Author Topic: Aliens, Hotel Fires and Wading Pools  (Read 5558 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Aliens, Hotel Fires and Wading Pools
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:46:47 am »
Some random pictures from the past couple weeks....

Picture #1 - The recent missile launch as seen by folks in San Diego.  We were in the grocery store when this happened and all the 16-year old baggers and checkers thought it was Armegeddon.  One of them came back into the store and said "It's the end of the world..", only half kidding.  I turned to the lady in line in front of me and indicated our groceries and said "You know, these will all be free once the looting starts..."  By the time we got outside, this is what it looked like.  I spent the rest of the night certain that aliens were coming to probe me....

Picture #2 -  a hotel fire from my recent business trip to San Francisco.  The first night we were there, my colleague Greg and I took a walk.  Despite our hotel being right in the middle of Union Square, we managed to go in the one direction that took us to a seedy neighborhood.  We happened upon a hotel fire (well, we didn't really HAPPEN...  there were a lot of sirens coming our way, so we knew something was up).  Fortunately, it was just a little one, and I don't think anyone was hurt...

Picture #3 and Picture #4 - the view down from my room on the 11th floor of our hotel, and the view up from the lobby.  Both, thankfully, not on fire.  My co-worker on the same floor enjoyed the fact that my fear of heights caused me to slink along the hallway to my room, hugging the wall as if the hall was only a foot wide rather than several, and I might topple over the edge...  (I also have an irrational fear of this one window in our office that I am always afraid I am going to trip and fall out of...)

Picture #5 - my co-workers and I at our tradeshow booth, round about the time we got bored enough to start taking pictures of ourselves.  I look (as I usually do) like one of the librarians from The Far Side cartoon, Beth looks hungover, and Greg looks insane.  Kinda like Howdy Doody on crack.

Pictures #6, and #7 - Ranger and Gwen in their super-fancy "Finding Nemo" wading pool.  Doesn't the first picture look like it should have the caption "Earth's dogs were the first ones to know that the aliens had arrived..."?  Ranger loved the whole wading pool experience.  Gwen was kinda "meh" about the whole thing.  Please notice the $50 piece of Astroturf that we had to purchase so that the dogs would not slip on the wet patio and kill themselves, thereby negating the whole "cheapness" of the $6 wading pool...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:49:41 am by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens, Hotel Fires and Wading Pools
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:24:41 am »
bumping cause I feel neglected....   ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 04:26:59 am »
I'm sorry grumpy! I was trying to catch up on what I missed since yesterday and haven't got to your post yet. I love the pics of Ranger. Now I finally got to see what his body looks like. Now a personal question. I take it your the redhed. Is that your natural color?

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 04:29:26 am »
Your "cheap" pool area looks great....lol ;)
Great pictures. Ranger looks like he is trying to catch a fish with his paw ;)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:29:39 am »
Oh honey, no!   ;D

That is straight out of the bottle.  (Well, actually I am a semi-natural redhead - but I give it some help).  You can't see it in that picture, but there is some black in there too.  Also from the bottle!   ;)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:33:35 am »
I thought so. I love your red hair! I want red hair like that, but my husband doesn't like it. He will let me get streaks. I'm a stay at home mom, so my hair is the last thing to get done. I'm a brunette.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:40:58 am »
Sweet pics, Bunny!

I love the astroturf idea! hahahaha! You are such a good mommy. And, I totally agree. Your hair ROCKS. My hair is depressing the crap outta me right now. I need a cut so bad, but its the last thing on the budget. I hate being a starving college student sometimes. 'Specially since I'm 28, and I'm just getting back into the starving college student thing. I'm used to having a job and just making the hair appointment when I need it. Now, Mark is controlling the money, and I have to ASK for a haircut! AAAAGH! But, I guess I can't complain too much. The man pays my rent.

I don't understand the first pic...missle launch? huh? Did I miss some major event? See, that's why I shouldn't have to take Finite Mathematics. Cuz it causes me to miss stuff....

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:43:22 am »
There was a missile launch a couple weeks ago (longer?), from Vandenberg Air Force base, and you could see it in the sky in California and Arizona, maybe a few other places....

I only saw the remnants that you see in the picture, but that was spooky enough.... 

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 04:44:25 am »
Were they shooting at something? Or just a test-launch?

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 04:55:04 am »
Were they shooting at something? Or just a test-launch?
"A Minuteman III missile was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base at approximately 7:30 pm Thursday evening.

Authorities said the launch was part of a routine intercontinent al ballistic missile test.

The missile target was 4,800 miles away in the Marshall Islands according to authorities."

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 04:56:22 am »
Wow! That's cool! I like your new avatar.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 04:59:00 am »
Ah, Ok. Thanks. Now I"m on the up and up.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 05:09:51 am »
Ah, Ok. Thanks. Now I"m on the up and up.
Yes, it is important to know these things, otherwise you might think that aliens are coming to eat your face...

Tajsa, Ranger thanks you for the compliment.  Every picture I take of him looks exactly the same!  He always has the same facial expression...  He is not a dog of many moods...

I think you should try the red.  You can always do something that washes out easily, and your hubby might really like it...   ;D

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 06:16:59 am »
Cool pics, Grump.  Boy would I have fun with you on a huge Ferris Wheel.

Hey we need more pics of Gwen.  That's the first time I've ever seen her.

Tina

I guess that depends on what you consider "fun"....   ;D 

I know, I am a bad Gwen mommy.  I love her, but I am partial to my boy...  I guess it is because she was already her daddy's dog when I came into the picture...  But, here are a couple more...

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:45:02 pm »
Yeah, I thought that was what you meant by "fun"!   ;D

That is pretty much how I act on anything that goes up in the air.  At the San Diego Zoo they have one of those sky ride things that takes you from one side of the zoo to the other, the kind where the little car hangs down from the cable.  I spend the entire ride across sitting directly in the middle of the car, gripping the bar in the center for dear life, staring down at the floor so that I can't see how far up we are, and taking deeeeeeep breaths.  If Scott does anything to make the car move, I scream at him.  Last time we went on it, I got so freaked out that I freaked HIM out and now he won't go on it, either!   ;D

I can just see us on the ferris wheel together, both trying to be super cool and make the other one wig out by saying things like "What if we got stuck up here" and "I wonder if you would die if you fell this far", all the time both trying not to pee ourselves, throw up, or start crying...

Marsi