Author Topic: Heart murmur in Newf puppy  (Read 17439 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Heart murmur in Newf puppy
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:55:25 am »
We are supposed to be picking up a Newf puppy in a week.  His first heart test at eight weeks showed a 3 - 4 murmur but the breeder assures me that he will be clear at ten weeks....that it's very common in male newfs to have a heart murmur early but that it "resolves".  Have any of you heard this?   The vets that I have consulted are all concerned and think that it's probably not going to heal.  Any opinions? ???

Jen

Re: Heart murmur in Newf puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:11:53 am »
Can you contact me off post and let me know who the breeder is.  I think I might have the mother of your puppy.  I just adopted a newf that just left the whelping bed, the previous owner said most of her pups are getting picked up next week.

jen

We are supposed to be picking up a Newf puppy in a week.  His first heart test at eight weeks showed a 3 - 4 murmur but the breeder assures me that he will be clear at ten weeks....that it's very common in male newfs to have a heart murmur early but that it "resolves".  Have any of you heard this?   The vets that I have consulted are all concerned and think that it's probably not going to heal.  Any opinions? ???

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:53:23 pm »
Good luck! I have never heard of such  a thing detected at such a young age that went away. Let us know how it turns out.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 07:32:35 am »
Great news.  On his second test, at ten weeks, Chester's heart has improved to a 2 - 3.  In talking to a veterinary cardiologist, she said that it is quite common for Newfs, in particular to have murmurs even up to 15 weeks.  They mature later than most other breeds.  She specializes in Newfs!!!  and has three herself with heart murmurs.  All are fully functioning, active dogs and her oldest is eleven years old!  SO....we are going to go pick up our boy tomorrow and love him forever!

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:05:37 am »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH   CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS GREAT! NEWS!!!!!!!! 

love him to death, and don't forget to take tons of pictures to share with the rest of us!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 12:01:55 pm »
Congratulation s, You must be thrilled to go pick him up, I know how it is to wait and wait and wait for your puppy. I hope by the next test it is all gone, and you'll all not having to worry over it at all.

And please do send us bunches of pics

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:18:47 am »
Glad to hear that the situation has improved. Can't wait to see pics of your new baby when you get him.
Hugs,
Jaime

Jen

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:36:50 am »
Wonderful!!! ;D Look forward to lots of pics!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 11:49:48 am »
Chester is HOME!!!  In talking to two seperate cardiologists, we all came to the same conclusion.... Chester's going to be fine. He went to his regular vet yesterday and she listened to his heart and said that she wouldn't have known that he had a heart murmur if she didn't have the sheet in front of her describing it! It was a 2 -3 on Friday and yesterday, she would have rated it a 1 - 2

He laid across my husband's and my laps for the three hour flight from Austin, Texas and I think the flight attendants just assumed we were a strange couple with a penchant for stuffed animals!  He just laid quietly and occasionally dozed all the way home.  He's fantastic!!  Cowboy, the big Landseer adores him!  and SO DO WE!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 11:51:44 am »
Another picture of Chester at 10 1/2 weeks and a bit over 18 pounds

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:54:27 am »
He is absolutely adorable, congrats I am sure you are extatic having him home. I am so glad to hear that his murmur is so much improved. Please give him a giant hug from me and mmmmmm stick your nose into him and sniff up that wonderful puppy smell.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 03:47:59 pm »
Thanks!  He seems to be doing SO well but I'm going to take him to a vet. cardiologist (who has 3 Newfs with heart murmurs....bre eder rejects!  and they are OLD!!! YEA!!) on Wednesday to make sure it has resolved.  I just don't want to have to worry about him....at least his heart!  He's full of energy and races around here like a small woolley bear on speed!!!  You haven't been loved until a brown fur ball rushes in to your arms at full speed.  I think he was born without brakes!!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 03:53:07 pm »
Yahoo!!  That is wonderful news!!  I'm glad to hear that Chester is settling in...well, actually running around like a wild man...in his new home!  Give him kisses for me!  :-*  Keep us posted.

Heather

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 01:38:35 pm »
 ;D  Yippee!!!  Chester just got home from the cardiologist and she couldn't hear any sign of a heart murmur!!!  The breeder was right!  He went from having a 3 - 4 murmur at 8 weeks to a 2 - 3 murmur at 11 weeks and an all clear at 14 weeks!!!   He said that the males may have heart murmurs early in life because they are still developing.  Females develop earlier (but we knew that!!!).

He's going to be re-checked in two months just to make sure but I just gave a huge sigh of relief!!!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 04:48:57 pm »
That is awesome news! Give Chester a big ol' drooly kiss for us!
Hugs,
Jaime