Author Topic: Thoughts after 1 Bag of Costco Kirkland Signature brand  (Read 18566 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Thoughts after 1 Bag of Costco Kirkland Signature brand
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:55:03 am »
They finished the 40# bag last week... This food is wonderfully cheap and nutritious @ < $20/bag. It's a bit low on the kcals, but relatively high on the protein. has glucosamine + chondroitin so important for large breeds. don't see omega fatty acids shown or mentioned but.. i have a huge bottle of fish oil pills from costco.

that said:
both dogs dislike this food. Nikki developed a free freeding habit near the end of the bag. and Cody soon followed!!  >:( >:( >:(

after the initial soft poopy, nikki's firmed up better than cody did. i attribute this to the high(er) protein content. for doggies that may have hot spots and isn't allergic to chicken, kirklan'is just a KILLER bargain. there is also a lamb formula, but it's not wholly lamb so i went w/ the chicken instead... as of right now, they're both back on canidae and w/i 2 days of finishing the switch, they have firm stool... now to get 'em back on the feeding schedule.. ugh...

Ingredients (off www.mordanna.c om )
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, etc.

Analysis:
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Fiber: 4%
Moisture: 10%

Glucosamine Hydrochloride min 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate min 100 mg/kg*

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts after 1 Bag of Costco Kirkland Signature brand
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:58:46 am »
Apache's breeder just switched to that, she has a lot of fur kids. She likes it. I don't go to Costco I belong to BJ'S & they don't carry it. I thought Walmart was part of Costco? Hopefully I'll find it around here somewere.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 03:55:59 am »
Kirkland Super Premium Chicken and Rice is Tulsas brand. She has always been a free feeder whatever food was out, so that's never been an issue. 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups in the evening.
It does contain Omega 6 Fatty Acids 2.5% minimum, and Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.4% minimum. I'm assuming from the fishmeal.
Her stool is firm and the quantity is suprisingly small considering the amount she eats. And the smell is minimal. So she's utilizing the food very well.
 Her coat is bright, her teeth are clean, her breath is sweet. Very healthy.
I tried a bag of the Lamb and Rice but Tulsa didn't like it, so it was back to the Chicken.
I compared it to the high end brands at Petsmart and couldn't find any significant advantages.
And the price is right!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 04:52:42 am »
Carolyn, don't know where you are, but Costco is 200% superior than BJs (for a period of time in NYC, i had both memberships). Costco is the antithesis of Walmart. Think Michael vs. Lucifer. Costco has excellent labor practices, carry good products and treats their employees/stock holders well. not to mention Costco has the best warranty/return policy in the entire retail business (ever try to return a computer after 30 days at bestbuy? good luck!)

After this bag of Canidae, i'm going to try the Costco Lamb & Rice and see if they like it.. if they don't.. back to Canidae they go...

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 04:55:30 am »
Im on eastern Long Island. My sister-in law is a manager at BJ's so I get the membership for free & actually I haven't had a problem. I like to buy in bulk & the meat there is usually good. I'll definatley try Costco if I can, it kills me to pay the membership fees (guess Im cheap!)
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 05:11:35 am »
We feed our cats the Kirkland food and they seem to love it.  I thought before that it was cheap and bad for them, but our breeder fed her Newfs the Kirkland dog food (Nutri Nuggets?) and said it was good for them.  Drake has such a sensitive stomach that I don't think he would like it too much.  He has diarrhea all the time and when he doesn't, he drops big loose cowpies.  So gross.....   Poor buddy, wish he didn't have such food issues. :(
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 05:40:13 am »
I remember reading somewhere that the Kirkland is very similar to the Nutra Max at walmart.  My mom feeds Kirkland to her dog.  She tried it after trying everything else because her dog has pancreatitis.  It seems to work for him.  I tried to get her to try a raw diet, but she says the kirkland works for her.  I think if something you try works for you, then by all means, go for it. :)
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

henrysmomma

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:53:03 am »
Do you know if this food is available in Canada?

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 06:04:37 am »
henrysmomma: don't know if kirkland signature food is avail in Canadian Costco's, but there are definitely Costco's in Canada:
http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx?country=Canada
give 'em a call.

DaneInsaneLiz: no, kirkland is not a division of Diamond. Diamond mfg's a LOT of food for a lot of d'frent whole sellers at d'frent specs. Kirkland is Costco's own 'private/generic' brand and yes it is mfg's by Diamond. Diamond does mfg a lotta CRAP tho.. so watch out ;)

Carolyn: heh.. i knew you were in NY somewhere... Costco may be BJ's arch nemesis but... seriously.. shopping at Costco (and i've shopped in Costco in 5 d'frent states) makes me FEEL good. like.. a vegan/liberal democrat/hippie good ... and no, i don't own Costco stock. tho i really should.

henrysmomma

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 06:07:22 am »
Thanks, I'll give em a call ;D

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 06:29:28 am »
I had a neighbor who fed diamond to her dogs because she insists that the higher the protein level the better the food. (It has something like 31%)  She said she was tired of cleaning up poop and they only went once a day on Diamond.  Let me tell you, she's has two dogs with horrible stomach problems and they are both severely overweight.  Then again, she also believes that heartworms is not a problem in dogs.  Both of her dogs have it and she never treated them.  She said her Vet in Louisiana told her that there was no need to treat them, just give them heartguard and the adults would die off in about 7 years.  That's a whole other story though.  :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 07:24:45 am »
Newf Lover, I am having the same issue with Sugar Bear.  We had the first semi-firm poop today, ;D which was great since he has been having diarrhea and cow pies for months.  What have you found that works?  Sugar Bear has been to the vet 4 times with tummy issues since January.  The vet can not find anything wrong.  He is on Natures Recipe, 2 caps of slippery elm, 2 lactobacillus-acidophilus, solid gold dzymes, 1t of flaxseed meal.  I am at a lost for what to try next.  Sometimes it will get a little better for a day and then it is back to the soft poop. 

Lisa

We feed our cats the Kirkland food and they seem to love it.  I thought before that it was cheap and bad for them, but our breeder fed her Newfs the Kirkland dog food (Nutri Nuggets?) and said it was good for them.  Drake has such a sensitive stomach that I don't think he would like it too much.  He has diarrhea all the time and when he doesn't, he drops big loose cowpies.  So gross.....   Poor buddy, wish he didn't have such food issues. :(
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 07:46:53 am »
Newf Lover, I am having the same issue with Sugar Bear.  We had the first semi-firm poop today, ;D which was great since he has been having diarrhea and cow pies for months.  What have you found that works?  Sugar Bear has been to the vet 4 times with tummy issues since January.  The vet can not find anything wrong.  He is on Natures Recipe, 2 caps of slippery elm, 2 lactobacillus-acidophilus, solid gold dzymes, 1t of flaxseed meal.  I am at a lost for what to try next.  Sometimes it will get a little better for a day and then it is back to the soft poop. 

Lisa

Dixie, have you tried adding either sweet potatoes or natural pumpkin to their diet.  This works wonders with my dogs.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 07:10:58 pm »
I have one more question, has anyone every heard of Ultra Nutro Dog food.  I did a holistic dog food search and it came up.  Anyone ever try it?  And if so, what did you think?

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 09:06:56 pm »
...  I thought Walmart was part of Costco? ...
Carolyn
You just made Sam Walton spin in his grave!! ;D