Author Topic: Puppies Arrived - Joy and Sadness  (Read 9058 times)

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Puppies Arrived - Joy and Sadness
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:58 pm »
I want to thank everyone for the incredible information about the birthing process.  It means the world to me.

Molly had her pups Wed morning, starting around 3 AM.    Sadly, only the first four survived.

Molly, herself, didn't seem to have a difficult time.  She was given some vanilla ice cream - and it seemed to stabilize her blood sugar - so no shakes.  And my daughter arrived the day before - so I was worrying needlessly about that.

This was the first time I attended a birth and it was bittersweet.  Our regular vet was gone on vacation, but we had the number of a stand-by vet and we gave her a call when Molly first went into labor.  Nice gal, young and didnt' mind being roused in the wee hours at all. 

I had the job of holding the baby to her momma for licking while my daughter took care of the cord.  The first one totally shocked me - the mess that arrived with the pup, but just helping out was fantastic.

When the fifth pup came out - my daughter cursed.  I couldn't figure out why - but the sack it was in - was a little different, kind of crinkly looking.  She worked on the puppy for a couple of minutes and told me it was no use.  I wanted to try longer - so she handed the little girl to me.  I rubbed, used the aspirator and did the 'puppy swing' until my daughter told me to quit - that it had been over five minutes without any air and there was no real chance anymore.  We had a physicians stethoscope - it was silent.  I had the hardest time stopping my efforts.  Part of me knew I had to stop - but another part of me wanted a miracle.  I haven't cried so much in a long time. 

The vet on the phone was not encouraging anymore.  She told us we needed to get the other puppies out.  We were instructed to walk Molly outside to try to get her to deliver them.  We did and she delivered the next one in about fifteen minutes - but the same thing happened, although with this baby - my daughter suggested I not work on it as long - its tongue and feet were white - a bad sign I guess.  After that, Molly relaxed, laid down and fell asleep while her four precious babies were nursing.   Her breathing slowed and she rested peacefully.  The vet told us she was done.  That wasn't quite the case.  About four hours later, after Molly had gone out to the restroom she returned only to start panting again.  One last stillborn pup arrived almost immediately.

The vet didn't have a good explanation for the events.  The sacks on the last three pups slipped - but why?  Her labor was not too intense.  I just don't get it.

Molly will be spayed very soon.  This was her last litter.  She is a wonderful mum, so tender and caring for her babies, but this is not going to happen again. 

I'll post some pics of the babies when I get a chance.  They are beautiful. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Puppies Arrived - Joy and Sadness
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 09:12:03 pm »
I am very sorry for you loss. I am very happy for you and the four bundles of joy you have to take care of.  From what I have read it is a 24/7 job for about 8/10 weeks. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:58 pm »
I'm so sorry you lost some puppies.  I had a similar situation happen to me when I worked at the vet clinic.  A golden retreiver came in for an emergency c-section and when the vet handed me the puppy I did everything right but she had warned me the pups didn't look good.  She kept saying over and over "This isn't good, not good".  I worked on that pup for at least 5 min, and she kept telling me to put it down there was no use.  I felt like such a failure, but truth was the pups were gone before even being delivered.  It's not your fault some of the pups were lost.  You have to be grateful for the ones that are thriving!  Congrats on the pups, the miracle of life is amazing isn't it?
 :)

Andi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:02:56 pm »
I am so sorry that you had to experience loss with the birth. I know Molly would  have been great with all the pups had they survived. On the other hand, only having four pups gives her more time with each one. They will be so loved and well cared for by both Molly and yourself. I can't wait to see the pics of the babies. Congratulation s on the pups!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:07:11 pm »
So sorry to hear about losing those puppies.  :(  I'm glad to hear that you still have Molly and the 4 surving pups.  Give momma and the babies some lovins from us.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 02:31:47 am »
So sorry to hear that not all the pups survived.  But its good to hear that Molly is such a great mother.  The surviving pups will be well taken care of.

Be sure and keep us updated with pics.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 03:44:08 am »
I am so sorry to hear about the pups that have already passed. I know that it would be absolutely heartbreaking if that happened to me so I can only imagine what you are going through.

I hope that you can turn your grief for them into extra love for the ones that survived. I am sure they are wonderful pups and the momma is a great girl. Please, please post a million pics of them - Saint puppies are the cutest thing on the entire earth.
RIP former BPO

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 04:18:07 am »
What a bittersweet day for you!...I am sorry for your losses :'( & estatic about the pups that were able to stay here with us! :)

henrysmomma

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 06:25:53 am »
I am so sorry about your loss  :'(....When my sister gave birth her baby was still born too, so I can kind of imagine how you must feel... On the brighter side though, at least there are living pups and they will bring you much joy and great memories.  ;) Good luck and if you need anything, please feel free to ask.

;)

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 08:43:22 am »
Sorry about your loss. It has to Rain before you can appreciate the Sun.
The puppies will help dry your tears.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:03:55 am »
Congrads on new puppys cant wait to see pictures of them. I am sorry for the others that didnt survive. You did a wonderful job and did your best. They are with god now and are just wonderful healthy and happy.

I know the mircle of birthing puppies, we had a sheltie that had 7 puppies and thank god they were all healthy and survived. It was great expirence and I enjoyed it even thought the gross mess that comes with it.

Nothing is sweeter than a cold wet nose and puppy breath. Yes please get your momma dog checked out and i will say alittle prayer for you and your furbabies. god bless
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 09:53:04 am »
We Hope All is good with the four,left it is funny my Baby is a molly to and she is from a litter of 14 and only 4 lived!!! molly was one!!!so my Blue eye Big 16 week 48 pound,baby,she is the sweat's thing,you would love her!!! Blue eye or not but that is what make's my molly so different and i would not trade her for the world!!!!l,m,l p,s you might need to give suppulment milk to the puppies see how they do? with molly she did it helped, hope all is good let me know ,o,k,m,l,!!looking forward to seeing your pups!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline Fly-Fast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 10:06:13 am »
Wow, sorry to hear that happened.   :-\

But, on a happier note, any chance you could post LOTS OF PICS STAT!!!!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 10:15:01 am »
Sure i would to better,go to waffles717@yahoo.com you can see a lot of pic but i will post them for here to,try to get some sleep!!love marylee!!!molly&maggie
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

smohr

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 10:42:02 am »
I am so sorry about the puppies that didn't make it, but I love hearing about the arrival of new puppies.  I can't wait to see their cute little faces.