Author Topic: Breed Question?  (Read 8264 times)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Breed Question?
« on: August 23, 2005, 01:03:08 pm »
Does anyone know anything about  Tosa Inu's I saw a pic of one and he was beatifull. I am not looking to get one or anything just curious I have never heard of them before and was wondering if they are a very rare breed of mastiff or someting?
Rachael and Spike

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Breed Question?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 01:07:41 pm »
Hmmm, I don't know too much about them.  I do know they are Japanese, like the Shiba Inu.  I believe they are a guard dog breed and can be quite dog-aggressive, and probably not too fond of strangers, but gentle and loyal within their own family....

That is all I know!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 01:10:24 pm »
Thanks I just saw a pic and just thought they were so beautifull. I had never heard of them before.
Rachael and Spike

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 03:08:22 pm »
One of my sons wants one - heaven forbid!  From what I've read about them, they aren't for the faint-hearted. They can weigh more than 200 pounds and, as someone else mentioned, they are used for fighting.  Although, again from what I've read, the Japanese fighting wasn't quite what we have going on here (ie tossing 2 dogs in a ring and last dog standing wins).  I read that Tosa fighting as akin to sumu wrestling (I maybe wrong, but that sounds a bit like a watered down version of Tosa fighting history).  Unlike shibas, Tosas are a "created" breed, selective cross breeding to produce desired attributes.  We may be seeing more of them in the future ... I noticed that the AKC has been keeping lineage records for Tosas, much like they do for recognized breeds - who knows ... maybe a prelim for applying for AKC.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 04:47:25 pm »
Here is some more info on it, for what it is worth...

http://www.moloss.com/breeds/stuvx/t002/

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

BabsT

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:46:17 pm »
Please contact Laura of StawDogs Tosa's http://www.geocities.com/strawdogsbatosa/  She is the MOST wonderful person in the dog world...She no longer breeds BUT she is by FAR the leading expert on the breed....She will 100% true and honest with you...Tell her Babs Zero's mom sent you...I talk to her fairly often

She also runs. Operation K9 http://operationk9rescue.com/

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:13:38 pm »
I went to the website and loved the outfit on the first dog. Too cute....and yes, I found the info interesting too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 07:29:47 am »
Thanks for the info everyone. I do not know when me and Pierre will be ready for another dog but they sure are pretty. I think he will probably want to get another pit bull. But I would love to get another Giant breed dog.
Rachael and Spike

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:12:39 am »
Me too like the look of them, hmmm could it be because I love mastiffs lol.... well I found another site with info. and as already said here, not sure if the breed is for everyone, but hey that pretty much goes for every breed  :D

Here's the link

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/tosa.htm

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline tchvt

• Gnawer
  • Autumn ( Tosa) Jed (Fila) Dylan (Box) Boston (Box)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 05:49:42 am »
 I have a female Tosa that I am currently fostering. I work as an animal behaviorist and do fostering for a rare breed mastiff rescue. Tosa's are a beautiful breed but looks are very decieving. They are very territorial aggressive. They usually don't get along with other dogs. The dog fighting instinct is so bred into them that even in play they are very rough and go for the neck constantly. The femal that I am fostering was bought on a whim and turned out with lots of issues. These people stuffed her in a crate and terrorized her and beat her. She is very distrustful of men. Tosa's bond very tightly with their family and tend to "protect" that also. I have 3 kids that my Tosa loves but she is weary of other children.

I also teach a veterinary tech course and my dogs to work each day. So this dog is getting lots of socialization but supervised constantly. She could be sitting with a student that student get up go out of the class and she would not let them back  in the room.

She has adapted well to my 3 other dogs, 2 boxers and a Fila. But she does play very rough, I need to watch her a lot all the dogs have bite wounds are their necks not out of aggression just rough play.  Tosa's are not a great breed to have and I would not recc them to anyone, this is a dog you need to watch a lot and more than likely not be able to take out in public a lot.