Author Topic: How about big mutts?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline b_clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How about big mutts?
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:26:31 pm »
When I saw the link to this site on craigslist I thought - my dog sure has big paws, sounds cool. What about adding mutts, errr should I say "mixed breed" dogs as a subgroup? I bet we could get some pretty unique pictures in that catagory! I have a dog from the local Humane Society, my guess is he is a Pyr/Kuvasz/Golden mix and my last dog who I had to put down this past December (very sad) was a Newfie/Lab. Could they find a home here? Any other mutt owners out there?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: How about big mutts?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:29:37 pm »
I definitely think that you can call Big paws Only your new home. You're right about the mixed breeds...they don't fit in just one category and some surprise litters have been known to have very big paws.  :D Welcome and I look forward to seeing pictures of your mixed breed.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:14:10 pm »
I posted in "General" but will post again here.
Earnest is Great Dane/Lab

Phyfe is St. Bernard/Mastiff

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:43:45 am »
Hi, everyone...
 I'm new! I found this forum on Craigslist and thought it sounded fantastic. I'm also the owner of a big old mutt with big ol paws! I believe he's a Newf/Chow mix. We call him our "Chewfie"!!! He's about 100 pounds. He basically looks like a Newf that shrunk in the wash! The only indication that he's a chow is his purple tongue. He's all Newf in the personality department! He has sparked a love-affair with Newfies, and I'm seriously considering a Newf puppy in the near future! We live on Lake Michigan and go to the beach everyday.
 Anyway, I don't have any pictures available of my big guy right now, but, will post some soon! I just wanted to say hi and introduce my big big man!!! Thanks!

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:06:19 am »
Chewfie! Too cute!!! I can't wait to see pictures of that!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 11:41:46 am »
Welcome - it's nice to have you with us. I don't have mixed breeds with big paws. But since I have Bullmastiffs and OEM, my mixed breeds with a tad bit smaller paws, kinda get a little corner here too lol.... they would be horribly hurt if they didnt get mentioned once in awhile.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline girlydog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 09:38:18 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this site and have a Briard mix (maybe with Chow) but I noticed Briards weren't listed, and since he's a mix, I guess he belongs in the "big mutts" listing!  Briards are so similiar to the Bouvier de Floundres (sorry about the spelling; it's late and I'm too tired to look it up!) that I would say my "chunky boy" has a place on this site~  I love Briards and their unique temperment and would love to read comments from any other Briard owners-   I feel so fortunate to have found him at the rescue organization I worked with in Georgia, years ago, and am thankful he chose me (I was the only person he bonded with as he had been in other homes and not treated very well as a baby; the first time I looked into his eyes I knew he was spending more than a Thanksgiving with me, as I was originally just helping the organization by taking him home with me b/c he was too sensitive to board and I was the only person he was happy with...). 

My family refers to him as "chunky boy" because he is obsessed with food and especially with the kitchen and watching people cook!  It's adorable to watch him "shake his booty" as he trots up and down the stairs anytime he thinks someone is cooking or eating!  I love large dogs and would like to adopt another rescue; however, it's hard to live in NY and own a large breed (if you don't own where you live) so if anyone has any suggestions for living in NYC with a large breed, I would appreciate the help.

Anyway, I also have a website named:  www.girlydog.c om if anyone is interested in looking at it (it is still a under construction but fully functional); there are photos of my dogs and family/friend's dogs.

***One last note:  I brought my parents a young chow/border collie(?) mix that had been hit by a car as a puppy and ended up having to have a leg amputated; thus, she has only 3 legs.  Let me just say, she can out run me and all of our other dogs any day of the week!  So please don't let physical disabilities prevent you from at least considering adopting an animal-  my parents were concerned about vet costs; yet, she is now around 5 yrs old, weighs around 40-50 pounds, and they have yet to incur any expenses due to her "impairment" -and they live in a  3 story house that even has stairs down the back patio to the yard and they take her to the beach and she loves to play in the water (I think some Newfie is mixed in; she has the jowls of a Newfie and is shiny pure black)-  she's a gift and my parents thank me all the time for bringing her into their lives. 

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 03:09:33 pm »
Ok...so, here's my big guy! Isn't he cute????? He's my Chewfie!!!!

ann

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 06:42:18 pm »

great idea , i also have a big mix lab/akita  i love him dearly and he is as important as my 2 boxers.......

ann

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 10:41:00 pm »
This is Indiana... he is a 10 year old Akita/Shepherd cross (we think anyways).  He was given to me as a birthday present 10 years ago by some friends (who were completely dumb about dogs).  This boy sure lived up to his name and gave us many adventures over the years. For starters he was and still can be an escape artist, he was repeatedly sent home from Veterinarian for being a bad dog (hates to be crated), he was sent home from obedience school (had no desire to have anything to do with any of it), and loves to keep everyone up all night barking (because he heard something and has to make sure the whole neighborhood knows it).  Unfortunately Im afraid he problably wont be with us another year.  His health seems on the down slope no matter what we try.  We love this goofy big mutt dearly. Although I would have never picked him out myself, he sure has been a great long lasting birthday present.

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 06:44:44 am »
I like his little lion.

Tina

Thanks.  But Im sorry to say that shortly after this photo, the Lion lost his eyes and was destuffed. Indiana can't stand to keep his stuffed toys intact.  The first thing that has to go is their eyes and then their stuffing.  :-[

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 10:21:22 am »
I think that's the cutest chewfie I have ever seen!
Honestly, I am a huge mutt fan, I like to call them non-purebreds. They are so unique and I find them to be absolutely gorgeous. I have two myself, a great dane/pointer mix (we suspect) and a bloodhound/saint bernard pup. I LOVE THEM. I used to have some purebred dogs, but I'm lovin' the mixes these days. I have my eye on a ridgeback/deerhound mix that needs adopting... not sure yet though.
Here are my boys.