Author Topic: 11/12 week old newfie, hyper and nipping??  (Read 16509 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
11/12 week old newfie, hyper and nipping??
« on: October 09, 2005, 07:06:45 am »
hi, i have a newfie puppy who is about 11-12 weeks old.  He is right in the middle.  I love him to pieces and he is absolutely adorable and a sweetheart!  But he does have his moments.  He will be really quiet and sleep and when he wakes up he's running around the house, biting at my legs, and when i get down to play with him he attacks me with bites.  I feel like i've tried everything.  I constantly give him something else to chew on and try to praise him for that, but he usually gets bored and comes right back to my hand to chew on.  Has anybody else had this problem?? or have any advice or suggestions??  I just want to make sure that this gets resolved before he's HUGE! cuase i know that's going to happen pretty soon!  ;D  thanks!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: 11/12 week old newfie, hyper and nipping??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 07:09:20 am »
Do you know what age he was when he left the litter?  If he left too soon, he might not have learned proper socialization and bite inhibition.  There are things you can do to correct this now that will save you trouble in the future.  If you want, PM me and I can try to help.  I'm no expert, but I've been through this before.

Melissa
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

henrysmomma

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 07:12:04 am »
I found what worked with all my dogs is yelping like a puppy whenever they nipped. Thats usually how pups learn what hurts and what doesn't. If the pup persists, give him a time out and ignore him. The pup will learn soon enough that biting ends fun-time.

Rose

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:21:09 am »
did you ask your breeder about this???
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:26:21 am »
We definitely had this problem with our newfie girl Sasha.  We tried about everything too.  She just loved to mouth us!  It got much better after all her sharp little puppy teeth had fallen out and her grown up teeth had come in.  She pretty much stopped by about 22 or 24 weeks.  It was very frustrating though--we did all the "right things" by giving her other things to chew on and trying to teach her "no bite" etc.  They do get it though!  I think the teething is just too much.  Good luck with your pup!  I'm sure it will get better!

Jessica and Sasha

P.S.--We'd love to see puppy photos too!  ;D

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:13:31 am »
hi, i have a newfie puppy who is about 11-12 weeks old.  He is right in the middle.  I love him to pieces and he is absolutely adorable and a sweetheart!  But he does have his moments.  He will be really quiet and sleep and when he wakes up he's running around the house, biting at my legs, and when i get down to play with him he attacks me with bites.  I feel like i've tried everything.  I constantly give him something else to chew on and try to praise him for that, but he usually gets bored and comes right back to my hand to chew on.  Has anybody else had this problem?? or have any advice or suggestions??  I just want to make sure that this gets resolved before he's HUGE! cuase i know that's going to happen pretty soon!  ;D  thanks!

Ok, next time he starts to bite at your ankles or feet or pants legs, instead of playing with him,  I want you to march. Stomp your feet and lift your knees high. He will back off right away, and it works even better if you make direct eye contact and walk right into the puppy when you are doing it, making him back up. Once he starts backing away, smile at him, say good boy, get back, and give him a cookie.

Your puppy can get good play interaction time by retrieving things for you. Use a long line or retractable lead. Have several of the object you want to use to play fetch. Have at LEAST THREE of any object you are going to play fetch with. Play with the pup, tease him with one of the toys, and then toss it a SHORT distance away, and encourage him to go get it. As soon as he turns around with it in his mouth, show him another one just like it. Tease tease, and as soon as he comes to you, and shows interest, toss this one. Momentum is important when beginning this kind of play, and that's why you need several of the same toy. Repeat the second time, tossing the third toy, and then praise the pup up, go collect the toys, and play again.

This puppy needs a designated toy box, and LOTS of approved fun interesting chew toys. Each time he attempts to chew or mouth the wrong thing, interrupt him from doing the undesired behavior, and take him to the toy box where he should find a marvelous toy that has been smeared with a small amount of peanut butter or cheez whiz. PRAISE strongly for getting a toy from the toy box.

Judicial use of tugging games can also be great therapy for mouthy puppies. Tugging games are just fine as long as YOU control them. You keep the tuggy toy. You take out the tuggy toy and begin the game. You control the tug interaction, varying times when the puppy wins the tug game, and when you win.

You end the game by taking the tug toy and putting it away BEFORE the puppy loses interest.

