Author Topic: A face like a muppet.....wish i could have her *pout*  (Read 10685 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
A face like a muppet.....wish i could have her *pout*
« on: August 17, 2005, 02:48:23 am »
My daughter and i stopped at the mall today (we hate the mall so it is not a freqent thing).   We walked in the door that the petshop is at...So my daughter wants to stop and look at the puppies...in one of the "puppy biins"  is the cutest Irishwolfhound ....  OMG she was so cute..she had the face of a muppet and a great personality!!!  I think about 10 wks old....  I just wanted to take her home...I still want to take her home....But I just got a new dane pup.  Could I do an IW Pup also?  My poms would pack their suitcases and move out - I am sure...  She was just so cute..

I would never buy from a pet shop because I do not support puppy mills.  And I am always giving my friends Sh&* if they buy a pup form a petshop...but I would bend my rules maybe just this once.

BabsT

Re: A face like a muppet.....wish i could have her *pout*
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:29:39 am »
We just ousted the WOOF & CO here in Ma...they had two pet shops set up.  People complained, animals were sick and there were hundreds of violations along with dead animals on site and people getting giaridia (sp) 

I will never forget the day I walked in there and there was a EM that was too big for his area, had poop all over his feet and a depressed look on his face...I became a mess and started yelling at the store and their on site vet...Talk about stripping the dignity of these beautiful animals.  I was ecorted out but I think a lot of people in the store understood at the point.  they just looked at the 'cute puppies' not the whole picture

I feel bad for all the dog but the ones that are sooo small with no blankets to keep them warm  and the ones that are sooo big they cant move affect me the most

There is a IW near my sisters house that is owned by a very elderly man...if you even get within 10 feet of the owner, that dog will EAT you LOL...  I dont belive that is the standard temp of the breed though

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:48:56 pm »
This petshop is pretty clean but way to many puppies...tons .  Anyone I have ever known who has gotten a pup there there has been some illness...but she was so very cute....  I did read about IW's last night...says they are not great wilthsmaller animals...I don't really know - have never met one and have never known anyone with one....

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:03:14 pm »
This petshop is pretty clean but way to many puppies...tons .  Anyone I have ever known who has gotten a pup there there has been some illness...but she was so very cute....  I did read about IW's last night...says they are not great wilthsmaller animals...I don't really know - have never met one and have never known anyone with one....

If you have your heart set on an IW, I would talk to some breeders to see if they are right for your family/dogs/lifestyle.  If it turns out to be so, maybe one of the breeders could help you find a IW from a good place.  All puppies are cute, so I'm betting that if you saw one from a breeder you would fall just as much in love with it as one from a petstore. 

I've never been able to turn down a cute furbaby, so I'm not the best one to tell you not to get another puppy, but I would make sure that if you do it is one that fits in with you and your current "children" as well as one from a good place.

Jenn
oh definately talk to breeders.  I talked to a ton of them.  It got a little confussing but I got a lot of info. 

I did turn down a furbaby Sunday. 
1.) I was on  the Harley and couldn't carry him home.
2.) it was a feline not a canine. 
As much as I want a cat...1.) hubby would FLIP and 2.) doggies would FLIP.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 01:30:53 pm »
Oooh, I'd be so scared to get an Irish Wolfhound from a petstore... in fact I'm pretty surprised they are selling one there! That is just a breed prone to some health issues that there is probably no guarantee against in a pet shop pup. It is very sad I know. If they sell one to you they will just go get another one and try to sell that one too.  :(
But WOW what an amazing breed of dog!!!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 01:34:47 pm »
oh definately talk to breeders.  I talked to a ton of them.  It got a little confussing but I got a lot of info. 

I did turn down a furbaby Sunday. 
1.) I was on  the Harley and couldn't carry him home.
2.) it was a feline not a canine. 
As much as I want a cat...1.) hubby would FLIP and 2.) doggies would FLIP.

LOL Lins ... I can just see you riding down the road on your Harley with a kitten!!!

He would have fit in my jacket he was so little.  But I passed.  :(

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:57:44 pm »
I know - I am not getting her...but she is so cute.  I do not buy anything from a petstore except maybe a leash...I will lookinto the breed because I think maybe we might get anothe big paw pup when Willow is a few months older.  The little dogs don't really want to play and she does need a larger size playnate I think...IW's are on the list but so are newf's, danes i have a ton of favorites...co urse i will not be able to find a place for another xxl crate...think I can just put them on top of each other and get a ladder?..lol

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:29:10 pm »
To the person who posted that she heard IW's aren't good w/ smaller animals.. I am here to disprove that theory.. We have a teacup chihuahua that Sullivan adores.. He is so gentle around Frankie (chihuahua) that you'd think he was his mother!  We also have a cat that he doesn't bother with much..but he came from a home w/ 5 or more cats (his owner bred them) And Sullivan's best friends are our two Cairn terriers who weigh about 20 lbs..
Small *wild* animals are another story ... he wants to chase them!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 10:55:14 pm »
I am glad to hear the SUllivan loves his tiny siblings. It always amazes me to see a giant with a little one just loving each other.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 12:53:16 am »
I never really agreed with purchasing puppies from a pet shop, and I'm not sure if I would, but I always realized that those poor pups do need homes too  :-\ I used to work at a pet shop, and I would always wish I could just bring them all home and get them out of there! Life can be pretty sucky there :'(
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline babs2Sully

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 12:58:47 am »
Sully and Frankie