Author Topic: Bought DVP Natural Balance Potato & Duck..  (Read 8754 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Bought DVP Natural Balance Potato & Duck..
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 04:50:35 pm »
Just wanted to jump into this disucssion...o ur Bo was switched to Eukanuba Fish & Potato to treat her cow pie disorder (probably IBS) and it really helped!  My only problem is that she doesn't like the kibble as a treat for her obedience.  I emailed Eukanuba to ask if there was a treat that would compliment the FP diet, but didn't get a response.  I fed her some Mother Hubbard liver treats over the weekend & BOY am I sorry I did that!  We're back to cow pies.  Anyway, does anyone have any suggesions about treats for dogs on special diets? 
Thanks!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 04:53:35 pm »
I think liver is a bit rich for any of the pups on special diets.  Dried chicken or turkey is a big hit around here.  Also Cowboy loves apples.  Anything that really low in fat (preferabley non fat) should be okay.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 05:07:17 pm »
Oh, duh.  I didn't even think about the liver being too rich!!!  Sit me in the corner with a dunce cap! =)  I'll check for some low-fat treats...perha ps that will work better.  I was giving her liver treats becuase I was sticking with the "alternative protien" theory.
Thanks!
Jenn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 05:17:24 pm »
I've learned the hard (okay, maybe the opposite of hard :P!!) way!  Dried fish is another good choice...but maybe start with chicken or turkey since I think that's the lowest in fat.  :D

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »
Where do you get the dried chicken/turkey??  Our local Petco doesn't carry such things!
Jenn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 06:11:12 pm »
I just checked.....an d they are right here at the BPO store....chick en, turkey, fish.  I've given Cowboy the 'whole life' line and he did great on them!

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 06:26:43 pm »
Try Gold's Freezed Dried Lamb Lung. My fur kids are nuts for it.

You can also try CharlieB's Dog treats.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Lyn

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 06:40:23 pm »
I just noticed that this post back in the active topics. So I thought I'd give an update.

I switched Bubba off the Natural Balance.. and onto Solid Gold Hundenflocken (lamb) about 8 weeks ago. He has had solidish stools up until yesterday. So I tried to figure out what he's possibly eaten that upset his tummy. Well I figured it out..

The snow in the potty area has melted and uncovered the poop in the yard. I 'thought' I saw him eat some yesterday but I couldn't tell for sure since he also eats grass/mud  ::) But this morning I decided I better go outside with him and I caught him red handed. He never eats his own poop.. we live with a toy poodle and it's her poop he's snacking on. So not only it is gross.. it's giving him nasty bouts of the runs.  >:(

So his poop eating is what's been causing the loose stool all along. I thought he had quit this yucky habit. But I guess I was wrong. So I'm back to taking him out to potty on leash and correcting him when he attempts to snack.  :(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 07:34:30 pm »
Regarding the Solid Gold Hundenflocken, I got it for Chester as well and he liked it better than most other kibbles he's had, but a dog food store owner pointed out to me that it's for medium sized dogs.  Even on the back of the bag, it only goes to 70 pounds, I think.  It does give the formula to figure out for larger dogs, but do you think there is any harm to feeding a giant breed puppy food that is meant for smaller dogs?

Lyn

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 09:30:52 am »
Hmmm.. I checked my bag and your right, the bag only lists to 70 pounds. I did a quick search and lots of large and giant breed owners are feeding it. Definitely to breeds that are way over 70 pounds. Maybe if I get around to it today I'll email Solid Gold and ask and I'll post their reply.

But after reading the bag I don't think I'm feeding Bubba enough. ???  I've giving him 6 cups a day and Bubba is around 125 pounds now. They list 4-5 cups (I think, I don't have the bag in front of me) for a 70 pound dog. If that's correct I'm way underfeeding him.  :-\