Author Topic: Are your Newfs Quiet?  (Read 8944 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Are your Newfs Quiet?
« on: September 27, 2005, 12:49:49 pm »
Bava is the quietest dog I have ever had... He will bark at one of the cats rarely, and sometimes if I egg him on and quit playing he will talk at me a bit.. but wow is he quiet.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Are your Newfs Quiet?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 06:22:13 pm »
Angus likes to bark! He barks at the cat, who ignores him, he barks at me to play and he barks in the backyard!! 2 of my neighbours have dogs that bark constantly when they are outside so Angus feels he must join in. I wish the barking was a little less. I can record him and send it to Brandon and maybe that will get him going. :)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 06:50:48 pm »
I don't think my first newf, Hightower, barked at all until he was 10 or 11 years old.  This little 8 week old Webster of mine barks A LOT!! I kinda prefer the quiet.  This is a little yippy bark that I hope he grows out of .
Karen

Offline 3snotenough

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Rhonda's Newfies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:59:22 pm »
my 3 are quiet ;D

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:08:30 pm »
I wish!! :D

Onyx barks if a gnat farts three blocks away. ::)

He barks at the other two dogs playing. He barks if he wants to play with them and they are not interested. He barks if the kids are playing. He barks if my husband and I are.......play ing. 8) He barks if the TV is on.

It's how I can tell when he's happy. I know it's a lot of noise, but everyone in the house is pretty tolerant of it, and as we have no neighbors, I'm not worried that he'll upset anyone. Maybe he'll grow out of it...maybe not.

He has a VERY different bark when he's alerting us to a problem, or if he's unhappy with something. We call it the "barking up your toenails" bark, as it seems to rumble up from the floor. You can tell he's a BIG dog when he does it. ;D
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:17:04 pm »
Sasha is noisy too!  She "talks" to us all the time, not all barking, but foofing, little excited barks, big noisy barks, she has a bark for every occasion!  She barks if she wants to play, if the other puppies are playing too hard, if no one is playing with her, at the cat, etc.  It's kind of cute, but a bit loud.   :D

She never howls, though.  Our first newfie did.  Do your newfs howl?

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:21:56 pm »
No howling....but Onyx can relay a wealth of his personal opinion and feeling with his grunting and snorting.

Yep, he grunts and snorts just like a little pig. ::)
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 11:39:47 pm »
Drake doesn't bark much unless he we're wrestling around or playing and he wants his ball or he hears raccoons outside.  When he want's his ball it's sort of an impatient "Woof!" but when he hears something outside, he does what we call the "Scream Bark".  It's always at night when we all are falling asleep in front of the TV.  He will appear to be sleeping and then all of the sudden he lets out a loud single bark that wakes us up with a heart attack.  Then, if he happens to be sleeping on the hardwood floor, he tries to get up as fast as he can and ends up digging big grooves into the floor.  Every scratch noise is like fingernails on the chalkboard, we try to get him to sleep on his dog bed now but he prefers the cool floor.  So once he gets up, he growls until he gets to the sliding door and then it's, "Woo-woo-WOOOOOOOO!"  You can actually feel his barks!  So to placate him, we let him out and he can't get through the door fast enough.  You can hear him flying down the deck, paint getting ripped up with every step, and more scream barks.  On the flip side, we have taught him to "whisper" for treats, it's pretty funny and very cute.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 11:42:07 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 02:40:19 am »
outside, they will alert me if they hear a noise, they used to be gaurd dogs way back, and barking alerted owners to something in the yard what have you.
i train mine though, no excessive barking.
they can bark if they see or hear something.
they also tend to talk to me, i love it.
i have two quiet ones and the others are talkers, very expressive and very exhuberant.
my queen, morgan is quiet, and tasha is to, though outdoors she will sound the alarm.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 05:24:57 am »
How on earth did you teach him to "whisper" I've read that other people said their newfs "whisper" too....

It's really easy, we taught Drake during one wine soaked evening in Tahoe.  Just get your dog's favorite treat and make them sit in front of you.  Lean close and whisper, "whisper" to them and have the treat ready to give to them once they do it.  I promise you'll get Bava to do it very quickly.  It is so freaking cute when they do it.  They buck their head back and forth and sort of wheeze, like they have laringitis.  Lots of laughs!!!  Then you will be known as the Newf Whisperer.   ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 07:52:31 am »
Bear is not a barker unless two things occur: 1) he is being ignored by me when he really wants to play or want out or 2) he really wants another dog to play with him and they are ignoring his attempts. He barked once to alert me that something was wrong in his super high pitched "Mom I'm coming to save you! Please say something if you are alright" voice.
He does "talk" alot though. We have regular conversations which vary in length. We moan, groan, growl and hmmm together. It is so funny to listen to him.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:41:51 am »
Hang on....are there two Newfs named Bava here? Or are they one in the same?

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 09:56:30 am »
There Can Be only one!
Sorry....  ;D  There's only one Bava, I'm the dad, and Melissakins is the mom.

I guess I just expected a little more noise, we went from a Shetland Sheepdog who you could not walk across the room without getting barked at, to Bava a Newf, who we rarely ever hear make a sound.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 09:59:06 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 10:01:47 am »
Ok, got it! hehehehe!

Cabeza is pretty quiet. He barks at fireworks. And lately, he's been barking at the horses. He's not quite used to being around horses yet.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 10:40:07 am »
Cowboy has barked maybe four times in the year and a half we've had him....and it's only been a Chester.   Chester, on the other hand barks to play, barks to remind me to feed him and barks at the cats.   He's JUST grown a "big boy" bark...to warn me of strangers.  It's SO funny.  He just this week got protective.

My first Newf, Otis, was a talker.  I swear he would try to enunciate words.  He'd watch your mouth closely as you talked and he'd try to imitate you.  I'd imitate him right back.  Many, many giggles!!!  I do miss that boy!