Author Topic: Sleepless in Ohio  (Read 7704 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Sleepless in Ohio
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:39:18 am »
Help I know Spotakiss is still a puppy but he wakes me up three or four times a night.If I go to bed with the door shut he scratches until I open it.Is he just lonely or does he reaaly need to go out?Any pointers?

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Sleepless in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:01:38 am »
Bailey is kenneled at night, and she has been sleeping through the night since she was 9 weeks old.  I take her out at 10:00pm before I go to bed and let her out again at 6:45am.  She has never had an accident in her kennel (crate).  What type of feeding schedule do you have him on?  That might make a differance, too!  Bailey is fed at 5:00pm and has a little water at 7:00pm and then no food or water after that.

new2saints

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:32:32 am »
Well I thought too before that maybe I was feeding him water too late so I stopped.He still got me up .Then I was thinking maybe he was thirsty.I usually have him fed at 9 pm because I dnt get home until1:30 am anyway and take him out then I have to get up at 6:00 am for my son .So I know he can hold it longer than that hes done it before.Help

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:19:19 pm »
Hi there,

I sympathise.  For the first few months of Day-z living here i was getting up at all hours of the night to a crying puppy and walking her.  It was common for me to be walking up and down the street at 4am for example.  The thing was though, it never made any difference to whether she was dry or not.  I tried not to give in to her barking and in the day it was easy, but at 2am i had to think of the neighbours.

So, at the advice of my dog trainer, i bought one of those Citronella collars that spray Citronella when they bark.  It is the best thing i ever did.  The barking stopped, and since i bought this i have never had to get up at night.  But, the best thing is, it has calmed Day-z down completely.  Before she would bark and scratch on her room door at night.  Now she neither barks nor scratches.  Instead she will just sit by her door and look for people.  I cannot remember the last time she wore the bark collar as there is no longer any need for it.  But, believe me, it has changed the behaviour of her so much.  

Now, when she does bark it is only once.

And, the thing only ever sprayed her at most 4 times.  Then she just calmed down.

And, before anyone thinks it scared her so much and that is why she no longer barks, not at all.  She is completely happy and healthy.

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:21:43 pm by dufus »

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice dufus.Day z is really cute.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:48:59 pm »
Spotakiss is beautiful, err i mean very handsome.

He is a long hair ?  Day-z is short and loves to sunbathe....

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 09:02:51 pm »
2 words...CRATE TRAINING!!!!....We brought our Pyr Samson home at 3 & 1/2 months...He was in a barn until that as his parents are L.G.D.'s but he has been a hous edog since night one here...I put Sam in the crate from the 1st night & we have never had an accident in the crate or any barking or whining tht wasn't truley warrented during the night.