Author Topic: My beloved Caucasians  (Read 16426 times)

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Looove those BIG furballs
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
My beloved Caucasians
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:20:10 pm »
Hello, just wondering if anyone would like to talk about Caucasian Ovcharkas - my all time favorite breed of friends  ::).

Here are some of my babies.

BabsT

Re: My beloved Caucasians
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:40:10 pm »
Hey, I know you  :)  Welcome aboard!!!!

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 07:40:27 pm »
Hey, I know you :) Welcome aboard!!!!

Thanks, feels nice here. I know you too. :)

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 08:27:21 pm »
They are SO beautiful. I'm interested in learning more about them as well. I've always thought the breed was so majestic and they striked my interest! Great pics, thanks so much for sharing!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 08:40:14 pm »
They are absolutely gorgeous!! I love Caucasians!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:56:08 pm »
There is so much to tell! It would be easier if you ask questions. Otherwise, I can type miles and miles of messages. LOL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:34:42 pm »
They are such awesome looking dogs & look at all of them that live with you!!!...That looks like bliss to me!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:40:55 pm »
Great pics.  I still love that one of them all on their mats.  Too cute.

I have only heard of Caucasians w/i the last couple of months, but fell in love w/them immediately.   :D  They have got to be one of the most beautiful dog breeds I have ever seen.  I still don't know as much as I would like, but would love to learn more about them.    :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 10:48:30 pm »
Are they livestock guard dogs?   What are their personalities like?   Are they territorial?  How do they do in the summer with all that fur?  How big are they a maturity? 

Obviously, I'm really curious about them as well!  They really are magnificent!

BabsT

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 11:48:13 pm »
I will leave Yelena to answer those because my girl is on 18wk LOL

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:00:48 am »
Caucasian Ovcharka is an ancient breed of dogs (2000 - 4000 years old estimated) and originally was used to guard lifestock. They are very territorial, suspisious of strangers, naturally aggressive towards strange dogs (unless they grew up together), naturally bond with lifestock and family.
Here is some information about them as well as an example of their size at maturity.
http://www.volkodav.info/caucasian_shepherd.htm
Modern Caucasian is a VERY large powerful dog, size varies greatly by lines. Females 90 - 180lb, males 130 - 250 lb.

Personalities are different, but usually - loving anf affectionate with family and friends (females are more emotional than males), low level of activity (my friend characterized them as "honey, kill them fast and come back to bed"), enormos bursts of energy if called to defend - it is amasing and unbeliavable to see. Tolerant of strangers when off property, very gentle with babies (human or animal kind) - if my home gets attacked by a bunch of two year olds, they will be having a party when I return home unharmed, but boy, if adults come close to the house ...

Thick fur actually helps them tolerate hot weather - it acts as a shield. Dogs don't sweat through the skin (just through panting). If it is exceptionally hot - they dig a hole in a ground until they find moist cool soil and lay down in it to cool off. I leave them kiddie pools full of water in the summer - they love to lounge in them on a hot day.
In natural area on mountain terrain temperature changes rather dramatically - can be 90 in the day time and 20 at night (you all seen on TV people skiing in the mountains in their bathing suits ), so this thick coat is a great protection for both extremes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:04:08 am by YelenaLevitina »

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 12:16:30 am »
 naturally aggressive towards strange dogs
###################
i would hope anyone thinking of getting one of this breed stamps this into their memory,
no dog parks loose offleash with intact animals.
not many people have common sense that are looking for huge impressive animals, to many, it is a perstige or attention getter.
until
someone or something is hurt and hurt bad.
i would also hope that proper guidance and training is given people and they own up to the responsibility of owning a breed such as this.
i am curious
why the huge range in sizes?
most breeds do not have such variance.
i would prefer to stay away from the extra huge size.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline YelenaLevitina

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Caucasian Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 01:17:23 am »
While they are young they need to be socialized extensively, and introduced to every situation they can possible end up in later in life. This is to make the dog calm, tolerant of new places and controllable.

Most of mine grew up in a local dog park. The "regulars" in there can still meet and play off leash. But you are absolutely correct - it is a HUGE responsibility to live with one of these dogs, they are sertainly not toys or pets.

The range in sizes ... Caucasian Ovcharka is not just a single breed. It is a breed group. Mountain regions of Caucasus were pretty isolated from each other because of impossible terrain. So each region developed and maintained the dogs to their liking and using available breeding stock. They are very different looking - steppe versions are dryer and taller, mountain versions have more mass to fight bigger predators and keep warm at night... there is even a legend that the color of sheep in the flock dictated selection of dogs left in a litter - they had to blend in so predators two- or four-legged will not know that dogs are on duty (COs do not have their own dog smell, like german shepherds forr an example - they smell like whatever they live in). Supposedly, this is why pure white Caucasians are so rare - white sheep was very expensive and luxirious, and not too many people had them. But one thing that unite all of them is the intelligence, working ability, strong character, suspition of strangers, devotion to family and flock, ability to make their own decisions depending on situation, ability to live on a very minimal food and water amounts, high pain tolerance and so for...

Favorite Russian "version" of Caucasians, written into latest standard is the Georgian Nagazi - large, strong, impressive dogs. But there are others.

Here are pictures of some of my dogs - well socialized wit people and animals.
two year old intact male Arzach - but he is an exception to the rule.

We start early - 8 week old Balue and Nala.

Arzach and young Balou

Balou since then became more protective and do not go off leash in public place any more.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 01:21:28 am »
Very good!
thanx for that!
:)
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 01:33:54 am »
Great pictures!  Those are truly magnificent animals.  I have never seen one in person so I can only imagine how giant they really are.  Are people often afraid when they see them?  I ask because even when I walk Binky now, some people are so skittish-and she's just a little puppy!  Do you allow people to buy your pups just for a pet or do they have to have experience with the breed or need a LGD?  (not that I'm in the market-I wish-just curious!) :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 01:35:18 am by Binky »
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat