Author Topic: Is my Megz's Weight ok for her age?  (Read 7870 times)

SaintBernardLuver

Is my Megz's Weight ok for her age?
« on: October 12, 2005, 07:13:26 am »
Hi,I have a 5 month old Saint bernard.Shes a girl and Weighs about 57lbs.Is that a good weight?I had someone tell me cause she is small she wont get over 90lbs.Is this true?Im feeding her pro plan its the best you can buy around here.And she gets 3 cups 3 times a day.Will hs evetually grow bigger?Please anyone help me I love her either way but if she dont get over 90lbs we wanna get another saint.Thanx for the help

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Megz's Weight ok for her age?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 07:16:28 am »
why would u get another St. Bernie if she's not over 90 lbs? just curious?

Nikki is EXTREMELY skinny as well. almost 8 months and < 75 lbs. she's being fed premium food at 5 cups+ a day. tho she was sick for a coupla weeks.. and now is barely free feeding... whole nother story...

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:25:11 am »
Hi SaintBernardLu ver, Welcome to BPO!

Whoever told you she wouldn't grow must not know Saints very well.
57lbs is a fine weight for a 5 month old saint!  When Zoey was 5 months old, she weighed about 55lbs; now at 16 months, she is around 120.

I have one question for you: are you feeding 9 cups a day because thats how many calories she requires or the bag suggests, or is it because you want her to grow faster?  9 cups sounds like alot for a 55lb pup. At that age, you want your saint gaining about 3lbs a week, and the slower that they grow the better :)  She will still end up the same size when she is full grown, but the longer it takes to get there, the better her hips will be in the long run.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 07:26:07 am by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

awo

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 07:49:54 am »
Your little girl is growing just fine.  What type of pro plan do you feed her, because we use the same for our saint dudley?  We also give a can of the pro plan soft food everyday also.  It also sounds to me like you really haven't done your research on how the saints grow.  They don't fill out until there atleast 3 years of age.  The earlier post also was correct on not wanting your saint to grow to fast. 

awo

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 07:51:10 am »
if saints are like newfs, they will go thru a gangly, long and lean stage.  they don't reach their full development til around age three.  Better to grow slow, mature long, and have healthy joints.
Karen

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 06:05:37 am »
There is nothing wrong with the weight of your girl...keep in mind females are smaller than males.How large your Saint will be depends on genetics...not what you feed them neccesarilly.I have the oppasite problem mine is to large! I wanted him to stay smaller longer!He is too big to be such a clumsy nuckleheaded pup.Bubba is 6 months and 110lbs He will be large due to genetics though...his Dad was 220 and his Mom was 185 and both were very tall dogs...we only feed him 6 cups of kibble per day and no people food! Not all Saints are XL none the less they are still wonderful dogs :)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:32:07 am »
I know you're probably just anxious to see how big your Saint gets, but she's got A LOT of growing time left.  Don't rush her.  As others have said, if she grows too quick, she'll have problems later on.  She's only 5 months old and an impressive 57lbs.  Plenty of time left to get over 90lbs.  But if she somehow didn't get over 90lbs, what did you mean by you would want to get another one?  Would you get rid of her? ???
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline renate1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:12:57 pm »
Average weight for female Saint at 5 months is 65 lbs.  For average weights of Saints go to www.acay.com.a u/~dissi/sbc/weight.htm
Remember these are averages.  I would go more off of overall health of the dog than the actual weight.  Also remember people like to overexaggerate the size of their big dogs so claims of 200+ lb dogs are usually just that.  Yes there are some dogs that weigh that much but they are usually out of shape.    The male shown in my profile picture weighs roughly 165-170 lbs and he is a nice muscular male roughly 31.5 inches at the shoulder.  I have seen dogs on several peoples websites smaller than this and they claim their dogs are 200+ pounds....does n't seem right

Yaz

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 01:01:05 pm »
it's too bad that dogs didn't have BMI indexs - that would put a lot of owners' fears to rest about whether their dogs are underweight or overweight. I think that the bone mass and frame size are vital in determining a Saint's proper weight. When we first visited Saint Breeders we saw quite a variety in the weights of the adult dogs, as a weight restriction is not specified by the CKC or AKC kennel club. I do think that the heavier boned dogs will naturally weigh more than the smaller framed dogs. Here is a picture of Gershwin at 10 weeks and Gershwins father at seven months of age - you can see the very large heavy bone structure of the dogs that lead to a heavier weight - the breeders males tend to weigh close to and a bit over 200 pounds - not fat, just heavy boned and muscular.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:21:45 pm »
Gershwin is so cute.I just love him.I wish he could play with Spotakiss.I cant remember how much Spotakiss weighed at 5 months.Do you know how much the mother weighed?Genetics plays a large role in how big they get.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:13:35 pm »
Riley is about 80 pounds at about a week short of 7 months right now. He was 68 or so at 6 months, I think (?). I'd have to look. That's under the "average" on the only chart I've found on the internet (the one someone mentioned above). But he's been slightly behind that chart all along, and it's gotten to be a slightly bigger difference. However, he was growing at about 3.8 pounds a week from mid-October through the end of December (3.5 months to 6 months old), which is very fast. I'd rather he didn't grow that fast, as it's easier on his joints.

I figure, he'll get there eventually. If he grows slower, great. I wouldn't be concerned about 57 pounds at 5 months... That sounds pretty close to what Riley was, though I'd have to look, like I said. His mom was 135 and his dad was 185. But, hey, he could stop growing today and it wouldn't matter to me... well, aside from the panic of "Is something wrong? He's not even 7 months old..." LOL.

Yaz

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:08:28 pm »
Here are some pics of Saints that are heavy bone - both are champions and you can see from their massive heads they are bigger than the average.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 02:35:39 am »
oH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT HEAD ITS HUGE!!!!!!! :o

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 01:39:00 am »
HOLY COW THAT HEAD!  WOW, I would love to have a saint that big, other than he wouldn't fit into my teeny tiny little house.  Thor is a few days away from being five months and he's 65-68lbs and not fat, he has a nice waist line (I wish mine was so nice lol) and you can feel ribs but not see them.  I really wouldn't worry about it, she'll grow.  Maybe right now is just before a growth spurt lol.  I swear some days I can come home from work and Thor's grown lol.  I still can't get over how HUGE those saints are, where can I get one, that way when my car breaks down i'll just ride the dog to work LOL.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Yaz

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 04:28:29 pm »
Yes, those are really huge heads. When we first went to visit the breeder with our old Saint puppy Guinness he did a yelp! when he saw them and ran back to the car!