Author Topic: Frontline & Heartgard....How many months a year?  (Read 16704 times)

Nicole

Re: Frontline & Heartgard....How many months a year?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:31:57 am »
So, I've been having a HECK of a time with fleas. ALL FOUR of the animals (cats and dog) are on Frontline every stinkin' month, and they ALL have fleas? What gives? I've sprayed, dusted, vacuumed, brushed....the y never miss a dose...I don't get it?

Anyone have good luck with any other products?

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 12:32:06 am »
I live in a woodsy area in Kentucky, my dogs have always used frontline.  I have never seen a flea on any of them. 
Karen

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 12:39:02 am »
So, I've been having a HECK of a time with fleas. ALL FOUR of the animals (cats and dog) are on Frontline every stinkin' month, and they ALL have fleas? What gives? I've sprayed, dusted, vacuumed, brushed....the y never miss a dose...I don't get it?

Anyone have good luck with any other products?

Hey Nicole, try switching to Advantage for a few months. I have heard that fleas can develop a resistance if you use the same flea product every month. Scary, huh???
Hmmm... I'm thinking back when I used Frontline on my huskies it never worked on them as well as Advantage... not sure why.

DOWN WITH FLEAS!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:39:52 am by doghealer »

Nicole

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 12:40:39 am »
Ok. I've been wondering about that resistance thing, too. I just can't believe the fleas! Its crazy. I live in an urban environment (not alot of trees or whatever) and its NW Indiana..not like, the deep south or anything. Its NUTS.

I HATE FLEAS.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 02:59:35 am »
Hey Nicole, try switching to Advantage for a few months. I have heard that fleas can develop a resistance if you use the same flea product every month. Scary, huh???
Hmmm... I'm thinking back when I used Frontline on my huskies it never worked on them as well as Advantage... not sure why.

DOWN WITH FLEAS!!!!!

Nicole I would talk with your vet before using advantage. I've heard and my vet even told me that advantage can kill cats if your cat grooms your dog.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 03:21:28 am »
Nicole I would talk with your vet before using advantage. I've heard and my vet even told me that advantage can kill cats if your cat grooms your dog.

That is a scary thought!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 03:50:25 am »
We do heartgaurd and frontline yearround. Heartgaurd because it's not worth the risk to us to save $10 a month and it can't harm her... and frontline, because Dan has tick-o-phobia (not a real term) and so he insists on having it even in the winter
RIP former BPO

Anakalia

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 05:47:12 am »
Hey Gyps!! I don't use Frontline or Heartguard anymore, but when I did I quite using them in October and started back up in April.  Your puppers will be fine if you stop in the winter months.  Can you talk to your vet about using a generic Heartgaurd.  I talked with my vet, and I can't remember the name of it but it's a generic form and cost a lot less. 

Andi

Offline jordan2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 02:06:31 am »
I would never miss a month of medication under any circumstances!!!

What's a few bucks compared to the possibility of my losing my Springer Spaniel? I lost one to heartworms many years ago and I still suffer greatly over it, even though I know I could never suffer as much as she did in the end.  Believe me in that you never want to see the end of that. You will never be the same.

I live in Florida but even if I lived elsewhere, I would never miss a month. I have also read that heartworm medication must be adminstered EVERY month in order for it to be effective. I don't know if that is true or just some hype to sell more of the stuff, but, I, for one, will take no chances. 

I use Bayer which is an all in one. I get it from a place in Australia and time my orders so that delivery is free. They are friendly, helpful people.

http://www.pets-megastore.com/

It's the least expensive place I have found. Make sure you put the hyphen between pets and megatore or you will get something entirely different.

It is true that fleas can develop an immunity to some medications, especiallly here in Florida, but I have't experienced that yet with Bayer. If I do, then I will switch.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 02:14:01 am by jordan2 »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 02:25:33 am »
I live in Michigan and since Heartgard works 30 days backwards I play it by weather conditions.
 I usually look at starting on May 1st and give the last one on November 1st. UNLESS there is still snow on the ground here in April then I delay the first pill. I figure why medicate if not needed.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2005, 05:11:00 am »
A coworker adopted a rescue dog from a southern state (can't remember which one)
His dog was fine for the first 6 months then she developed heartworm. 
He was given grief by the adoption agency because they give heartguard and frontline year round.  In Maine that is unheard of.   We do at most 6 months a year.
Luckily after a sedentary 3 months and treatment she is back to her cute, lively self.

Check with your vet on what is appropriate for your location.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 11:08:48 am »
I have my dogs checked for heartworm 2ce a year when they are at the vet.  He will do a blood sample and microscope check on them for $1 per dog! I have them on Heartguard only between May and October (skeeter season here)and,--now dont hate me--my dogs dont have fleas.  None.  I have an outside dog and 5 insid/outside dogs (mostly inside unless it's nice weather) and none of them have any fleas!  I've honestly only found one or two on my Rat Terrier after she played w/ another dog, but my Dobies are totally flealess.  Maybe it's the location, I dont know.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 08:16:04 pm »
I'm in Alabama, so it's year round for both for all my boys, especially the Heartguard (I actually use the generic tri-guard, but it's essentially the same stuff, just not quite as 'treat-like' in form).  I've been having the same problem with the Frontline that has been mentioned earlier... It used to work like a champ but has stopped working for more than a week, if that long, over the last year.  I have been using Adams flea mist for about 9 months now, which works well enough, but is a pain because you have to put it on every week (more if they get wet), and the boys fight it like you are killing them when you apply it.  I tried the frontline again last month and it still isn't keeping the fleas at bay.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 01:40:09 am »
Just curious but are you using the regular Frontline, or the Frontline plus?  I have also heard that there have been some cases of fake frontline, (esp on ebay) where it is nothing but vegetable oil, but no idea if that is true.

Like Nohe'snot... said in Alabama also, and I would not under any circumstances miss a month of heartworm protection here.  You can pretty much count on any unprotected dog developing heartworms in the swampland I live in.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2005, 12:56:01 pm »
Just curious but are you using the regular Frontline, or the Frontline plus?  I have also heard that there have been some cases of fake frontline, (esp on ebay) where it is nothing but vegetable oil, but no idea if that is true.

Been using the Frontline Plus.  Used to get it from the vet, but now getting it from the feedstore.  in between I was getting it from a local hardware store.  Tried several outlets thinking maybe I'd gotten hold of a bad or old batch.  Its really frustrating, since I'd gotten used to putting the stuff on them once a month and not woryying with fleas on them or in the house again.  :(
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)