Author Topic: Pyrenean Mastiff  (Read 4874 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Pyrenean Mastiff
« on: September 16, 2005, 11:44:19 pm »
I have come across these dogs in my research quite a few times....Does anyone know just what relation they are to the Great Pyrenees & how they came to be?...Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 11:58:41 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrenean Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 12:28:24 pm »
You peaked my curiosity, so I did some researching and came up with this great website.

http://www.pyreneanmastiff.org/

There is an origin and history link.  If you go about 1/2 way down the page under Temperment, the 4th paragraph goes over how they are related (sort of).  It's kind of hard to decipher from the history lesson, but you get the basic concept.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 12:42:20 pm »
Ty zoocrew!...I'm about to sign off for now but I will totally check out the link a little later!...Of coarse Iwant one!!...Not gonna get one though...I don't think at least..lol! ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:26:08 pm »
Your welcome.  LOL........... ..actually that was the first website I came across.  But it was so informative, I thought it would work.  Although like I said, you have to muddle through and extensive history lesson to find anything of interest.

BabsT

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:28:53 pm »
I believe that one of the top breeder of the PM is going to be at the molosser olympics next may (memorial day weekend) in lockport NY...I went last year with zero and now I will go with Zero(CAO)and Misha(CO)

It is awesome because it is a molosser breed dog show, working show and TT tests etc....

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 04:06:28 pm »
Okay, I found a website that explains it the same way, but much more quickly.  I wasn't even looking for another website on the pyrenean mastiff, but looking up a Ca de Bou and came across this great website:

http://www.moloss.com/

Here is the page going over the history of the pyrenean mastiff, quickly and concisely.  Much easier to follow and understand than the first website I suggested.

[url][http://www.moloss.com/brd/mr/m003/history.html/url]

BabsT

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 04:08:54 pm »
I know of a breeder that has Cao de Bou...if you want, i can send you his email addy...he is in NY...he may take a few days to get back because of his line of work

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:26:13 pm »
They are beautiful

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 11:18:33 pm »
I know of a breeder that has Cao de Bou...if you want, i can send you his email addy...he is in NY...he may take a few days to get back because of his line of work

I actually wasn't looking at one to adopt (but thank you for the offer, that's very nice of you).  Okay, here's the whole story.  I play a game on another webgroup called "guess the puppy", and you have to guess the breed of puppy.  Normally I am pretty good at this, but this current puppy pic is stumping me.  Anyway, as I was looking up breeds, I came across the Cao de Bou, and am not familiar with the breed, so I thought I would check it out.  I do like them as a breed from what I saw, but even if I could get another dog right now (which I can't), I promised hubby the next dog would be small.  :'(  :'(  :'(

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 11:49:48 am »
Here's  the link http://www.molosserbreeders.homestead.com/  I went last year and had a good time...I stayed at the holiday inn

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 10:32:37 am »
What kind of dog is this in your picture?  It looks like my Alaskan Malamute! If it is one how old and how much dose it weigh.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 10:53:36 am »
What kind of dog is this in your picture?  It looks like my Alaskan Malamute! If it is one how old and how much dose it weigh.
Who's dog are you referring to Lendy? :)

Offline Lendy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 10:56:59 am »
Think it was a picture of Samson. That is what it says above the picture.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 05:09:07 pm »
Think it was a picture of Samson. That is what it says above the picture.
You must mean dog4ever's Samson...One of my guys is a Samson also...He is the dog pictured here...dog4eve r's Samson is 15 I believe & he is an Alaskan Malamute.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:12:27 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »