Author Topic: Whiney puppy  (Read 7341 times)

lins_saving_grace

Whiney puppy
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:53:52 am »
I am SOOOO sleepy this morning.  Why??? Well, my little lovey puppy still WHINES all night. If you don't get up she barks. 
She just turned 3 months old and I thought this stage would have passed by now, but no such luck.  I took her out a 3 am this morning for potty and we did...but she was whining by 5 am. 
There are chew toys in her cage and she is tuckered out by bed time...but is apparently a very early riser and quite the morning dog.  She has plenty of room and is well loved before bed.  We've done the coin jar, we've ignored her, we've attended to her, we've done a lot of different things to stop this bad habit.
Any advise on how to get her to stop whining?

lins_saving_grace

Re: Whiney puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:37:54 am »
She slept through the night!!!!  Oh I'm so happy.  She of course woke up at 5:30 this morning though.  But I didn't get the 3am feeding call.   ;D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:12:26 pm »
That is good news!!!! and 5.30 isnt that early lol.... What time does she go to bed??? Mind you, you probably dont want to take any advice from me in the beddie bed time subject. I have all mine in my bed, it is kinda cramped and I often run out of pillows and well blanket a corner is usually what I get. But hey!!!!! no whine lol.....

My husband jokes the other day, when we got the new puppy home, and I said okay, will you take the "in the middle of the night pee" he looked at me and said, ohhhh I dont think I'll hear him from the laundry room (of course knowing my laundry room is used for laundry only oohh yes and feeding the cat on the dryer) I said, " ohhhhh honey you dont have to sleep in the laundry room, I am sure you will get some kind of room in the bed too" Sooo I guess my advice wont suit all of you lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 01:28:57 pm »
I make Grace stay up till 11 or so and tucker her out with play and running.  That seemed to do the trick.  According to the breeder, she is a HIGH energy dog and since we've gotten her hasn't slept a whole lot like other puppies.   We call her the minnie Rott since she hasn't grown as fast as our other Rott did.  Of course, Lady slept more often.  She just doesn't think she needs the sleep I guess. 
I had a bed full once.  It was me, my now exhusband, Missy (the now late terrier), the giant Char-Pei we had, and a cat.  It got crowded. 
My second husband would kill me if I let the puppies sleep in bed with us.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
Send him to the laundry room lol......

It does get crowded, but I guess I am just so used to it, so if they are not all there I get kinda lonely. Hubby did say something about private time, hmmmm well he did knew I was a nut when he married me lol

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 07:59:39 am »
and it's perfect in the winter when it's so cold.  Missy used to snuggle hard in bed.  She loved to spoon her mama.  In her golden years she didn't like it so much cuz she got too hot.  Lady and Grace I'm afraid would spend way too much time playing and tugging on mama's long hair and we'd never sleep.  They're good couch cuddlers sometimes though.
All of us animal lovers are nuts to a point.

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:15:23 am »
Our bed is private domain by hubby's royal decree, but our doberman Raven sleeps with my son, Merlin our dane sleeps on the couch alone since he does not like to be touched when he sleeps, and doesn't like the movement of the waterbeds, and Strider our dane/wolfhound pup sleeps in his crate. He was by far the easiest of our dogs to crate train so far with a minimum of whining and howling during the night. He is firmly on a 5:30am wake up schedule though, and you aren't allowed to sleep in even on weekends, nor will he go back to bed after that. Someone has to stay up and keep an eye on him. It's a sacrifice we make for getting an entire night sleep I guess.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 12:18:50 pm »
You have a point about the sacrifice.  It's all worth it too. 

Offline Terrasage

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Noah's Wife
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 01:23:58 pm »
Went through the same thing with our baby too;  we always ignored the whining and crying and SOMETIMES let William out ONLY if he was quiet.  Now (at 15 weeks)  he puts himself (I kid you not) down for NAPS and also to bed for the night!!  It cracks me up and heaven knows we are grateful!
Under the spell of Sage the Border Collie, Terra the Afghan Hound, Christine the Evil Housecat and Smoky the African Timneh Grey Parrot and now Sweet William the Newf, born 01/10/05! Support the NCA Health Challenge by shopping at The Critter Cafe: http://www.cafepress.com/crittercafe

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:42:24 pm »
Oh yeah...Grace and Lady both know when the TV goes off they need to go to "bed".  They like bed and bed time.  Grace just whines when she thinks she's been in there too long.  She's only 13 weeks old so I figure we might be at the end of it soon.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 12:18:58 am »
and it's perfect in the winter when it's so cold.  Missy used to snuggle hard in bed.  She loved to spoon her mama.  In her golden years she didn't like it so much cuz she got too hot.  Lady and Grace I'm afraid would spend way too much time playing and tugging on mama's long hair and we'd never sleep.  They're good couch cuddlers sometimes though.
All of us animal lovers are nuts to a point.

You are right on..... We are nuts, great big giant nuts and I love it ......... What in the world would I do with my time if I didnt have to clean slobbers, try and get the hair off the bed and carpets, wash drooly toys and pick up a ton of toys from the floor. The best part is when you stand on a ladder cleaning your ceiling from slobbers (okay now I am lying, that is NOT fun, I am 5'2" and the ceiling is way way way up there)

Marit

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 12:17:44 pm »
LOL That almost sounds like having kids in the house. By the way, the Magic Eraser by (I think by Mr Clean) works wonders on those stubborn wall and ceiling slobbers.
Stella