Author Topic: Fear in a Great Pyrenees puppy  (Read 2192 times)

Offline snowflake

• Gnawer
  • This is Puddles, sister of Snowflake, at 7 mos.
    • View Profile
Fear in a Great Pyrenees puppy
« on: September 17, 2005, 10:13:38 am »
We have two 7 month old Great Pyrenees systers, plus a 6.5 month old Golden Retreiver.
For the past 7 weeks or so, Puddles,  our Pyrenees, exhibits fear of many things - people, especially children, large objects, sudden movement. While she was once as happy and friendly as the other two dogs, she is now scared of so many things. She is afraid of people and other dogs who come into the yard and runs to the farthest corner. She is very frightened of cars and loud engines. 

We wonder if someone could have come up to our yard and frightened her, although we live in a remote area with neighbors not too close, except in back, where there are small children. I have never seen the children come near the fence.

They are all in training class and the trainer is working on Puddle's fear. I wonder if anyone has any experience in the subject. She is also the dog who barks the most, especially after it gets dark and early in the morning when we first put them out. We live near the forest and animals are about, but I wonder if she is barking from fear. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Fear in a Great Pyrenees puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 10:24:26 am »
It sounds to me that she is going through a fear stage...I had the same problems with Samson who turned 1 in July...Though it may be a stage you don't want to reinforce the fear so you will want to take her out & socialize her by going for walks & taking her wherever you can so she gets used to seeing different things & becomes desensatized to them...Do not tell her it's "O.k." as we tend to do when our fur babies are frightened because she may be understand that it is O.k. to react like that...I tried to ignore samson when he did these types of things & only give him attention when he calmed & exibited wanted behaivor...The I would praise him to high heaven!...Also, with the fear of children it may help to go up to them very & in a very happy tone say, "look Puddles"!..."Who is it"!!!...Show only happy & positive & show no recognition of her unwanted behaivor...You will want to get a handle on the fear because a scared dog will often mature into a fear biter...That being said, keep in mind also that Great Pyrs are by nature wary of people & things that "don't belong"...It is their job to notice things out of place...But, the fear is not good added to that...Good luck & if I think of anything else I will let you know. :)