, or flyball.

Ang

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:56:30 pm »
Agility looks like so much fun.  I want to get Keiko started in it.  As far as big paws, I don't think Gunther has the right temperment or drive for it (he is just too much of a chicken).  But I have heard of other danes doing it.

Another activity I've heard of danes doing it weight pulling competition.  I missed seeing the dane do it at a fundraiser, but I guess he looked just like Gunther.

Blair

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:58:26 pm »
I seen those pictures of Sanity, he looked like he was having a blast!! If you get him in agility I want to see a lot more pictures!!! I always wanted to do agility, but look at the dogs I own, that will never happen LOL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 10:00:58 pm »
That sounds cool!...I think it would be fun but I don't think either of my big oafs would do well...lol!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:28:27 am »
Not yet...but Gracey needs to get into agility school.  She's my little acrabat.

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:55:30 am »
It's a great idea, Ang.  Do as much as you can with him and his confidence level will build up.  He'll find out the worlds not a nasty scary place and I think you would see a big difference in his personality. :)

Andi

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 11:49:54 am »
I had a hoola hoop up for a while, Apache wanted no part of it, but Kiya will "hoop" when I tell her. I wanted to set up a course in the yard to play. Unfortunately I have that lack-o-time problem, so much I want to do & so little time.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 04:28:20 pm »
You want to keep the jumps at a minimun while their bones are growing fast so as not to cause undue stress and possibly injury to the fast growing pups joints and bones.  Ask someone who is well versed in the Danes what they think.  Good luck!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 08:34:25 pm »
You want to keep the jumps at a minimun while their bones are growing fast so as not to cause undue stress and possibly injury to the fast growing pups joints and bones.  Ask someone who is well versed in the Danes what they think.  Good luck!

He's a year old now, so the 4 inches a week thing is pretty much over :)
  It'll be about 6 months before he's even allowed to go to Agility 1, which is pretty much familiarity with the equipment, no big jumps or anything.  Our training center requires you to have your CGC and suggests clicker training before you can go to agility classes.  Personally I think it's a great idea.

Ang

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:30 pm »
I would happen to agree.  Do let us know how it goes when get to it!  We are very excited to work Aidan in the Northwoods dog club, as I said before, we do practice agility at home with him,.when he tested out for CGC he went through an agility course as a "trial"  anyone could take their pet through and he did all of it like it was second nature with minimal coaching.  It was quite a beautiful sight I think!  Now that my hours are better we can actually join the club and do these things in competition around our area.  We are still looking at the details but are very excited.  Good luck with yours!
Storm Jameson