Author Topic: Reading With Rover Program  (Read 5819 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Reading With Rover Program
« on: October 16, 2005, 01:07:40 pm »
Has anyone heard of this program? If so, is anyone doing it or has anyone had their kids involved with a program like this? I am just wondering because this seemed so cool. It incorportates kids with reading problems and dogs. I'm trying to find out as much information as I can about ir so any help would be great.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Reading With Rover Program
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:54:48 pm »
Holly that would be awesome! I know how important the fluency is and I work on it everyday in class but I would love to read you article. Have you known of anyone who has actually done this work with their dog?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:33:04 am »
This is an AWESOME program!  They do it in our area, but with little dogs only! :'(  I think there may be a lab too but they try to keep the doggies small which I think is not so fair.  But it has helped so many kids, the program overall is wonderful.  If they ever did allow big dogs to participate I'd still have to wait til Koby was 10yrs old and arthritic otherwise he'd be doing zoomies in the library! lol

Andi

Offline LoveMySiberian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Barks 'N Bites Pet Sitting and Day Care
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:36:53 am »
I was watching a segment about that on Animal Planet  last night.. it was some special program about communication with animals. It was so nice and touching, I would love to get Taz into that or a therapy dog!
Jackie
Taz's Mom

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 01:42:00 am »
What a wonderful program!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 01:45:58 am »
I had a friend who started a program like this locally with Delta dogs. It was a great success. It was slightly different, though. The kids had to read a certain number of books on their own. Once they completed that, they got to read a book to one of the dogs and they got a little dog stuffed animal to commemorate their achievement.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:26:28 am »
I have never heard of that program, but it sounds awesome! I would love to get zoey involved in something like that
RIP former BPO