Author Topic: First project  (Read 5080 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
First project
« on: September 28, 2005, 10:16:09 am »
Well, Niki and I did our first Therapy Dog project today.  I had called a local convelsant hospital and told them I wanted to do a walkthrough to see how my dog would react in the wings of the hospital.  She had her therapy dog cape on and I was goofing around in town because I thought it would be a quick walkthrough so I did not need to be right on time.  So I got there late and low and behold, the volunteer worker had about 20 people in wheelchairs waiting for us.  I was completely unprepared for a show but pulled it off anyway.  They had helium balloons ready but no proper weights so they decided to fill those plastic hospital gloves with warm water and tie them to the end of balloons that they had filled with helium. Well Niki looked at those gloves with warm water and said "what do I do with these".  It was really funny.  But all in all everybody loved the show we put on with her training.  My daughter-in-law who is a LVN nurse and knits is going to knit lap blankets for people in wheelchairs and I will train Niki to take them to people and put them in their laps, what a fun project for the winter.  I am really happy about what we have for the future and a lot of fun.
Peggy

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: First project
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:30:55 am »
You are AWESOME!
You will go to heaven, and your great dog will be there with you.
I posted to a thread about what brought me to Fresno, and the impact my dog has had on my life.
The impact of a loving animal on an individuals life, regardless of their circumstances is tremendous.
You and Niki have just gone to the top of my list of Wonderful Friends.
Thanks.
J & T
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:10:22 am »
Congrats!  What a wonderful day you had!  I can't wait for Cowboy to be well enough for us to do it as well!  What kind of a show did you do?  Does Niki do tricks???

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:44:06 am »
Well, she has so many tricks that I cannot list them all but the one she is so famous for is when we had our video stores in Clovis, Ca. she made change out of the cash register.  She was behind the counter with her paws up waiting for customers to come in.  When they gave her money (which I taught her was VERY good) she would but it into the register and then proceed to give them their change.  However, if they gave her a $5  bill then she would put it into the register and give them $20 bill for their change.  She would slide it across the counter with a smile because they loved it.  People were lined up.  I wonder why we went out of business.   :-\
Peggy

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:47:19 am »
She was just being kind!  What an incredibly smart girl!  How did you train her to do such an amazing thing??

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:06:28 pm »
Oh how cool!...Make sure we get lots of stories of Niki spreading smiles!