Author Topic: Dogs swallowing what?  (Read 11831 times)

lins_saving_grace

Dogs swallowing what?
« on: September 16, 2005, 09:29:11 am »
What is the strangest things your dogs have swallowed?  and what are the things they've swallowed that you worry about the most?  How did it all turn out?

I'm asking cus Grace swallowed something last night (I'd hate to say what cus it's "one of those things") and now I'm concerned.   She seems ok...like it was nothing at all.  She just loves to get into things and shoot them down the ole' pie hole.  I try to grab most of it before it goes down ... but I lost this one.   :-\

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs swallowing what?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:34:45 am »
the strangest things my dogs have eaten?  Having lived on Dairy Farms their whole lives...I don't think you want to know.   :P

The most worrisome thing was socks.  Tenchi was forever eating socks and undies and I would be frantic until I knew everything "came out ok".  To play on words.  lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:37:24 am »
Okay ... I can't believe I'm telling you this, but I will, b/c you brought it up.

My old dog, Lexi, once ate something, well, not so good for her, out of the trash can.  Lets just say it was something rubbery and not good for a dog.  Anyways, I saw her head in the trash, yelled at her, and saw her take off with it in her mouth, catching her once it was down the hatch.  The vet recommended that I try to make her puke, so I did, and all that came up was water.  Days later she passed it -- whole, which was really gross, but made me really relieved at the same time.

That's really the only time I can remember being scared about something one of our furkids had eaten ... of course I was grossed out and really ashamed at the same time, which makes it 20 times worse.

Well this "thing" is the same concept...it's a bathroom item but more cottony and pluggy.  but if your dog can pass a rubbery item then Grace can pass a cottony item.  thanks

Offline Astrids mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:39:05 am »
Astrid swallows all kinds of things. The other day she swallowed a big green bug from unknown origins. She also likes rocks, and has discovered the pile of charcoal ashes and found that be delish?? She feels if it is on the ground why not eat it and that goes for anything. I hate to think of all the things that have shot down her pie hole LOL  :D no matter how hard I try to avoid it. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 09:39:26 am »
the strangest things my dogs have eaten?  Having lived on Dairy Farms their whole lives...I don't think you want to know.   :P

The most worrisome thing was socks.  Tenchi was forever eating socks and undies and I would be frantic until I knew everything "came out ok".  To play on words.  lol
Oh she gets into the laundry all the time...it drives me NUTS!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 09:43:19 am »
she didn't seem upset this morning at all...normally hyper as always.
thanks...it's reassuring.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 10:10:53 am »
I have a story that isn't quite so...um...pers onal.  When I was a kid, we had a basset hound.  He was not the smartest dog ever.  Sweet though.  Anyway, he would eat anything!  He was also sort of tricky, and managed to find all these things to eat.  Here is a list of things that I remember him eating, all of which turned out okay: the glass part of a lightbulb ( :o ), several plastic StarWars figures, and the usual assorted socks, etc.  He would also chew on unopened cat food cans...he could actually pierce the can with his teeth!  Nothing ever seemed to phase him.   :)

Anyway, I'll bet Grace will be okay too.   :)

Jessica

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 10:18:15 am »
thanks!  It didn't occur to me till someone here at work mentioned that "they" expand and I started to worry. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:19:43 am »
Astrid swallows all kinds of things. The other day she swallowed a big green bug from unknown origins. She also likes rocks, and has discovered the pile of charcoal ashes and found that be delish?? She feels if it is on the ground why not eat it and that goes for anything. I hate to think of all the things that have shot down her pie hole LOL  :D no matter how hard I try to avoid it. 
Rocks are a stable diet for Grace lately.  LOVES them.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 10:32:13 am »
Only God knows what Kiya has eaten.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 10:32:25 am »
My Mom's dog ate the baby Jesus out of the Nativity scene under the Christmas tree one year. She wasn't struck by lightning or anything.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 10:33:50 am »
My Mom's dog ate the baby Jesus out of the Nativity scene under the Christmas tree one year. She wasn't struck by lightning or anything.
Stella
What a blessed puppy!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 10:34:43 am »
Stella

LOL!  Ranger has eaten several pieces of toys, but we have always made him barf them back up.  He heads for the hills whenever he sees the shot glass that we put the hydrogen peroxide into....   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 10:38:10 am »
my parents last OEM (pick of the litter, beautiful dog)... this was probably about 8 years ago... ate an entire pack of my mother's birth control pills..  The vet had to do an emeragancy spay...   Her breeder was non too happy with us since she would have been a champion and wanted to breed her...
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 10:49:03 am »
Zeus will eat anythng wood, (Apparently not enough fiber in his diet?) so we just keep the wood stuff picked up.

Apollo however, loves Mom's undies. Joshua got promoted a while ago. He invited a buch of people over for a party. I was at work, and I got a phone call.

"Honey, when are you coming home?"

"Why, did you burn the house down or something?" (Long story there, Josh'a other name is Tim Taylor)

"No, but you might want to take Apollo to the Vet for a check up."

"Josh, if you fed my dog beer, I'm going to be right pi$$ed at you and your friends."

"I'll talk to you when you get here". (Laughter in the background) *click*

I got home a lightening-fast 10 minutes later.

Apparently, when Joshua arrived with all of the guests in-tow, Apollo met them at the door. With my favorite lipstick-red pair of panties hanging like dental floss out of his mouth. Josh lunged for them, and Apollo swalowed them so that Daddy couldn't take them away.

Josh was terrified that they would wrap around his intestine or something horrible like that. (The elastic you see.)

AS my grandmother always said........

this too shall pass. ::) ::)

We now have a hamper with a child-lock on it. The Crime Lord (he's an excellent thief) can figure out how to get into anything that isn't locked.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA