Author Topic: ??? for breeders  (Read 17609 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: ??? for breeders
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 08:47:09 pm »
Thank you Gypsy :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 08:51:43 pm »
Thank you Gypsy :)
Ang, you are most welcomed!...I meant every word I typed...BPO is important to me & I wish we would all try to see each other's point of view...This is too good of place with too good of people for us all not to try & see eye to eye...Again, BIG HUGZ from Iowa. :)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 08:34:57 am »
......if you would wait till age three you go right ahead. LOL

......it amazes me how many people have high opinions, yet till they get into the nitty gritty, only then do they realize
that
A not every pup is going to be incredible in one litter
B that no matter how perfect the parents are, you will have odds that defy your best laid out plans......... ......

.............. ...........
One more thing i might add, there is no gaurantee that pups will be healthy, none, they cant do it to you when your baby is put in your arms, we as breeders cant gaurantee the health on each and every pup, as much as we wish we could.
nothing is perfect....... ..............

I'm sorry, I don't see where I wrote, "Anyone who doesn't do it how I say is WRONG"...  :P  I was just saying how I'd do it if I was a breeder.  I'm sorry that I offended you.

Having to deal with a 160lb, 39" Great dane who has Grand Mal seizures, I'm sorry that you found humor in the idea that I'd *personally* wait until 3yrs before breeding.  Being on Epi-dog lists, its becoming more and more common to see dogs of different breeds with epilepsy.  Again, I didn't say EVERYONE had to, I just stated the reasons why I, meaning "me, myself",  would wait if I ever bred.  :-[

I almost did breed a couple of years back.  Many people, including my vets and obedience trainers, wanted me to breed my GSD Faust.  He has the more old fashioned German Shepherd look and great biddability.  I had his legs and elbows exrayed, which he passed with flying colors.  Faust did great in obedience matches, and I had German Shepherd Breeders look him over.  However even after all that, I hesitated because I didn't want to be responisble for all his offspring and theirs as well.  So, I ended up neutering him just shy of 2yrs.  Its a good thing too, because not even a year after I had him neutered, his breeder ended up shooting Faust's dad because he "went out in the backend".  My guess, Degenerative Myelopathy, which is genetic and fairly common in GSD's.  Yet another reason why I(ie me personally) would wait until a dog was older than 2yrs to breed.  There are too many things that don't show up until the dogs are middle-aged or older.

I never said that all the puppies would be perfect if I did it my way, I'm sorry that you thought that's what I meant.  I actually was very impressed with your commitment to Newfs and I loved the fact that you worked with them in many different aspects, including SAR. 

I'm sorry that you thought I was putting down your own practices in some way, because I wasn't.

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 06:00:19 am »
no attacks, no humor found in your comments, just very broad statements on your part that are seen so often, there is a huge broader picture than what many think.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline button-kite

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 07:31:16 am »
Well as I see it. It all depends on the dogs in question. I have 3 english mastiffs and 2 great danes. Which none were breed younger than 2yrs of age but closer to 3yrs. No matter what health checks you do or testing there still can be problems with a litter. I had a litter of 14 which they all passed away from being toxic and it was the whole pregnancy that was toxic and nothing could be done. She was even tested for other diseases after the problem happened and the vet gave her a clean bill of health. I also dont believe in inbreeding that can cause more health problems. I have heard about breeders doing that because there dogs are pure bred and had vet testings done. To me that just makes the chances of something going wrong since every breed has some problems that arise.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 07:58:56 am »
Well as I see it. It all depends on the dogs in question. I have 3 english mastiffs and 2 great danes. Which none were breed younger than 2yrs of age but closer to 3yrs. No matter what health checks you do or testing there still can be problems with a litter. I had a litter of 14 which they all passed away from being toxic and it was the whole pregnancy that was toxic and nothing could be done. She was even tested for other diseases after the problem happened and the vet gave her a clean bill of health. I also dont believe in inbreeding that can cause more health problems. I have heard about breeders doing that because there dogs are pure bred and had vet testings done. To me that just makes the chances of something going wrong since every breed has some problems that arise.

i have been raising rhodesian ridgebacks for over 20 years and have produced multi champions over the years,,,, all reserch and matching dogs to complement each other,,,,,,,there is no perfect dog, health screens etc  OFA, the works, before breeding.
i know my breed, can always learn more tho, and we are very   lucky with our get and our dogs .. i am not saying there has never been a problem,, but most were minor.

out parent club and local club is very helpful and we still learn more and more. never enough to know.hopefully, win westminster one day,,,,,,,,,,,,but our dogs are all, champions in our hearts
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline momof7mastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 01:09:51 am »
I WAS A BREEDER OF GERMAN ROTTIES, YOU SHOULD WAIT TO BRED UNTIL YOUR FEMALE IS 2 AND YOUR MALE SHOULD BE 2 BECAUSE AT 2YRS OLD THEY CAN GET THEIR OFA HIPS, THERE IS ALOT OF TESTING THAT CAN BE DONE LIKE EYES, HIPS THYROID ECT. I'M GOING TO START BREEDING MASTIFFS BUT MY MALE WILL BE 2YRS WITH ALL HEALTH TESTS AND MY FEMALE WILL BE 2 HALF YRS AND HEALTH TESTED TO MAKE SURE SHE IS A BREDABLE FEMALE. WHEN LOOKING FOR A PUP MAKE SURE YOU GET AN HEALTH GUARTEE WITH THAT PUP, I GIVE 2YRS HEALTH GUARTEES WITH MY PUPS.. ASK BREEDER AL ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND IF THE BREEDER CAN'T ANSWER THOSE QUESTION SHE IS NOT THE BREEDER FOR YOU...
London & Hooch
Image hosted by Photobucket.co<span style= m" width="350" height="262" class="bbc_img resized" />