Author Topic: Question for Saint owners  (Read 12540 times)

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Saint owners
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 07:00:05 pm »
Our 5 year old Saint Harley is awesome. We take him to nursing homes and hospitals to visit with the elderly and children. He is always a big hit.

We always took him to dog parks when he was a pup and he was always around other dogs, but for some reason he became dog aggressive when he was about 2 years old. Not all dogs, he like to pick on the weaker dogs, or when he hears other dogs getting into a fight he would run over and get in the middle of it. Because of his size, this scared a lot of people, including myself, so we no longer take him to the dog park. He has NEVER shown any agression to people though. He is the biggest sweetest mush mush around.

Stacie

Offline lindar5928

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 07:36:38 pm »
My saint, Barney is 8 months old. He is still a puppy - thinking that the world is his playgroud. He is such a sweetie. He does not realize that at 122 pounds he is a big guy. When he sees little dogs or kids he goes straight down to the floor to get face-to-face. He expects a lot of attention and only goes outside to do his business unless we go out with him. We have had many dogs and Barney is by far the best dog we ever owned. Yes he drools, and waits for us to wipe his face after drinking and eating. He has completed puppy and basic obedience training. Two trainers have suggested we continue for Canine Good Citizen training.

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 01:34:18 pm »
Our family had a Saint name Clyde for 10 years. He grew up with my youngest son Tyler. He was the best babysitter. Small children were his best friends. For a dog so big (185LB) Clyde was the gentlest giant. Wherever Tyler was Clyde was always close by. Sadly he crossed the bridge last summer.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 09:11:38 am »
My Saint Dolly is very clumsy, to describe her in one word! But she is sooo loving. She is very sensitive as well. We have a hard-headed Alaskan Malamute, who takes a light slap to get her to stop doing something bad. But Dolly, if you look at her wrong, she will sulk with her head down and walk away sadly. Saints are most importantly, though, big teddy bears who are gentle and love kids especially. And mine drools only when she drinks! So the Beethoven movie wasn't exactly right!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 02:13:32 pm »
My Maxwell is going on two now and his personality is changing a bit.  He is not aloof when it comes to strangers.  The moment someone comes in the house he is on them right away.  He really wants to be petted by everyone and is actually getting a little mouthy.  He mouths peoples hands but never bites but people who don't know him gets scared that he'll bite!!  It's really becoming a problem.  I'm not sure on how to get him to stop mouthing. 

Offline nitewarrior

• Gnawer
  • Abby Road
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 09:47:53 am »
Abby is the most layed back big lug.  Everyone is her friend.  She is a therapy dog and visits Assisted living facility's and the elementary scholl for the Read to Rover program. I would never hesitate on getting another gentle giant.

Offline lindar5928

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 01:54:58 pm »
My sweet and goofy Saint, Barney, just turned one year old. He is the sweetest and smartest dog we have ever owned. He loves everyone and wants to play with every dog he meets. If a dog growls at he, he simply walks away. When seeing little dogs or little children, he immediately lays down to be at their level. He even lets little dogs play with him like he is a trampoline. Barney likes a lot of attention and can be truely called a velcro dog. He's always at our sid - sometimes laying beside us, sometimes laying on our feet and sometimes leaning on us.
Does he drool? Yup! After he eats or drinks water, we wipe his mouth with a slobber towel - they're all over the house - so we don't have any real issues with it.
Does he shed? - Yup - He is a rough coat so I wish I could just gather up all of the spare fur and make a virtual puppy (no feeding or walking necessary) and become a millionaire.
Would I ever give this guy up? Not in my lifetime.
But we did take him to puppy school and obedience training. Also we take him out often for new experiences so he can relate to new sights, smells and sounds.
Hope this gives you a little taste of the benefits of owning a real saint

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 02:26:07 pm »
I adopted two Saints from our local SPCA two years ago, mostly based on my previous experience with Saints, as well as their stellar reputation.  These Saints were partnered before being surrendered (at investigator recommendation).  Individually, I could not ask for better dogs.  They're sweet, goofy, happy, and mindful.  They are incredibly eager to please and want only to be near us.  They love other people and ADORE children - both those they know and complete strangers.  Together, they pack and can be aggressive - mostly to other dogs.  This is only an issue because my male is 170lbs and if I have both of them, I can't hold them well enough to correct them.  I'm looking for professional help with this issue, and am confident with the right help, I'll have two perfect dogs.  If you get a Saint puppy, you can be confident of their being as the breed describes, or at least close.  But if you adopt/rescue, I would prepare to do a little work.  Either way, they're  well worth it. Good luck!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)