Author Topic: Taking dogs shopping  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Taking dogs shopping
« on: April 20, 2005, 11:11:18 am »
If we ever go to the pet store for supplies, we usually take Bear. I’m not sure if we take him because we can, or because we think he would want to go. But regardless, it’s always fun to watch him as he snoops around deciding what he would like to take home.
How does everyone here settle on toys or treats? Do you let your dog decide, or do you pick out something you feel is best for him/her?

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Taking dogs shopping
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:36 pm »
Too funny, thats why you never buy anything from bottom shelves!!
I usually pick toys out, they never seem to make up thier minds in the store, and like thier mom sometimes pick expensive things. With all the toys we have I try to find those bargin bins. I have even dumped out the toy box at home in a big pile. Its fun to watch them find whats been burried in the bottom & haven't seen in a while. My 2 yr old Shiloh still loves squeeky toys.

Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline BOBI

• Gnawer
  • I'M NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:46:13 pm »
BOTH OUR BOUVS ENJOY THE STUFFED SQUEAKY TOYS. FRAN IS PARTIAL TO ONE HALF MOON LOOKING THING. WHERE ADE WILL HOP FROM ONE THING AND TOSS IT INTO THE AIR IN DELIGHT , THEN WHILE MOUTHING THAT ONE TO MAKE IT "SQUEAK", JOYFULLY POUNCE ON SOMETHING ELSE HE SPIED A FEW FEET AWAY.
I HAVE AN ANTIQUE WOODEN BABY CRADLE I BOUGHT AT A SECOND HAND STORE THAT I KEEP ALL THE DOGS TOYS IN.AND AT THE SHOP, ALL THE DOGS KNEW IT WAS THE "TOY BOX", AND HELP THEMSELVES, EXCEPT THE LOW RISE DOGS....HEHE. WHO COULDN'T QUITE GET INTO IT. THEY COULD SEE THE TOYS, BUT NOT REACH THEM. THOSE ARE THE DOGS THAT SEEMED TO ENJOY THE SMALL RUBBER BALLS WITH THE BELLS INSIDE.
DAE'S FAVORITE TOY IS A SOCCERBALL THAT HAS A SYTEM OF 4 STRAPS AROUND IT WITH TWO TIED ROPE PULLS ON 2 SIDES. HE HAS DEMOLISHED ONE ROPE, AND IT'S HUMOROUS TO WATCH HIM GRAB THE ONE SIDE THAT'S LEFT AND SLING THE BALL BACK AND FORTH TILL IT RICOCHETS OFF HIS HEAD.
THAT ONE WAS LIKE 15 BUCKS AT PET DUMB! I GOT IT FOR THE DOGS AT THE SHOP, BUT ALL THOSE TOYS ARE NOW HERE AT HOME SINCE I RETIRED.
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING....    "HOLY CRAP, WHAT A RIDE..."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:46:41 pm »
Shopping is an adventure mainly because it takes so long to get where we are going (aisle specific) since so many people want to stop us and ask "What kind of dog is he'?" "How old is he?" "What is his name?" "Can I pet him?" Once that is over though, shopping is fun and Bear is definitely in Heaven!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:12:13 pm »
We don't take Rufus to the pet store anymore because he feels compelled to leave his calling card at every aisle and we hate to carry around paper towels and mop up the puddles.  His favorite toy is a mega nylabone that I buy online and he knows comes in a box delivered to the door.  He gets excited every time the UPS guy comes because he knows he will get a treat and maybe a new bone.  He inspects every package we get.  Our rottie Bailey has 3 stuffed babies that we got for her when we got her home from the rottie rescue place and you would think they were real babies.  She sleeps with them, worries over them, wants us to hold them, carries them around everywhere.  She has had them for almost a year and they are in great shape.  She just chewed the tags off of them.  They both have lots of toys but only a few favorites.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 09:46:21 pm »
Earnest has all the Nylabones he needs. He has an aversion to rubber, so Kongs are out, and anything else is dangerous. (He's a very strong chewer)
But we still go to Petsmart for treats and supplies, we went a lot when he was young (I almost said "little" but he was never that!) to work on distraction training. Seems like there's always some know-it-all there full of advice we don't need and didn't ask for, not employees, fellow shoppers!
My favorite are the ones who ask "What breed is he?" and when I tell them Lab/Great Dane, they say "no, I think he's...(insert anything dumb) I KNOW what he is, I saw both his parents!!!  Lately I've been saying "Lochbuie (the town he came from) Lurcher, they're very rare". Stops the arguing, and they are sooo impressed! :D

Offline wickedhailey

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Wicked Hailey Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 11:39:21 am »
My husky loves the squeeky too...So we found the bestest toy ever. The CUZ!!! Good or bad this Kong like sweeky toy is perfect for the dog that breaks everything or shreads it. She will break the squeek pretty quick but then it is my favorite type of toy - indestructible and SILENT. She has 3 or 4 now of various sizes. I get them as presents for every dog I know...Yes I am the evil mom that gives noisy toys...
Check it out next time you are in a pet store...Dog crack for our Sasha