Author Topic: Possible Fear Related Aggression?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Possible Fear Related Aggression?
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:13:49 pm »
Posted this in Kuvasz Discussions:

Hello,

I'm appealing to those on this board having experience with LGD's, especially Kuvaszok, to get (hopefully) many suggestions.  (No offense meant, Mrs. Kidle.)  Sapphire, a 5 month old Kuvasz female, was boarded for four days over the weekend.  Unfortunately, we learned that she had been aggressive; today, when we went back to pick up some forgotten toys, I found out that she had been "skittish" and had growled.      Apparently, it was pretty bad, and they couldn't get her out of the kennel (which explains why the toys had been peed on).

It sounded to me like the aggression was fear-related.  What do you think?  Is this unusual in LGD's?  How can it be dealt with?  We only boarded her because she was so young that we didn't think aggression would be a problem, and she stayed with Gucci, who has been boarded before.

Hmm...It might be helpful to know a little more about Sapphire.  She is very protective of the family and will bark and even growl at "intruders," but she is fine with deliverymen and doesn't even notice passers-by.  This problem (with guests) is being addressed by having her on a leash, putting her in sit-stay or down-stay, and reprimanding her when she barks.  We back it up with a short tug or even a snap when necessary.  When we go out for training classes, she accepts people, unless they are acting sneaky (such as ducking quickly away when they see her), in which case she becomes alert and barks a few times.  Sapphire will back away from some people when they approach her and try to pet her, and she quickly takes a liking to others, but I understand this is normal.  Sometimes she even barks at people she doesn't like, which probably isn't normal.  She is timid around new dogs unless they are much smaller than she is.  Food aggression is not a problem, except with other dogs; Sapphire will let my 10-month old little sister take kibble out of the bowl and attempt to eat it.  If I take away the bowl, she just tries to eat faster, but there is no other fussing.  I usually give her a treat or hand feed some of the kibble.  Also, I just put her in a sit-stay while I put Gucci's food down, and she will hold it until I release her and put down her bowl.  I haven't seen her exhibit any dominance-related aggression toward people, and she doen't do anything serious toward Gucci.  If Gucci is getting attention and she doesn't like it, she'll initiate a game by chewing on her, or just run her off.  She'll also bark when Gucci has a chew that she wants, but nothing happens there.  (Generally, Gucci has her chew, so I give it back to Sapphire, but not always.)  That is probably more than you need to know.  ;)

Sofia

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Fear Related Aggression?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:00:44 pm »
I don't see a problem.
At 5 months she's still staking her territory. You took her from her home and family when you boarded her, and she responded to her breed instinct. Protect the home. She was lost and confused and frightened by the new surroundings, the new smells, and the new sounds. And was probably worrying about you and her family.
I boarded Tulsa for 4 days at the end of July. It was the first time she had been away from me in 2 years for more than 10 hours! My friend Randy went to visit her while I was gone, I had given the kennel instructions that Randy could take her out anytime. She would walk and talk with her and take her to a Fountain where she could play in the water.
When I came to pick her up she was SO glad to see me.
No Issues, No Fears, and No retaliation for leaving her.
Perhaps the next time you have to board your baby you can arrange for a friend to visit, and take her out of that environment for awhile. It will go a long way for your dogs peace of mind, and yours!
John and Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

BabsT

Re: Possible Fear Related Aggression?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 04:32:33 pm »
LGD's are very very sensitive(sp) to a change in their environment... You have a baby on your hands that has a drive of 100% defense...She knows she has defense in her but she doenst fully understand what it is for...

Your baby felt alone and really didnt know what was to be expected or what was expected of her...

I own a central asian shepherd and I would never in a million years board him due to temp and his defense drive

Another thing about LGD's is that some of them 'pretend' to be afraid to lure the predator and have a distrust of strangers which means a minimal at most hello

They also have fear periods which your girl could have been in...

Good Luck