Author Topic: how does 1 catch bordetella/kennel cough w/o being kenneled?  (Read 4674 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
how does 1 catch bordetella/kennel cough w/o being kenneled?
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:31:06 pm »
cuz I think Nikki has it... man.. she's just like.. the chronically sick kid you always fear...

of course, it really started last Friday or so (whooping hair-ball-gaggin' coughs), and then she was due for her second round of vac's on Sunday, which included nasal bordetella, which i THINK made her kennel cough even worse...

so now we're off to get some Robotussin DM.. ugh..   :-\

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: how does 1 catch bordetella/kennel cough w/o being kenneled?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:36:45 pm »
Summer had Kennel Cough last week.  She probably got it at the dog park.  She was on Doxocylin (sp?) for a week, which helped.  They say you don't need to put them on antibiotiics, that they get over it on their own, but you also have to be careful it doesn't progress into something worse.  Also you need to be careful that it's not somthing like the flu that is going around now that is frequently misdiagnosed as kennel cough.

As per the vaccination, there are so many strains of bordatella around that the vaccination does very little to prevent it.  My dog was vaccinated for it and she got it.  Many people no longer think it is worthwhile to vaccinate for it.  (but then I am in the anti-vaccination camp ;D)

Hope she feels better soon.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:43 pm »
Argggh, kennel cough.... Both of my baby's have had it before. They can get it from any dog that is infected. They don't have to be in a kennel to get it. I don't vaccinate for KC anymore either. Both of mine were vaccinated for it when they came down with it. It is true that there are so many strains of it and the vaccine doesn't cover all of the strains. I just keep a good ear out in the dog community and when I hear that KC is making its rounds we take time off from our normal ventures and head off to secluded areas away from other dogs. Hope your pup feels well soon!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 11:41:08 pm »
Yep, kennel cough is airborne so really it is highly contagious. I think they must call it kennel cough because in a kennel atmosphere if it got loose, everyone in the kennel would probably get it!! When they get meds for it, the meds pretty much just treat the symptoms, because it is a virus that just has to run its course before the dog gets better. I imagine that dogs with a low immunity probably pick up something like KC really easily.
Hope Nikki is feeling better soon! I can relate, I was that chronically sick kid too!!

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 12:43:11 am »
I hope Nikki is feeling better soon- I can sympathize!  I've got a 13 week old Leonberger with some serious cough/mucous issues going on right now.  But I heard that kennel cough is a dry unproductive cough only - is Niki producing any mucous from her nose or eyes? 

I'm supplementing my guy with 1000mg Vitamin C/day and keeping him away from other dogs outside.  He's also on antibiotics (even though kennel cough is a virus), but hopefully those antibiotics will help with his discharge.

....as I'm writing this CNN is doing a spot on the new Canine Virus/Flu going around and they are saying the new flu has symptoms that mimic kennel cough but with some runny nose stuff too from a secondary bacterial infection.  At least it's not as lethal as initial reports suggested. 

Sounds like you are taking good care of your girl, I hope she's back to normal soon.  How old is she?

Offline Fly-Fast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 12:47:31 am »
Did you go to the Dog Festival in Central Park this past weekend?  I saw a few big dogs, but no saints.  :(

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:26:37 am »
she's coming up on 8 months now.. it's mostly dry cough, tho i did detect very slight nasal discharge yesterday nite. maybe she's got that canine flu... yes, let me be the hypochondriac tonite so i can worry myself sick again...   :-[ :-[

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 06:37:23 am »
I'm sure Nikki will be fine.  At 8 months she's had her vaccinations and should have a healthy immune system - she'll come out of it back to prime form!  Does the cough syrup help a little?  Or at least allow her to get some sleep?  (I freaked myself out by constantly putting little Bogard's symptoms in the internet and seeing what I would get...and of course, a million terrible things came up!)   Hang in there!!