Author Topic: A what?? you gotta be kidding me!  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
A what?? you gotta be kidding me!
« on: September 28, 2005, 01:50:56 am »
Ok, I am so upset that I missed this!  In that past week there have been two large mammal sightings within a block of me and I didsn't see either.  wah wah wah!   :'(

First, Maria's mother was out walking down our road and what goes lumbering across the road?  A big black bear!  Omg, how totally awesome is that!!!  (bill & ted, thankx)

Then last night, while we were eating dinner, Jay tells me about the second one.  You'll never guess what it was... a MOOSE!  No frikkin way!  I was kind of skeptical until I pulled this up through Google...

A moose about town

Article ID: 3060710
Date: September 25, 2005
Publication: Berkshire Eagle, The (Pittsfield, MA)

Sunday, September 25 A moose takes a break Friday afternoon in a private pond in Lee. The animal strolled through St. Mary's Cemetery, across a field and into the pond, where it spent about 30 minutes before going on its way. Moose are fond of the New England area because the abundance of low foliage and marshes for feeding and staying cool.
That is the next street down from me!  I walk by it with the dogs occasionally!  I love living up in the mountains in the *Berkshires*.   I just hope one of these times, I'll actually be able to see them.   ::) 

On a side note, we did see a beaver at the state park on the other side of town.  I took lots of pix of the lake and the dogs and Spencer.  I even got a picture of the beaver, but it was so far away that you can't make it out thought you can see its lodge and where it was cutting trees down.  I'll post  the pix in another thread.  :)

Ang, if you're reading this, that St Mary's cemetary is the one I pointed out to you when we went to go walk around downtown with the boys.  LOL
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: A what?? you gotta be kidding me!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 03:02:52 am »
Oh, a bear, how totally cool!!  I've been visiting parks all over the nation hoping to catch a sighting of a bear to no avail.

Seen plenty of other wildlife, but no bear.   :'(  I would love to live that close to nature.  The only thing we get around here are coyotes.  They grow big around here.   :o

henrysmomma

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 03:36:22 am »
That's cool. If you guys really want to see wildlife you should come to British Columbia, you're sure to see bears (grizzly and black), cougars, deer, coyotes, wolves, hawks, bald eagles etc, and you don't need to leave the comfort of town to do it! ;D

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 04:01:09 am »
We have the x-large coyotes up here too.  I've heard them either called  northeastern or New York coyotes.  I guess back in the day, they interbred with Red Wolves and are much larger than their coyote cousins to the south and west.  They're usually the size of a large German Shepherds and hunt deer and larger prey.

When we lived in NY we heard them almost every night and they raised a litter of pups on the edge of the cow pasture one year.  It was wonderful going out to bring in the cows and seeing the puppies playing on the stonewall in the distance.  They never bothered the cows or our neighbors sheep, there was WAY too much other wildlife for them to eat in the area.  Our neighbor even told us that he'd go out and the coyotes would be bedded down in the same fields with his sheep and they never bothered a single one.

A side note:  Jay just came home and they were talking about that Moose that was around last Friday.  His boss told him that last year he went to let the dogs out to potty and there was one in his back yard!  They live only a mile or so away from us.  ;D  He said it was amazing because it just stepped over their fence and kept on walking!  Not jumped, STEPPED!   Wow!  Now that is a BIIIIIIG animal!   lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 04:07:08 am »
That is soo cool, Moni.  My Grandma lives in the pacific northwest right on the coast and they have bears.  We saw one on night a few years ago down the street going through the trashcans.  It was cool but kinda scarey.

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:13:19 am »
AHHHHH!! Aren't you scared?  I'm so friggen lame! lol  I'd be crapping my pants if there were a Moose spotted by my house!  I automatically think the big animals like that are just put on this earth to attack, yeah like I said I'm lame! heheee

Andi

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 07:07:11 am »
You and your cemetaries.  Ya freak! :P
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 07:27:57 am »
I live in East Tn not too far from the Smoky Mountains. One of my neighbors had a wild boar in her backyard. I have had Deer and Wild Turkeys in my yard. You see Hawks all the time. I love wild life. Never seen a Moose though :D
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:23:34 am »
I almost stepped on a moose once.

I know, you're thinking, "how in the world do you do that??"  Well, on one of my trips to Yellowstone years ago with my family we stopped along with alot of other people to see some moose.  Well, at that point, I only had a crappy 35 mm camera w/no zoom, so I wanted to get a little closer to this one moose that had pretty big antlers (although they were pretty young, probably around a year or two old).

Anyway, I went to step over a log, and got quite a shock.  There was another male about 10 ft from where the log was.  Needless to say, I backed slowly away from the log.   :o  :o

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 08:37:16 am »
OH MY GOD!!!

I'm laughing SO HARD right now! The image of the helicopter thingy is too funny! Wooh! Thanks for sharing that one! I needed a good laugh.

henrysmomma

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:43:04 am »
That's funny daneinsane! :D
I can just picture this big cariboo swinging his thingy aroung...lol  Yeah, I used to drive through Jasper all the time and the place was always full of carriboo. Just wandering around minding their business :D

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:08 am »
LMAO - Tina....that;s how I feel in Vegas.  Come spend a Saturday night with me in the ER.  Better yet, Saturday night on a full moon - even better

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 08:23:24 pm »
We have had that to and i was so upset i missed the moose!
up where i used to live, on the border of U.P. and wi, there was a moose, he than went south and was found floating in Green bay.
there seems to be one that wanders down every year.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 08:27:00 am »
As a former bartender, I know about the Full Moon!
That's where the word LUNACY comes from.
Saturday Night, Full Moon, normal people become LUNATICS!
They do and say things that are so out of character, come to think of it, I proposed twice on a full moon.
See what I mean!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 02:49:55 pm »
Yep - it is always a blast to do the full moon thing in the er.  You would just be amazed.  I also think it maybe the new moon also - it can get pretty weird then too