Author Topic: Lion or Pyr???  (Read 5930 times)

Kiahpyr

Lion or Pyr???
« on: September 16, 2005, 03:09:35 pm »
HHHMMM! Check out the mane on this guy.

BabsT

Re: Lion or Pyr???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
I believe that is a white tibetan Mastiff not a Pyr...Regardle ss the dog sure does have a big mane

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 04:43:41 pm »
OMG!!  He's so awesome!  He does look a lot like a lion with that mane, way too cool!

Andi

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 05:01:17 pm »
WOW, What a dog! Where did you see him?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 09:13:04 pm »
Oh my, that is one hairy dawg!!  :o

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:52:53 pm »
I believe that is a white tibetan Mastiff not a Pyr...Regardle ss the dog sure does have a big mane
It is a gorgeous dog!...& now I am interested in knowing what it is...I couldn't find anything about a white tibetan mastiff...whit e markings but not all white...This is what I found for breed standard for the breed....Other than color it looks like a Tibetan Mastiff...Is it perhaps a Pyrenean Mastiff?
COLOUR : Rich black, with or without tan marking; blue, with or without tan markings; gold, from rich fawn to deep red. All colours to be as pure as possible. Tan ranges from a rich chestnut to a lighter colour. White star on breast permissible. Minimal white markings on feet acceptable. Tan markings appear above eyes, on lower part of legs and underside of tail. Tan markings on muzzle; spectacle markings tolerated around eyes.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 11:58:03 pm »
dude.....i want one!

BabsT

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 05:36:16 am »
There are white ones...it isnt in the standard but there are breeders profiting off of it...I will send you some links or pics that I have some where buried in this pc LOL

BabsT

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 05:54:19 am »
Here are some pics

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 06:53:51 am »
The "lion5" image looks like it has back dew claws.  Anyone one else think so?  It could an old Pyr.  My Rosie had a large mane at 9 1/2 even living in the south.  Anyone have photos of older Pyrs?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:57:28 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 09:57:52 am »
Here are some pics

Ty Babs!...I looked & looked & couldn't find pics or even reference to a white one....& Lisa, Rosie was just gorgeous!...You were very lucky to have had her!...& yes, I see the dews in the lion5 pic also...Here is a pic of a Pyrenean Mastiff which is what I thought the lion dog might be.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 10:03:23 am »
Thank you, Rosie was my dear sweet baby.  I was very lucky to have had her for 9 1/2 years.  9 1/2 years here and forever in my soul.

As for the lion? and the Pyrenean Mastiff they do look alot alike. Maybe it is a mix of a Pyrenean Mastiff with a Newf. The head looks more mastiff or newf to me. 

Lisa

Here are some pics

Ty Babs!...I looked & looked & couldn't find pics or even reference to a white one....& Lisa, Rosie was just gorgeous!...You were very lucky to have had her!...& yes, I see the dews in the lion5 pic also...Here is a pic of a Pyrenean Mastiff which is what I thought the lion dog might be.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 01:34:19 pm »
He's a purbred pyr bread by Kiah's breeder. She took him back because the owners could no longer care for him. I don't remember how old he is. He weighs 175lbs. I think most of the weight comes from all that hair. She was going to take him to the groomers. The pictures really don't do him justice. He was huge and a big baby!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 01:39:38 pm »
WOW!...He's awesome!...I love the fuzzy head I do I do!!!...It's no wonder we didn't know what he was for sure...He is massive!...You don't find Pyrs that big too very often at all! :o

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 03:03:22 pm »
Do you know his age? Amber & I were talking at petsmart and we came up with that he was a very large older Pyr.