Author Topic: Mixing Food?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Mixing Food?
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:20:02 pm »
Hey, folks, when we took Ranger to his class at the Humane Society, during our discussion about what we feed him, they recommended feeding him kind of a "base food" and then supplementing it by mixing in a second kibble, or even mixing two kibbles together.  They mentioned that people do not get their nutrition from just one food source, so why should dogs... 

Does anybody do this?  Mix a couple different types of kibble?  Or supplement a "base" kibble with a little extra of another brand?  I can't really think of any reason NOT to do this, but it never hurts to ask....   ;D

(BTW - we found the greatest pet supply store not too terribly far from us.  It is just a little mom-and-pop place, but they carry every brand of food you could ever want - they had Innova, Chicken Soup, Wellness, Solid Gold, Merrick, and I can't even remember what else...  I was in heaven!) 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Mixing Food?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 09:13:56 pm »
Not sure if it's o.k. or not but I am currently feeding a mix of Merrick (4 different kinds..lol) Premium Edge Lamb & Rice, Premium Edge Chicken & Rice, & Canidae...I am aiming at getting the boys off of the Lamb & Rice so I bought the Chicken & Rice...Then I decided I liked the Canidae & I would just supplement with glucosamine... Then my friend gave me a bunch of Merrick to try...So, my dogs are eating a doggy buffet currently.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Food?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 09:49:25 pm »
I don't think that there is anything wrong with mixing foods, but I don't think it neccessary either if you are using a properly balanced food... To go with your analogy, think about it this way: no humans don't get all of their nutrition from one food, but we do often eat just one dish when that dish combines multiple foods. Think of kibble as a casserole - it's not really one food, but many foods combined to make one dish. I know that the kibble I feed has meat, carbs, veggies, and fruit in it, as well as all sorts of vitamins and minerals...
RIP former BPO