Author Topic: A+ Great Breeders - What makes one?  (Read 7708 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
A+ Great Breeders - What makes one?
« on: September 15, 2005, 09:23:43 pm »
In my search to lean as much as possible about breeding I ask myself tons of questions daily, I even have an answer at times.  So my question for today is what makes an excellent breeder?  We chat about BYY, pet shop puppies, rescues due to lack of knowledge by the original owners.  Now I would like to hear from those of you that are very pleased with your breeder and would go back to that breeder for another puppy.  What is it that makes a breeder not just good but great? 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: A+ Great Breeders - What makes one?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 09:40:16 pm »
I am pretty new to the dog world but here's my 2 cents...A good breeder is passionate about his/her breed...They can answer your questions & if they don't know the answer they will find out for you...A good breeder does the proper testing & knows their dogs & their lines...A good breeder combines the ideal with some good ol' fashioned comman sense...A good breeder will offer a health & temperment gauruntee & help to defray medical costs if things unforseen go wrong...They will also offer to "replace" the puppy but would rather you worked with them to "fix" the pup...A good breeder will give you references & expect the same from you....A good breeder insists on a contract also!...A good breeder will happily return your deposit & send you on your way if their dogs take a disliking to you...A good breeder respectfully asks for updates on the pup they sold you & is saddened if they don't come...A good breeder is there for you for the life of your puppy for advise & support....A good breeder, if faced with personal hardships, will do with out so their dogs don't have to...A good breeder cries as she watches her puppy looking at her out of the back window of your van as you drive away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:05:41 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:54:36 pm »
Could that breeder be Jackie,  ;)  That is just the type information I am looking for.  It will be nice to hear from everyone what makes their breeders special. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:10:22 pm »
Could that breeder be Jackie,  ;)  That is just the type information I am looking for.  It will be nice to hear from everyone what makes their breeders special. 
That'd be our Jackie!...I forgot to include that a good breeder also becomes a good friend if you let her. :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 07:16:41 am »
You know I think that would be one of the great things about  breeding.  You are adding to someones family and they are adding to yours. If I ever breed I would want to stay a part of the puppies lives through photos, stories and maybe annual litter parties. 

Does anyone have a breeder that has a web-cam so you can see your new puppy each day before you bring it home? 

author=GYPSY JAZMINE link=topic=3564.msg43291#msg43291 date=1126843822]
That'd be our Jackie!...I forgot to include that a good breeder also becomes a good friend if you let her. :)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:18:53 am »
I was totally devastated when we lost our Cheyenne, GSD almost 3 years ago. A week later I was on the phone trying to find a Shiloh Shepard puppy. After a few calls I finally found a breeder who had puppys, but I had to wait about 4 weeks. We spent over an hour on the phone that night. Anyway I agreed to wait. I never heard of contracts before & I was shocked when I got the 4 page contract, everything in the contract was what I would have lived by anyway. Mostly about the care of the puppy/dog & keeping in touch with her. Then the xrays, heart & tyroid testing that had to be sent to OFA. I was impressed that this woman cared about what happened to this puppy after cash exchanged hands. I was also invited to join the Yahoo group & keep touch with his siblings & meet other Shiloh people. It was absolutely the best experience I had with a puppy. She was always there for us. When I was ready for another puppy, I called her & she helped me find Kiya. We will always keep in touch with Apache's grandma.
Carolyn

Carolyn