Also do a web search on bite inhibition, there are several good articles out there on how to teach your pup not to mouth.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 08:19:13 pm »
newfoundlands have natural lifesaving instincts to save someone from drowning, it is up to the owners to teach them that on land taking an arm or leg in mouth is bad bad bad
go to katiesbumpers. com and order the newer series of monks of new skete books.
i highly recomend them
than i would go to your breeder for advice and questions.
mine are not allowed to bite pants legs, or put arm in mouth, the only time it is acceptable is when i am in water and they want to haul me to shore.
puppies naturally test everything with their mouth.
that is puppy for you.
there are many ways i use to stop the biting of pants legs.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 10:44:34 pm by jabear »
Photography by Christine

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:53:50 am »
hey guys.. i just want to say thank you for all of the advice.  I'm going to most likely have to agree with sasha and her owner, because im really starting to think this is a true puppy phase... but i would like to thank you all for your quick responses.  In terms of asking about my breeder, no worries, they are VERY reputible!  and are great when i have questions.  They have told me about saying "no bite" and then giving him something that's correct to bite.  they also suggested the frozen rags and ice cubes, which he loves.  I was just simply asking other newfie owners for their advice, to see if they had any other opinions or suggestions.  but again, thanks for all the suggestions
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:18:10 am »
awwwwww
what an innocent little face.
how could he be guilty of what you say???
 :-*
Photography by Christine

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 07:39:31 am »
oh i know!  :P that's what i said... he's such a sweetheart! you just look at him and melt! i can't be upset with him for more than a minute!  haha..  actually just now he stole the phone on the couch, turned it on, and ran away with it!  lol! gotta love him!  ;)

Offline Hudson

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 08:24:22 am »
We have had success with two things:
1.  When dog bites (except upon arrival, see below), react with scream, fall down and howl.  Lets dog know he has hurt you. [warning, this works with newfs, not prey driven dogs like terrors (deliberate spelling error) who find the noise rewarding].  Newfs hate hurting people.  I'm told that's why they have such sharp little teeth - so pack can feel bite more easily and discipline.

2.  If dog assaults you upon your arrival (jumping, barking, biting, etc), turn back and ignore dog.  Don't speak, don't look in eye.  When dog quiets, get down to face level and love him up.  Dog is seeking attention and even bad attention (yelling, etc) is attention and dog has won game.  Ignore dog, he loses game.  Reward upon being quiet teaches dog to be gentle upon your arrival and reward follows.

Finally - lots of chew toys.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 07:58:45 am »
oh dear guys!! i think i'm at a loss... i feel like i've tried everything! everything you all have suggested, as well as multiple books... but everytime i either try to tell him "no bite" or cry when he nips, he thinks it's a game, barks at me and then attacks me!  The same with the ignoring.  If i try to walk away, he attacks the back of my legs!  and those little puppy teeth are definately at their peak!  does anybody else have any other suggestions or could offer me some help??

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 08:19:07 am »
A tired newf is a good newf.
first where is he being excersised?
he is bored most likely, a bored newf is a mouthy newf.
is he getting an outlet for his energy?
is he going potty on leash?
Freedom is NO GOOD
it is boot camp time.
Some people use this
 50%/50% vinegar/water.

It does work,use a mist. You can carry a small mist bottle with you when you go for a walk. Mist directly in the face, A gal that just joined big paws posted that this works for her.

newfoundlands all have that arm in the mouth trait going, why?
becouse they do grab some part of a person to drag them to shore when saving them.
as new owners it is their responsibility to teach him that is unacceptable, becouse it can and does get carried away.
First i try placing my fist all the way to the back of his mouth, hold it there, than take it out, present hand, if he licks goooood a quiet goooood and than if he bites repeat placing fist in back of mouth holding it there, it is teaching him it is unpleasant having hands in mouth, reward him if when you take it out he licks.
what i do with some of the overzealous pups is pop them on the nose quick and tell them fooey or bad.
each time they do it, and than, once they start to get the jist, if i Anticipate them going to do it, i will say in a very deep voice, DONT even think about it, and they back off. LOL
it is gonna take a lot of work.
Do leash work with him
FOR THE BITING OF LEGS
when he is after the calf of your leg, snap your calf backwards into his nose with foot still on ground, do this each time he is ready to nip, this teaches him that it is unpleasant to his nose when he tries to go after your calf.
is your breeder there for you?
is your breeder helping you?
i would hope so.

i would try channeling him into doing about turns and walking quickly, and if he does it a quick pop on the nose to startle him than keep working him.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 08:46:54 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 09:19:55 am »
thanks!  i'll give these new tips a shot!  oh and no worries about the breeder, they are Great!!  ;D i was just hoping to get some other opinions and ideas from other newfie and large dog ownerS! and you all have been great!  thanks so much!  this is my first dog on my own... my family has had plenty, but this is my first baby! and i just want to make sure that i'm doing everything right!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:16 pm »
Keep us updated on Fumble's progress though.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.