Author Topic: Backwards Sneezing  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Backwards Sneezing
« on: October 16, 2005, 02:15:42 am »
Lately Finley has been doing this backwards sneezing thing, it sounds like she is sucking in air and can't catch her breath.  It is only every once in a while.  She also sometimes sounds like she is hacking up a hair ball, also not a constant thing.  Also when she sleeps she has this deep wheezing sounding breath, it almost sounds like a person w/ asthma or something.  Her health seems really good, and the weird coughing stuff doesn't seem to bother her at all.  I'm only asking b/c I know there is that flu going around and i'm wondering if these may be symptoms.  Do I need to be worried?  Could it be something else?  Do Saints have any inherent breathing problems I should watch for?  Hopefully someone will have some insight into this.  Thanks! ;D

P.S.  Here are more pictures of my little girl!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Backwards Sneezing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 02:42:39 am »
I dont' know about breathing problems, but when Keiko had reverse sneezing, it was contributed to allergies.  I actually thought she had something up her nose, so I took her into the vet, and was relieved to find out it was only allergies.  She is now on meds twice a day all year to control them.

Offline 4dogmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 03:02:18 am »
being the worry kind of moms that we are. I have to tell you My first Dane did the same thing, so I ran her to the vet thinking the bad thoughts. He laughed and said she has a small cold give her some benadryl and she will be fine. Post nasel drip is what he called it. Now I don't panic when my other fur babies do that.
Sophia (dane)
Shyla (dane)
Tyosn (pit)
Neno (pit)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 04:14:57 am »
As far as the flu that's been going around, the main symptoms are similar to kennel cough, just a bit more extreme.  Coughing, high temp, runny nose, lethargic, loss of appetite.  I've also heard they could include rapid breathing/heartbeat.

We believe Gunther had this flu, so I memorized all the symptoms, to which he showed signs of all of them.

And I should say that reverse sneezing alone does not necessarily signify allergies..... .......Keiko has several other allergy problems, the sneezing was just the one that showed up last.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 04:33:32 am »
Thanks everybody!  I was actually kind of scared to read your responses, for fear that it would be bad news.  I'm glad to hear that I probably don't need to be rushing her to the vet.  She seems really active and healthy so for now i'll just keep an eye on it. 

As far as her sleepy wheezing it could just be heavy breathing.  I don't hear it any other time even after she has been running or playing.  Thanks again for all of your reassurences.

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:45:19 am »
Thanks everybody!  I was actually kind of scared to read your responses, for fear that it would be bad news.  I'm glad to hear that I probably don't need to be rushing her to the vet.  She seems really active and healthy so for now i'll just keep an eye on it. 

As far as her sleepy wheezing it could just be heavy breathing.  I don't hear it any other time even after she has been running or playing.  Thanks again for all of your reassurences.

No experience with allergies here...but I just have to say - WOA...cute pup!!!  Adorable, and you've got 2, I'm jealous!   ;D