Author Topic: Glucosamine and chondrotin for puppies?  (Read 8556 times)

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Glucosamine and chondrotin for puppies?
« on: April 22, 2005, 07:27:17 am »
Hello. I am new to this board and new to the giant breeds. Two weeks ago we adopted a 9 month old Saint Bernard (Magoo) from a Saint Bernard rescue. He is adorable and we love him so much. He gets along so well with everyone and all of our other dogs.....We are hooked on the giant breeds.
Anyway....I have a question about food and supplements. He was on adult food when we adopted him and are switching him over to our adult Wellness food that our other dogs are eating. It does not have glucosamine and chondrotin for joints in it but we started give him a supplement. I don't know if we should continue for preventative purposes or if it is not good for him this early. I have heard no supplements for puppies.
I thought, who better to ask than others with giant breeds! :) Has anyone given their puppy these supplements or later? What do you guys think? Thanks for any info and thanks for starting this site!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Glucosamine and chondrotin for puppies?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:12:29 am »
I definitely believe in giving your dog supplements for preventative reasons and our breeder was so adamant that we got our Newf on Consiquin DS (dog made glucosomine/chondrotin) and Ester C right from the start. They really help to keep his joints lubed and healthy...and since he has grown so quickly without any real problems I am a full supporter! Hope this helps.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 10:43:44 am »
Hi, I had my old horse on it for years, I have Apache & Kiya on glucosimine/chondrotin & decided to join them myself.  I don't think they are 100% sure if it really helps in all situations but my vet doesn't think it would hurt.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
I also spoke to my vet. about starting to give them rather low dosages early to prevent. He said that no studies had really been done, but he was fairly sure it would at least not do any harm if I choose to start when they were very young. So I give it.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog