Author Topic: New Introduction-Raisa  (Read 18109 times)

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
New Introduction-Raisa
« on: March 08, 2005, 07:44:26 pm »
This is Raisa, my 4 year old Alaskan Malamute.  In this picture her and I had taken a break while hiking this past October at a state park near our home in Wisconsin.  She loves the outdoors, is very beautiful, extremely intelligent, independant, and very much like her closest ancestor the wolf.  She has faced several physical challenges in her short life, but we take and make every day count.  She loves hiking, but especially in the cold weather....her favorite!   Raisa has VERY BIG PAWS!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: New Introduction-Raisa
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:46:17 pm »
What kind of challenges has she faced? Health problems?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:35:54 am »
What kind of challenges has she faced? Health problems?

When Raisa was just a little over a year old, she suffered FCE, which in our terms is a spinal embolism.  She had a severe stroke at the base of her spine that left her apralyzed in her back left leg for 3 months.  She has made a miraculous recovery, and now only has a slight limp and foot drag in that back leg.  This past May, she was then diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and arthritis in both her back hips.  She is, however, one unbelievable fighter, and is doing very well. Nothing, gets this girl down, and I am so very proud of her for that fighting attitude and spirit. I know that could change at any time on any given day, but I manage her discomfort with Rimadyl on an as need basis and a booster of (1) adequan injection every 3 months or so.  I call Raisa my "miracle dog" and I am very grateful for her current health status and don't take one single day with her for granted.

Offline ker chunk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:13:03 am »
She is beautiful!  She is very lucky to have you as a parent!  Have you tried any of the joint health meds for her?  I've heard that they work wonders.... 8)
Valerie the Varmint
owned by Mama Cass - English Mastiff
and Mr. Higgins - Newfoundland

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 09:20:26 am »
Wow..what a wonderful story of triumph and perserverance. It's sad to hear of the struggles she's faced so face in her young life. With your love and support I'm sure she'll live way far into old age.
Besides the pain meds, do you use any vitamins/supplements? I know that with our Bear they do help to keep his joints lubricated. He too may have dysplasia in his front legs, but since he is still growing and hasn't had any problems in the past few months I'm hopeful that the pain he had was just a bout with natural growing pains.  ;) 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:20:59 am »
She is beautiful!  She is very lucky to have you as a parent!  Have you tried any of the joint health meds for her?  I've heard that they work wonders.... 8)

I have not tried any joint health meds, however upon the recommendation of my vet, I changed her food last May to Nutro Max for Large Breeds with Glucosamine, and I firly believe that has made a world of difference.  It has been suggested as an option to provide the joint tablets as well, but I am so skiddish on any medication that is not prescribed by a vet who knows Raisa's history, that I am afraid to take the plunge. The day I brought her home at 8 weeks, I immediately took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with aortic stenosis in her heart and she has a slight murmer, so I am always conscious of that; even though it does not effect her on a day to day basis.  Any advice on safe options would be appreciated. Thank you for the inquiry...

Offline ker chunk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:31:00 am »
I have heard some good things about the springtime products.  I am about to purchase some for the first time.  I talked to my vet first, I don't believe in giving myself, my family or my furkids anything without first talking it out with a Dr.  I can let you know how I feel about it after they have been on it for awhile if you want....My Newfi may have mild displaysia and also has a week knee.
Valerie the Varmint
owned by Mama Cass - English Mastiff
and Mr. Higgins - Newfoundland

Offline Viney Dog

• Ankle Biter
  • Raisa-Beautiful.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 10:03:15 am »
Wow..what a wonderful story of triumph and perserverance. It's sad to hear of the struggles she's faced so face in her young life. With your love and support I'm sure she'll live way far into old age.
Besides the pain meds, do you use any vitamins/supplements? I know that with our Bear they do help to keep his joints lubricated. He too may have dysplasia in his front legs, but since he is still growing and hasn't had any problems in the past few months I'm hopeful that the pain he had was just a bout with natural growing pains.  ;)  

Thank you for your concern; she is an amazing Malamute, that is for sure!  She can still outrun my Pyr, Czar at any point in time in terms of speed, even with (1) not so good leg!  I have changed her dog food to Nutro Max with glucosamine for large breeds, and that has made a world of difference.  I am always open to suggestions that I could check with my vet on, as I always want to make sure she is comfortable at all times.  My Pyr went through the same growing pains you mention in Bear.  He had stiffness in his front legs when he was growing, but it subsided when he reached about 2 years old.  The vet recommended limiting excercise, jumping, etc at such a young age because they are growing so fast and those bones just can't keep up.  My wishes to you for Bear to grow out of it as he becomes older.  He is just so incredible...

Offline walnutcreekbernese

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 05:34:33 pm »
 :)  Raisa is very beautiful from the photo - She is very brave and she have strong spirit to be with you forever..

My brother have a grey/white Alaskan malamute around one year old "Buzz", Lots of work in training but did well in the showing and agility training, both my brother and Buzz love eachother and they always do many things together.

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 08:31:25 pm »
Wow she is so lucky to have you please keep us up to date
What a great love you must have for  her
Ann Oppelaar