Author Topic: Feeding Suggestions  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Feeding Suggestions
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:29:24 pm »
I've noticed on several posts people mentioned they mix food in with their dog's food, such as chicken or vegitables.  I'm really interested in the raw diet, however, I don't think it will really work for me now.  I don't really even cook for myself much less the dog.  But lately, with all of his health problems i'm thinking that maybe I should start.
His eating is still pretty minimal, although it increases a little daily.  I still think he is kind of underweight for his age (113 lbs at 10 months).  I was wondering if those of you who mix in food could let me know what you do and how it works for you.
Before all of his recent medical woes we were told to feed him green beans as it was good for his joints.  He loved them, but we didn't know how often or how much to give him.  He seems to have a sensitive little belly so i'm worried about experimenting too much. 
Should I consider mixing in canned vegitables or some chicken?  Or is canned food okay?  I guess i'm trying to find the most convenient AND cost effective plan (if those two coincide).  I'm also worried about making him a finicky eater. 
I would love any advice you experts may have.  Thanks!

Offline saratogajones

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:30:57 pm »
We have a 5 1/2 month old female Saint, Moxie.  Our vet suggested switching her from a wetted dry food to only dry, two times a day.  The only suggestion she had was to make sure the primary ingredient in the food was a type of meat.  We have also heard and read that carrots are great and enjoyed.  One caution, I tend to give our dog almost any natural fruit of veggie.  I had given her grapes and apparently according to a number of references, grapes and raisins are toxic to all dogs.  Hope this helps.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 05:54:26 pm »
Bear eats the blue Solid Gold (I think beef) kibble and the Dick Van Patten's beef peperroni-like stick each morning and night. He does have days when he is finicky and might eat the meat only in the morning but then goes back later in the afternoon and eats the rest. He also gets meat (any kind) after we have finished eating dinner.
Oh yah- I should also add that he is extremely spoiled and has a rock hard tummy so eats lots of different goodies when we feel like he's been a good boy, of course only after dinner though!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 06:38:04 pm »
Our dogs used to be finicky eaters and would leave food in their bowls for hours.  Our vet said if it didn't look good to us it probably doesn't look so great to them.  He told us to use mainly dry kibble, 2 or 3 different raw veggies, and a couple of bites of canned food.  They have cauliflower, carrots, celery, green peppers, beets, and asparagus.  Not all at once but a couple different ones at each meal.  Also use the liquid from cooking veggies to mix in as we put glucosomine in the evening meal and vitamins in the morning.  They are very VERY happy eaters now and slick up their plates at each meal.  They have raw veggies for snacks, they both love celery and it doesn't make them fat. :D