Author Topic: BPO, help me decide what to charge for childcare  (Read 3403 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
BPO, help me decide what to charge for childcare
« on: October 05, 2005, 03:32:51 am »
BPO, help me.

I work at an elementary school and am working on getting an afterschool job providing in-home childcare to one of the families at my school. The problem is, I don't know what to charge. I don't want to overcharge and have them think I am ripping them off, but I don't want to undercharge and screw myself.

So you BPOers who have kids, tell me, what would you pay? I would be bringing their daughter home after school and watching her 2:30-5:30. What do you think that should cost? :)

Thanks
RIP former BPO

Kiahpyr

Re: BPO, help me decide what to charge for childcare
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:48:33 am »
I know around here peolple charge any where from $6-$10 an hour per kid. That seems really high to me though. What are the kids ages? It could depends on how well you know them and how easy it is for you. I stay at home and we never go out. If we do go out we trade time with some friends who also have kids or my aunt watches my daughter for free. I try to pay her, but she refuses to take anything.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 05:26:17 am »
Im not sure what it should be there. I have 3 kids 6,7 & 3. I usually pay about 8$/Hr. Depending on when. How far do you have to go to get her? Id charge for gas too, if you gas is at $1.19 Litre like ours.
Not sure if that helps.  :-\
Connie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 05:28:15 am »
I dont think 10.00 i s too high...remembe r, you are going to them to watch their precious children.  Watching other peoples children isnt easy...because everyone has a set way in their life..

How many hours after school will u be with them

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 05:29:37 am »
Well around here daycare cost $3/hour per child meals included.  I used to do in-home child care and charged $2.75/hour meals included.  I live in Iowa though so depending on where you are you may charge more.  Is there anyway you can call around to daycares and ask for their hourly charges?  Just and idea.

Andi

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 05:43:25 am »
My daughter is in part day preschool for 21/2 hours a day and I pay $130.00 a month (that does not include any meals or transportation though)...I am in Las Vegas though.  I would call some child care centers in your area  and find out what the hourly rates are and go by that. ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 05:46:28 am »
I JUST HAD THIS DISCUSSION!

My friend Ken is going to be providing child and DOG gap care for his neighbor, who has a 7 year old and a brand new 7 week old puppy. 

Southern California rate:  $125/week for the child, including dinner.  $50/week for the dog until it is house trained, then $25/week, food provided.  3-6 every afternoon.  More than 30 minutes late, $10 per half hour.  (He has a social life, you know??)

One thing:  he insisted that the mom provided him an emergency medical form--if something should happen while your driving home, or god forbid while you're watching her, you need to be able to give the hospital permission to take care of her till the mom arrives.   You should be able to get one of those forms at your school; teachers have to have them all the time for field trips. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 05:57:16 am »
I pay per Month; easier that way, I don't have to try and remember every Friday or Monday if I've paid the sitter. My boys only attend in the morning, on school days, for about an hour and a half. I have to pay $10.00 per day, per child. If they do not attend school, and have to stay all day at daycare, I pay $20.00 per. This includes any meals except breakfast.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 09:59:17 am »
Well around here daycare cost $3/hour per child meals included.  I used to do in-home child care and charged $2.75/hour meals included.  I live in Iowa though so depending on where you are you may charge more.  Is there anyway you can call around to daycares and ask for their hourly charges?  Just and idea.

Andi
Jesus!...Will you please come & sit for my kids?..lol..Around here you can't get a high school kid to sit 2 kids for under 5 bucks an hour!!...Thankfully I don't use sitters!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 10:17:22 am »
In North Florida it was $5/hr  per child at the school, that was back in 1998...., they provided drinks, you snacks.  I would call some of the better private schools in your area and ask there fees for tuition and afterschool care. I know you don't care about tuition, but they may not give you the info if you only request aftercare fees.
I believe that would give you an idea of a fair fee, and justification to the parents for the charge. Your home will be a safer environment than the school hands down.

That's my Two cents for the night!
Deena